THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 10:48:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter birds arrive - migraters still passing through  (Read 2038 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 08-Dec-10, 08:07:39 PM »

THE BLUE MOUNTAINS - Winter birds are here.  On a drive along the Meaford shore Nov. 30, I saw Golden Eyes, Buffleheads and Mergansers.  Collingwood has a Peregrine Falcon again at the towers.  The Expert saw it grab a pigeon one day last week.

Barb Selkirk, at her birder's paradise corner, 119 and 13, (Sideroad south of Epping) has Chickadees, Nuthatches, a pair of Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Downys and Hairies.  For three weeks, Rough-legged Hawks were hanging around her place.  On Nov. 29, a Raven and a bunch of Crows attacked one.  But the Hawks are still around.  A White-winged Crossbill hit a window and died.  The frozen body is on the way to ROM.

On Dec. 3, Mike O'Dell had two Red-poles at his place in Ravenna.  The same day he was surprised to see a Great Blue Heron in Heathcote.

Huge, unbelievable mixed flocks of Cedar and Bohemian Waxwings have been observed over Thornbury since Nov. 24. Both Lynne Richardson and I have seen them.  By huge I mean 100 or more.  I hear they are all over the province.  Sometimes I see smaller flocks.  Amazing how they swirl around on take-off or landing.

On Nov. 24, I had a fast look at four or five Sandhill Cranes flying by.  There are a lot of them being seen around Ontario.  They have nested near Wiarton. 

But top this for interesting migraters this Fall.  Late Sept., early Oct., one day, Marjorie Bell spotted a Whimbrell in her yard at the west end of Thornbury, beside Hwy. 26!  She saw it briefly, it disappeared, but later that day it was in the yard again. Whimbrells nest in the Tundra along the west shore of Hudson Bay and migrate through here.  They are about 16 inches long, heavy-bodied, with a relatively short neck and thin legs.  Dark brown crown stripes and a dark eyeline.  A long down-curved bill is used to probe in mud, sand or grasses.  It's a grayish-brown bird.  I have seen them at Pelee and Long Point many years ago in my travelling days.

The L.E. Shore Library has just acquired the Stokes Field Guide to Birds of North America.  It's called a field guide but Car Guide would be a better term.  It's almost an inch and a half thick, 5"x 8" and heavy.  The Stokes are experts, the book is scientific, the photos are terrific.  The Stokes are the foremost authority and have written many books.

Dr. George Peck and his son Mark have just completed the Ont. Nest Records Scheme report for 2008 and 2009.  This program has been operative for 54 years.  One highlight in the report was noting the increase in Merlin nests reported in Thornbury.  There are now pre-numbered, scannable nest cards.  Earlier version cards should no longer be used as they cannot be scanned directly into the database. Online nest card entry can now be made at birdscanada.org/volunteer/pnw/ and from this same website, the field card can be down-loaded.

The Meaford Christmas Bird Count is the usual Dec. 28 date. Lynne Richardson is in charge.  Be sure your feeders are full.  The Owen Sound day is Sat. the 18th.

CORRECTION - Last report I wrote Red-breasted Grosbeak.  It should have been Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  In my opinion, the bird was misnamed in the first place.  Birds don't have breasts.  Should have been Rose-chested Grosbeak and I think the chest is more red then rosy.  I keep writing that birds are misnamed, should be fronted or chested not breasted.  Maybe if I write to The Stokes, something will happen!

# Dorothy Crysler, Special
Simcoe.com

anneintoronto
« Reply #1 on: 08-Dec-10, 09:22:20 PM »

THE BLUE MOUNTAINS - Winter birds are here.  On a drive along the Meaford shore Nov. 30, I saw Golden Eyes, Buffleheads and Mergansers.  Collingwood has a Peregrine Falcon again at the towers.  The Expert saw it grab a pigeon one day last week.

Barb Selkirk, at her birder's paradise corner, 119 and 13, (Sideroad south of Epping) has Chickadees, Nuthatches, a pair of Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Downys and Hairies.  For three weeks, Rough-legged Hawks were hanging around her place.  On Nov. 29, a Raven and a bunch of Crows attacked one.  But the Hawks are still around.  A White-winged Crossbill hit a window and died.  The frozen body is on the way to ROM.

On Dec. 3, Mike O'Dell had two Red-poles at his place in Ravenna.  The same day he was surprised to see a Great Blue Heron in Heathcote.

Huge, unbelievable mixed flocks of Cedar and Bohemian Waxwings have been observed over Thornbury since Nov. 24. Both Lynne Richardson and I have seen them.  By huge I mean 100 or more.  I hear they are all over the province.  Sometimes I see smaller flocks.  Amazing how they swirl around on take-off or landing.

On Nov. 24, I had a fast look at four or five Sandhill Cranes flying by.  There are a lot of them being seen around Ontario.  They have nested near Wiarton. 

But top this for interesting migraters this Fall.  Late Sept., early Oct., one day, Marjorie Bell spotted a Whimbrell in her yard at the west end of Thornbury, beside Hwy. 26!  She saw it briefly, it disappeared, but later that day it was in the yard again. Whimbrells nest in the Tundra along the west shore of Hudson Bay and migrate through here.  They are about 16 inches long, heavy-bodied, with a relatively short neck and thin legs.  Dark brown crown stripes and a dark eyeline.  A long down-curved bill is used to probe in mud, sand or grasses.  It's a grayish-brown bird.  I have seen them at Pelee and Long Point many years ago in my travelling days.

The L.E. Shore Library has just acquired the Stokes Field Guide to Birds of North America.  It's called a field guide but Car Guide would be a better term.  It's almost an inch and a half thick, 5"x 8" and heavy.  The Stokes are experts, the book is scientific, the photos are terrific.  The Stokes are the foremost authority and have written many books.

Dr. George Peck and his son Mark have just completed the Ont. Nest Records Scheme report for 2008 and 2009.  This program has been operative for 54 years.  One highlight in the report was noting the increase in Merlin nests reported in Thornbury.  There are now pre-numbered, scannable nest cards.  Earlier version cards should no longer be used as they cannot be scanned directly into the database. Online nest card entry can now be made at birdscanada.org/volunteer/pnw/ and from this same website, the field card can be down-loaded.

The Meaford Christmas Bird Count is the usual Dec. 28 date. Lynne Richardson is in charge.  Be sure your feeders are full.  The Owen Sound day is Sat. the 18th.

CORRECTION - Last report I wrote Red-breasted Grosbeak.  It should have been Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  In my opinion, the bird was misnamed in the first place.  Birds don't have breasts.  Should have been Rose-chested Grosbeak and I think the chest is more red then rosy.  I keep writing that birds are misnamed, should be fronted or chested not breasted.  Maybe if I write to The Stokes, something will happen!

# Dorothy Crysler, Special
Simcoe.com

It's funny reading this article, Donna.  These are all places that I know well!  I lived in Simcoe, ON for 6 years -- spent countless seasons at Long Point and Point Pelee camping, birdwatching with my parents and brother.  Skiied for years at Collingwood, camped near Wiarton and outside of Meaford with Kevin!  Thanks for stirring up some great old memories, as well as providing all the interesting winter bird information!  Maybe soon I'll start moving around more, see some of these birds for myself!  Have some photos of birds to post, other than sparrows and pigeons!!

Thanks, again!!
Anne in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: