THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 11:24:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buffalo Falcon News 2011  (Read 73972 times)
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 15-May-11, 11:15:38 AM »

Yesterday evening a parent sits outside the nest while the eyases huddle with one another - on the perch ...comes in to check on babies, and four cuties looking for attention.
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 20-May-11, 04:31:02 AM »

Good News! I notified the Buffalo DEC that I am 99.9% positive "Jean" from Syracuse (2008) is the female at the Buffalo grain elevators along the lake shore. I think she has been in that area for more than a year because I once spotted a yellow band on a falcon flying around there (hoping it was Zephyr). The is no yellow band anymore, but I was able to photograph different views and piece together black /green, 98/V.

On Tuesday morning May 10th I stopped by hoping to see the new nestbox occupied.  Then I went over to the abandoned grain elevator and found a falcon sitting on the far back roof.  I was there from 6:30am to 8am taking pictures of this falcon while it remained in the same place.  I sat on a rock waiting and hoping for this bird to move its legs.  Finally, I saw the silver band and then the black/green on left leg.

It wasn't until I saw a photo posted by Sage on facebook, that prodded me to look at my photos.  I removed the memory card from my camera, and never got around to viewing my pictures.  It didn’t occur to me that I might have caught a band ID.

See photos at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150183421740986.308726.666525985&l=57895765d0
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 20-May-11, 06:37:57 AM »

Good spotting Joyce!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 21-May-11, 05:38:47 AM »

mbanana   You rock Joycie!   bguitar  clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 25-May-11, 07:04:25 PM »

Just spotted this over on CPF...a most excellent rescue that I decided to post here...read the story by Tracy Simpson on the CPF site to see why  Wink  clap

And pictures from the rescue are posted here

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 25-May-11, 10:04:51 PM »

Just spotted this over on CPF...a most excellent rescue that I decided to post here...read the story by Tracy Simpson on the CPF site to see why  Wink  clap

clap
 thumbsup
Thanks to CPR and ALL the people involved in rescuing this young PeFA.  In the pictures you can see how dehydrated she was...poor thing.  She may not have lated very long except for LUCK!     Lucky bird in many ways.   Fly high young PeFa!
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 25-May-11, 10:11:23 PM »

clap
 thumbsup
Thanks to CPR and ALL the people involved in rescuing this young PeFA.  In the pictures you can see how dehydrated she was...poor thing.  She may not have lated very long except for LUCK!     Lucky bird in many ways.   Fly high young PeFa!

WHOA!  Maybe I need CPR...I meant  CPF as in Canadian Peregrine Foundation!  Sorry!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 25-May-11, 10:15:33 PM »

Amazing rescue by amazing people! Thank you ALL!

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 25-May-11, 10:40:18 PM »

Awesome folks!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 25-May-11, 10:59:59 PM »

thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 26-May-11, 04:36:52 AM »

Amazing rescue by amazing people! Thank you ALL!

I could not look! How could that lad get himself in there in the first place? Still... it's not how he got in but how he got out! Phew!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 27-May-11, 10:29:02 PM »

Downtown air battle (Statler)

When a young red-tailed hawk flew by the nest of the famous peregrine falcon pair nesting on the Statler Building, it was all-out war.

"It was like the U.S. vs. Russia," said Statler owner Mark Croce. "The peregrine just took it out."

While bigwigs below were wrapping up a news conference outside late Wednesday morning, the falcons overhead were busy driving a hawk into the ground. It smashed full-speed into the middle of Delaware Avenue and would have been struck by a car had the street not been closed to traffic at that moment.

An extraordinary set of factors -- including a construction worker who just happened to know how to handle wild birds and some emergency help from the Erie County SPCA Wildlife Center -- will allow one very luck red-tailed hawk to live to fight another day.

The scene unfolded Wednesday with top city officials, including Mayor Byron W. Brown, standing in front of the Statler to announce the removal of a sidewalk barricade as improvements to the historic building's exterior get under way.

As the news conference was wrapping up, two construction workers from the federal courthouse project across the street were hauling debris outside. One of them, Jack Malecki, turned just in time to see a hawk driven into the pavement.

Croce saw Malecki crouching in the middle of Delaware Avenue. He called over a police officer.

"It just looked like he was acting suspicious," Croce said.

By this time, Malecki had picked the hawk up and set it down on the courthouse sidewalk.

Malecki, a foreman with DeSpirt Mosaic and Marble Co., was working on the courthouse building's terrazzo stone floor. He also happens to keep a peacock and pea hens at his home near Newfane and has plenty of bird-handling experience.

He asked a friend for a shirt, covered the hawk and held it by the legs while the DEC was contacted.

Croce and the police officer questioned Malecki and were relieved to hear the injured bird wasn't one of the two Statler falcons. Croce said he was equally thrilled that Malecki had gone out of his way to save the downed hawk.

"It was such a beautiful bird," he said. "This hawk was fabulous. It was big. It was gorgeous. I'd never seen anything like it in my entire life."

Minutes later, Connie Adams, a wildlife biologist with the state Department of Environmental Conservation, had the wounded hawk in a carrier she'd brought with her and drove it to the SPCA Wildlife Center. She didn't hear any movement inside on the way up.

"I was like, 'Oh my God, it's dead,'" she said.

But when SPCA officials looked inside the carrier, the hawk was breathing.

The animal suffered from spinal shock from hitting the street, leaving it temporarily paralyzed, said Assistant Wildlife Administrator Beverly Jones. SPCA employees infused the bird with anti-inflammatory medication, gave it fluids and left it in an oxygen chamber overnight.

By Thursday morning, the bird was standing.

Jones said the hawk is a female and only about a year old -- it's missing the signature red tail feathers that the mature hawks get when they are two years old.

The SPCA probably will keep the bird another week or so to make sure it's truly fine before they attempt to release it back into the city.

"She's going to be OK," Adams said. "What that teaches you is, you don't want to be a red-tailed hawk flying near a peregrine falcon's nest."

Erie County SPCA doctor Karen Moran gives a Red Tail Hawk an examination and administers fluids and food Thursday, one day after the peregrine falcons on the Statler Building drove the red-tailed hawk from the sky and into the sidewalk in front of the Federal Courthouse building.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 27-May-11, 11:35:06 PM »

Donna, wow!  They really dislike red tails!  So glad that worker saved this little one!  What a story! 

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 28-May-11, 12:23:45 AM »

A really good story.  So are they actually rehabbing the old Statler?
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 28-May-11, 12:10:28 PM »

A really good story.  So are they actually rehabbing the old Statler?

Yes, it's been bought and is being refurbished!

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=122003

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: