THE FORUM

20-Sep-24, 03:18:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Akhwesahsne Mohawk School students enjoyed special activities (NY)  (Read 1858 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 30-Nov-10, 09:32:48 PM »

HOGANSBURG, N.Y. – Special activities at the Akhwesahsne Mohawk School were the focus in November from Early Years students to sixth grade. Activities along the lines of bring a parent to school, bird of prey day, remembrance day and anti-bullying were used to enhance classroom academics and personal growth for all students.

Though the Early Years science fair can’t be forgotten as staff, students and parents worked hard on exhibits that fit in the theme of farm life.

On Nov. 10 the Ontario Power Generation Corporation for the Cornwall area sponsored a Peregrine Falcon presentation by the Canadian Peregrine Foundation, Birds of Prey Education Tour. Children had the opportunity to participate in a 40-minute interactive presentation. Part of the presentation involved a video on the life and habitat of the Peregrine Falcon, what caused it to be endangered and how humans have now intervened to ensure the survival of this bird of prey. The part of the presentation the children and parents in attendance enjoyed the most was when they were introduced to Nova, a live Peregrine Falcon. (Remember Nova, Big Frank posted Nova when he was a baby)

There was a more serene atmosphere at the Remembrance Day Ceremony as students read poems and sang songs to recognize community members who served in wars, past and present, and those who died. To personalize veterans, community members that died in war had their names read acknowledging their achievements and bringing home the fact that these were relatives and not just strangers.

The anti-bullying campaign kicked off with a presentation by Carolyn Francis and Wanda Thompson from the Akwesasne Child and Family Services. This campaign focused on educating the children about bullying. The children learn what bullying is and what they can do to stop it.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30-Nov-10, 09:40:39 PM »

thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-Nov-10, 10:12:39 PM »

Nova

I'll look to see  if I can find Nova now.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: