THE FORUM

23-Sep-24, 03:24:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABC of Birds -M-  (Read 18109 times)
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 268

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25-Nov-10, 09:26:31 AM »

M is for Merganser

When we are at the cabin on Sandy Island, in Lake Winnipesaukee (NH), we get big flocks of Common Mergansers.  They are big diving ducks that swim low in the water, looking strange and archaic, like Civil War submarines.  The beaks have tooth-like serrations for grabbing fish -- you can just make them out in one of the pictures.  They have these strange, shaggy red heads, except for the males, who a slicked-down look for mating season -- think Clark Gable in Gone With the Wind only green.  The courtship displays are said to be totally crazy. We miss this, since we are only on the island in August, when everyone is calm and back to red.

Paul
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25-Nov-10, 09:48:10 AM »

MACAW

I took this at the Lima (Peru) zoo.

Dale

Nice crop, Dale!!  This is a family forum, you know -- right? hysterical

I was thinking the same thing, Anne!

Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25-Nov-10, 12:34:38 PM »

Murre, Common

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Murre

anneintoronto
« Reply #18 on: 25-Nov-10, 02:33:18 PM »

Mynah Bird

Many years ago when I was a kid my mother had a Mynah bird that talked and sang. Now 50+ years later I find out it's in the Crow family but talks.  Now if I could post a picture???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLlGKhJ4sbs&feature=related

Who knows what you'll see.

Rita

Rita -- the Maynah bird talking is quite amazing!  I've never heard any bird say much of anything comprehensible, although the owners swear they are great linguists...  I must intimidate them!  But this bird is so clear, so deliberate, so funny!  Thanks for airing the video!  By the way, when I was in public school, a crow, with a split tongue escaped and landed in a tree near our classroom...  He did have a few single words he would say, each time accompanied by a screech before and after each utterance -- actually, all I remember are numbers... -- , but I was mostly amazed to see a crow interacting visually and physically with a classroom of children hanging out of the classroom windows!  He wasn't intimidated at all and "played the crowd"!!  A funny little memory!  Wonder if its owner ever recaptured it...

Thanks for the video
Anne in Toronto
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25-Nov-10, 02:46:23 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMEccNLXcQc&NR=1 Here's the same bird...so funny!

Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25-Nov-10, 03:09:37 PM »

I've never heard any bird say much of anything comprehensible, although the owners swear they are great linguists... 
Anne in Toronto[/color]

My Mom has had a succession of Parakeets over the years, who showed varying talent in that direction.  The most memorable one was Skipper, and he would go on and on.  She had an appliance service man there one day, and was in the other room chuckling as the bird went through his extensive repertoire in the kitchen, ending with "LISTEN, I'm TALKING to you!!".  Finally, the poor guy came in and said "Is that bird FOR REAL???"
Carol
WV
anneintoronto
« Reply #21 on: 25-Nov-10, 05:17:14 PM »

M is for Mute Swan

Overview

Mute Swan: Aggressive [nasty, horrible, dastardly, odious, etc.] bird, entirely white, orange bill with large black basal knob and naked black lores [the space between the eye and bill in a bird] . Curved neck is often stained with pigments from iron or algae [or pollution!]. Legs and feet are black. Feeds on aquatic plants collected from bottom [of the bay!]. Direct flight with strong steady wing beats.

Range and Habitat

Mute Swan: Prefers freshwater, salt marshes, and protected bays [like the Toronto Humber Bay, which is partly natural and partly contrived by bored, unimaginative humans].

[almost all the information above is from: http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/1025/overview/Mute_Swan.aspx]

Finally, a bird that I have taken a photo of -- I have been waiting for half of the alphabet!!  hysterical  This particular Mute Swan was gliding around on the Toronto Humber Bay Park East, going West, on the shore of Lake Ontario, one of the famous Great Lakes, which are shared [in the name of friendship...occasionally...but that's another story!!] by Canada and The United States.  Mute swans aren't actually mute, just not as noisy as some of its cousins...  But, I'm telling you, when one is chasing you, feet in fast waddle mode, neck outstretched, hissing and squawking and ready to give you a good pinch, it sure sounds #*^$*@ loud enough!!

Just so you know -- in case you are cornered by your grandchildren and don't want to appear ignorant -- a group of swans is called one of the following [you don't have to learn them all, but two would be impressive!!]: a "ballet", "bevy", "drift", "regatta", and "school" of swans.  I really get off on the "Regatta of Mute Swans"...  Sounds nautical and symmetrical!  But that's just my humble opinion, for what it's worth...  Take your pick!!

Anne in Toronto

Mute Swan sharpening its bill in preparation!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25-Nov-10, 09:17:03 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMEccNLXcQc&NR=1 Here's the same bird...so funny!

That was great fun! Thanks Donna! clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 26-Nov-10, 01:50:07 AM »

I have some more photos of Macaws -- all taken in Amazonian Peru.

The first is a set of macaws at a clay lick.  The macaws visit these licks and eat the clay...it's pretty spectacular to see a large group of colorful macaws and parrots swarming over the clay and chattering.

The second photo is of a Scarlet Macaw who was hand raised by researchers at the Tambopata Research Center and is very friendly; he likes to visit the breakfast buffet and steal food.

The third photo is of two pairs of Blue and Yellow Macaws, and the fourth photo is a Red and Green Macaw.
Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26-Nov-10, 10:02:06 AM »

M is for Mute Swan

Finally, a bird that I have taken a photo of -- I have been waiting for half of the alphabet!!  hysterical 

Anne in Toronto

Mute Swan sharpening its bill in preparation!

It was worth the waiting! Nice picture Anne.
greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26-Nov-10, 10:20:17 AM »

M is for Montagu's Harrier

From Wikipedia:
The  Montagu's Harrier (Circus pygargus) is a migratory bird of prey of the harrier family.
Its name commemorates the British naturalist George Montagu.

We saw this beautiful bird, during a vacation in Denmark. We drove from the mainland to the island Rømø over a dam and this bird flew next to us. We could follow it for a long time. For a short time there were even two birds.
greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26-Nov-10, 10:21:22 AM »

OH, Rita! That video is great!

He has the same voice as a tui I've heard. Exactly. Terrific vocabulary and interaction.

here's a thanksgiving-topical chat with the same bird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMEccNLXcQc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Thank you!!

dale

This bird is a riot! Thanks for sharing. 2thumbsup

-John Burroughs
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26-Nov-10, 10:55:11 AM »

Merlin

(Cornell Lab of Ornithology)

A small falcon of northern forests and prairies, the Merlin is the least well-marked of the American falcons. It is becoming a regular breeder in urban areas

Cool Facts

* The Merlin does not build a nest, but instead takes over old nests of other raptors or crows. It sometimes nests on top of domed magpie nests rather than in the nest cavity.

-John Burroughs
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26-Nov-10, 11:01:56 AM »

Mockingbird(northern)
(Cornell Lab of Ornithology)

The Northern Mockingbird enjoys making its presence known. It usually sits conspicuously on high vegetation, fences, eaves, or telephone wires, or runs and hops along the ground. Found alone or in pairs throughout the year, mockingbirds aggressively chase off intruders on their territory.The Northern Mockingbird enjoys making its presence known. It usually sits conspicuously on high vegetation, fences, eaves, or telephone wires, or runs and hops along the ground. Found alone or in pairs throughout the year, mockingbirds aggressively chase off intruders on their territory.

-John Burroughs
gayle
Juvie

Like Count: 82

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27-Nov-10, 12:34:58 AM »

Thick-billled Murre

Thick-billed Murres are members of the auk family.  Their habitat is sub-polar and I first saw them on cliffs on an island in Hudson Bay.    They nest in dense colonies, see first image.  The dark coloration on the cliff is actually thousands of individual murres.  They do not make nests, but lay the single egg directly on the rock.  The egg is much larger on one end so that when it rolls, it rolls in a circle and does not fall off the cliff.  Both parents tend the chick.  After several weeks, the male flies to the surface of the sea below and calls to the chick.  In a true leap of faith, the chick plunges several hundred feet to join his dad below.  See second photograph.  The male then tends to the chick alone.  The female’s work is then finished and she joins other females to feed and regain her strength.  (Third and fourth images.)

As a side note, these photographs were made from a Zodiak.  We were accompanied by a gun-bearing guide as the island was also inhabited by polar bears who fed on dead birds at the base of the cliff.

Gayle
« Last Edit: 27-Nov-10, 11:22:10 PM by gayle » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: