THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 01:12:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buffalo Falcon News 2011  (Read 73976 times)
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 28-May-11, 02:05:59 PM »

A really good story.  So are they actually rehabbing the old Statler?
Yes, it's been bought and is being refurbished!

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=122003
Will there be a falcon cam again?

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 28-May-11, 02:22:02 PM »

A really good story.  So are they actually rehabbing the old Statler?
Yes, it's been bought and is being refurbished!

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=122003
Will there be a falcon cam again?

Annette-I asked Buffalo watcher, Sage, and she said "probable cam in 2012"!  Good news! 

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 01-Jun-11, 07:23:44 AM »

Getting big!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 02-Jun-11, 09:44:09 PM »

BUFFALO, NY - We will be able to check in with the chicks - the peregrine falcon chicks- today at the Central Terminal .

The DEC will be banding newly hatched chicks who reside at the Central Terminal Thursday, June 2 at 3:00 p.m.

The DEC is concluding a day of peregrine falcon census taking with the banding.

The Central TErminal Restoration Corporation in 2009 constructed and installed a nest box for the falcons. It is now home to two adult Peregrines and a number of chicks.

After the banding of the chicks, known as eases) they will report on their condition.

Copyright wivb.com

~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: 03-Jun-11, 11:26:11 PM »

Ten eyasses were banded Thursday in Buffalo, five males, five females.  Four eyasses at UB were not banded because they were too big, already spending a lot of time on the flight deck and all the way over to the far side of the ledge. 

South Grand Island Bridge
had 2 females and 1 male, approximately 26 days old, all healthy. 1 unhatched egg was recovered.

Statler had 2 males and 1 female, approximately 30 days old, all healthy. 1 male bird was named Dominic, after Mark Croce's son (as requested).  Mark Croce is the new owner of the Statler who allowed the DEC access to the 18th floor nestbox for banding.

Central Terminal had 2 males and 2 Females, approximately 20 days old, all heathy. Chicks were named with railroad themes: Phoebe Snow, a train that ran from Buffalo to NYC, Commodore after Commodore Vanderbilt who ran the NY Central RxR, Chessie after the Chesapeake RxR, and Lehigh after the old Lehigh Valley RxR.

North GI Bridge had no active nest this year.  Cement Elevator pair has discovered the box, she made a scrape immediately but they possibly had a failed nest earlier at the grain elevator so it may be a bit late for another nesting.  Niagara Gorge nest had one egg but neither bird seemed much interested in brooding it.

For our Rochester fans who may visit Buffalo, especially CT,  here are the right-leg tape colors:
Phoebe yellow
Commodore green
Chessie red
Lehigh blue

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 04-Jun-11, 12:38:59 AM »

Great news Sage!   clap

You KNOW we'll be visiting.   happy

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 04-Jun-11, 06:06:38 AM »

Too bad about the Buffalo chicks.  Sad Is there a reason they waited so long? Just sayin! Love the names of the others..especially Phoebe Snow. I remember when I was a kid, we'd watch that train go by all the time down by us. Congrats!!

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 06-Jun-11, 09:29:17 PM »

I saw this in the UB Reporter...new viewing station for UB falcons (after last year's fiasco with a neighbor's dog nearby).

http://www.buffalo.edu/ubreporter/2011_06_02/falcon_shelter

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 06-Jun-11, 11:08:08 PM »

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article445401.ece Statler got banded today?

Recent headlines involving unexpected animal encounters suggest that area residents and public officials are learning to take more of a live-and-let-live approach to wildlife.

Whether it be a black bear roaming through town or deer jumping cemetery fences, enlightened residents and officials seem more willing to give wildlife a fighting chance for survival -- unless it's destroying personal property.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 07-Jun-11, 08:53:28 AM »

Recent headlines involving unexpected animal encounters suggest that area residents and public officials are learning to take more of a live-and-let-live approach to wildlife.

Whether it be a black bear roaming through town or deer jumping cemetery fences, enlightened residents and officials seem more willing to give wildlife a fighting chance for survival -- unless it's destroying personal property.

They banded 2 males and a female.  The new owner requested one of the males be named Dominic after his son.  ( I read this all somewhere but can't find it right now.)

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 07-Jun-11, 09:04:41 AM »

They banded 2 males and a female.  The new owner requested one of the males be named Dominic after his son.  ( I read this all somewhere but can't find it right now.)

Statler had 2 males and 1 female, approximately 30 days old, all healthy. 1 male bird was named Dominic, after Mark Croce's son (as requested).  Mark Croce is the new owner of the Statler who allowed the DEC access to the 18th floor nestbox for banding.

Sage posted it right below...lol and I knew it! My brain!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 07-Jun-11, 08:59:04 PM »

http://www.wellsvilledaily.com/outdoors/x1725636714/Peregrine-falcons-banded-in-Buffalo

Peregrine falcons banded in Buffalo : 10 eyases were banded last week!

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 09-Jun-11, 01:38:55 AM »

Here are some captured pics before sunset this evening: UB FalconsCam Shots 6-8-11
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 09-Jun-11, 06:16:02 AM »

Here are some captured pics before sunset this evening: UB FalconsCam Shots 6-8-11

I love the bloomers too! Thanks, they sure are blooming!  wave

~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: 14-Jun-11, 08:05:39 AM »

If you're in the area UB KIDS ARE LIKELY TO FLEDGE!!!  One accidentally went to a roof yesterday but got back.
Bring cameras, scopes,boxes, gloves, coffee and bagels!  The rest of this week should be exciting!

Statler kids will be right on the heels of the UB fledges!

Pix on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Peregrine-Place/182371738440433

High temps today - mid-60s!
« Last Edit: 14-Jun-11, 08:58:49 AM by ~Sage~ » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: