THE FORUM

23-Sep-24, 05:25:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABC of Birds -M-  (Read 18150 times)
gayle
Juvie

Like Count: 82

View Profile
« on: 24-Nov-10, 11:30:29 PM »

Moorhen

The Common Moorhen, or Gallinule, is found nearly world-wide except in polar regions and tropical rain forests.  It is a member of the rail family and is closely related to coots.  It is found around ponds and marshes.  A distinguishing feature is the red facial shield.  An interesting survival strategy is the pre-fledged chicks will cling to the parent’s body in the face of danger and the parent will then fly off.  They are plentiful in the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge.  Photograph from Cornell.

Gayle
gayle
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24-Nov-10, 11:40:14 PM »

Mallard

The Mallard is the most recognizable of ducks.  It is common throughout North America and Eurasia.  Where is does not occur naturally, it had likely been introduced.

Gayle
gayle
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-Nov-10, 11:43:08 PM »

Mallard hybrids

The Khaki Campbell duck is a cross between mallards, runner ducks and rouen ducks.  It is now a recognized domestic breed.   I found this in the San Francisco Baylands and had to consult my nephew, who is knowledgeable in matters fowl, for an identification.

The second photograph is a cross between a mallard and a black duck (by Paul Hurtado.)

I imagine there are countless mallard hybrids.  It has been my observation that mallards are indeed randy!

Gayle
gayle
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25-Nov-10, 12:19:32 AM »

Marbled Murrlet

The Marbled Murrlet, an alcid related to the puffin, is one of my favorite birds.  It nests only in old growth forests.  In California, that means the ancient redwoods.  As it a threatened species, the marbled murrlet has become the "poster bird" for environmentalists.  It is a small bird, about eight inches tall.  It carries one small fish at a time form the sea to its single chick in the redwoods some 50 or 60 miles inland.  I have seen them only once in the ocean off Mendocino, but they are more plentiful in the waters of Southeast Alaska.  There, they nest in Sitka Spruce forests which are being clear cut at an alarming rate.  On one eight-day trip aboard the humpback research vessel, I counted over a thousand marbled murrlets.

Gayle
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 25-Nov-10, 12:53:42 AM »

Mexican Spotted Owl -- I took the photo on a military base in Southeastern Arizona; the owl had been very dependable and our birding guides found him/her easily.  The bird seemed unfazed by the attention.
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 25-Nov-10, 01:01:58 AM »

Mute Swans with cygnets -- beautiful, but unfortunately one of those introduced species that out-competes the native trumpeter swan and other waterfowl in a couple of ways:
  • They overgraze submerged aquatic vegetation, sometimes to the point that it can't recover.
  • They compete for resources with other waterfowl and are very aggressive during breeding season, so they often prevent other birds from nesting nearby.

Source: Wikipedia
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 25-Nov-10, 01:04:13 AM »

Magnolia Warbler -- a very blurry one, but migrating warblers are not often inclined to be still.  I took this photo on the shores of Lake Erie during spring migration, at a refuge where massive numbers of warblers refuel before confronting the lake.
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 25-Nov-10, 01:06:55 AM »

This is a Magnificent Hummingbird, quite deserving of the name.  In addition to its colors, it's a bigger-than-your-average hummingbird, which adds to its magnificence.  I took the photo in Southeastern Arizona, at a ranch where bunches of feeders attract bunches of hummingbirds.
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 25-Nov-10, 01:32:07 AM »

MOUSE-COLORED PENDULINE TIT

Oh, yes there is, too!!

wonderful photo at: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gXoJNsSObeuZvTkR77FxYA

Dale
« Last Edit: 25-Nov-10, 01:51:48 AM by dale » Logged
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 25-Nov-10, 01:34:01 AM »

MACAW

I took this at the Lima (Peru) zoo.

Dale
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 25-Nov-10, 01:38:35 AM »

MAGPIE

I am always delighted to see one (which I never do at home).

In Siberia people always told me that the magpie was a bad omen.  I like them anyway. A lot.

why are magpies so often hated? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7316384.stm

very nice photo by fir002 (wiki). I think this is an australian magpie.

dale
rssport
Fledgling

Like Count: 20

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25-Nov-10, 02:35:15 AM »

Mynah Bird

Many years ago when I was a kid my mother had a Mynah bird that talked and sang. Now 50+ years later I find out it's in the Crow family but talks.  Now if I could post a picture???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLlGKhJ4sbs&feature=related

Who knows what you'll see.

Rita
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 25-Nov-10, 02:49:54 AM »

OH, Rita! That video is great!

He has the same voice as a tui I've heard. Exactly. Terrific vocabulary and interaction.

here's a thanksgiving-topical chat with the same bird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMEccNLXcQc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Thank you!!

dale
« Last Edit: 25-Nov-10, 03:07:45 AM by dale » Logged
rssport
Fledgling

Like Count: 20

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25-Nov-10, 03:04:52 AM »

It was way before video, so I don't know who that was. Cleo didn't like me that much. Don't know why. When my mom died a police officer was stationed outside her bedroom. Cleo just kept chatting away and really freaked out the NYC cop.
Cleo use to sing "Who's afraid of the big bad wolf" and he wasn't.
anneintoronto
« Reply #14 on: 25-Nov-10, 03:13:01 AM »

MACAW

I took this at the Lima (Peru) zoo.

Dale

Nice crop, Dale!!  This is a family forum, you know -- right? hysterical
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: