THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 05:51:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Features for 2011  (Read 75034 times)
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: 13-Apr-11, 10:40:09 AM »

It's true DoggyMom, it's not as clear as last year. Maybe Shaky can explain why. gum

MAK, I have to agree that the pics - even the still cam views, are not as clear as they were.  It seems to have worsened in the past few weeks. I  think the pics were clearer this winter -- both at home and at work.  I thought it was my eyes!    The pics  (or maybe it my eyes) are lacking the sharpness they previously had.   
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: 13-Apr-11, 11:06:34 AM »

Main Camera video is not as sharp as the other cameras because it's from the camera's viewfinder.

However, to say it's not as "clear" as last year is a mistake because we didn't have video from Main camera last year.

The 2nd stream displays 4 cameras simultaneously. Each camera has only a quarter of the window so it naturally doesn't contain as much detail as it would if it occupied the whole thing.

The only way to get sharper images from the 4 cameras is have 1 camera per stream. We have 5 cameras and 2 streams. Increasing the number of streams is impractical. We already broadcast more streams than most wildlife webcams. Decreasing the number of cameras could result in missing an important viewing angle. Sequentially switching cameras periodically is not an option because it was disliked by so many viewers last year. ("The cameras are switching too quickly." "The cameras are switching too slowly.")

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: 13-Apr-11, 11:07:26 AM »

even the still cam views, are not as clear as they were.  It seems to have worsened in the past few weeks. I  think the pics were clearer this winter -- both at home and at work.  I thought it was my eyes!    The pics  (or maybe it my eyes) are lacking the sharpness they previously had.  

I find that hard to believe. Please post some examples.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 13-Apr-11, 11:09:40 AM »

Main Camera video is not as sharp as the other cameras because it's from the camera's viewfinder.

However, to say it's not as "clear" as last year is a mistake because we didn't have video from Main camera last year.

The 2nd stream displays 4 cameras simultaneously. Each camera has only a quarter of the window so it naturally doesn't contain as much detail as it would if it occupied the whole thing.

The only way to get sharper images from the 4 cameras is have 1 camera per stream. We have 5 cameras and 2 streams. Increasing the number of streams is impractical. We already broadcast more streams than most wildlife webcams. Decreasing the number of cameras could result in missing an important viewing angle. Sequentially switching cameras periodically is not an option because it was disliked by so many viewers last year. ("The cameras are switching too quickly." "The cameras are switching too slowly.")

Don't forget you can click to make the screens bigger on Live stream. Nice feature.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 13-Apr-11, 11:58:04 AM »

The only one that seems a tad off to me is cam 2, but I think it's because it's focused more on the pebbles than the bird.  It wasn't apparent when we were just watching gravel, but now that they're incubating the birds seem a bit "soft" on the focus.  It was blurry the other day when it was overexposed, but that part of it is OK now. 

Cam 1 & 4 will necessarily be affected by the weather

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: 13-Apr-11, 12:44:12 PM »

Camera 2 is a lot sharper than it was last year. See the picture attached to Donna's post from March 2010. (her 2000th post, btw)

http://rfalconcam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1096.msg9229#msg9229
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 13-Apr-11, 12:53:36 PM »

Camera 2 is a lot sharper than it was last year. See the picture attached to Donna's post from March 2010. (her 2000th post, btw)

Oh, that's for sure...MUCH better than the old cams~

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 13-Apr-11, 02:49:03 PM »

Big difference in quality for sure.

2000th post.... peanuts!

gr0tt0
Big Clutch

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 21-Jun-11, 11:20:52 AM »

This website is awesome and a true benefit to the birding community as well as the community at large.  The still photographs that get posted are amazing.   thumbsup

I wonder if there should be a separate category in the Forum for the posting of the photos?  I'm never really clear where to look for pictures.  They, or their links, seem to be spread over several categories.  Just wondering.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 21-Jun-11, 11:31:38 AM »

This website is awesome and a true benefit to the birding community as well as the community at large.  The still photographs that get posted are amazing.   thumbsup

I wonder if there should be a separate category in the Forum for the posting of the photos?  I'm never really clear where to look for pictures.  They, or their links, seem to be spread over several categories.  Just wondering.

Way to go on your 1st post gr0tt0. All photos posted from the cams are under "Rochester Falcon Discussion" on the main page. Each category like RM and Tiago, Quest and all offspring is under  "Rochester Falcon Offspring" I think it would cause more confusion to put all the pics in one category. Over time, you will certainly find your way around and be a pro at this. Thanks for posting.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 21-Jun-11, 11:33:37 AM »

Well, we sort of have a thread for pictures, but it seems to function more as a general discussion thread with pictures.  There is another thread called Keepers for special photos, but I don't know that it's actually used much.

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: 21-Jun-11, 09:20:18 PM »

Congrats on your first post, gr0tt0!
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: 11-Jan-12, 09:35:52 AM »

Now that 2012 is here, I thought it would be a good time to review our accomplishments for 2011.

• 24/7 streaming video from 5 cameras

• More viewing options for streaming video (all on one page or in separate, resizable windows)

• A 3rd video stream added for special events

• Temperature readings added to streaming video

• Embedded videos (YouTube, Ustream, etc.) in Forum posts

• Embedded Google Maps in Forum posts

• Automatic inclusion of member names, avatars, and signatures into Forum posts sent to Kfalconcam

• Easier to use FalconWatch blog

• Public access to the controls of Camera 1

• An expanded tilt range for Camera 1 that allows zoomed-in views of the tops of Downtown structures

• A nightly time-lapse pan of Camera 1

• Pictures from our cameras with banners on the sides that don't obstruct image content

• Improved falcon family trees

• Glossary of Rfalconcam terms

• A fresh new look to the site

In addition, many changes were made behind the scenes.

• Site moved to a new server resulting in a cost reduction of 75%

• Improvements to image processing

• Automatic uploads of Dailies to YouTube

• Improved spam protection for the Forum

• Computer equipment at Times Square Building moved to a climate-controlled environment

• Various bits of Hardware upgraded at Times Square Building to improve reliability

• New sponsors

• ROC'ed The Day for the lion's share of $6,500

« Last Edit: 12-Jan-12, 11:54:34 AM by Shaky » Logged
Wing Goose
Tiercel

Like Count: 37

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 12-Jan-12, 05:18:35 PM »

Thanks Shaky.  You are absolutely MARVELOUS!
Thank you for all your efforts all year long.
                 bravo     sunshine   bravo
                                    Lola

Lola
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 12-Jan-12, 05:25:06 PM »

Thanks Shaky.  You are absolutely MARVELOUS!
Thank you for all your efforts all year long.
                 bravo     sunshine   bravo
                                    Lola

ditto

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: