THE FORUM

23-Sep-24, 07:25:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zuzu in the rain  (Read 9789 times)
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 268

View Profile
« on: 24-Mar-11, 09:18:57 PM »

Two days after by birthday, Zuzu appeared outside our kitchen window in the midst of the heaviest thunderstorm of the year.  She ate seeds and mealworms as rain pounded against the window and the sky flashed and thundered. We've noticed a pattern -- she seems to show up when it rains.  If so, why? Also, it looks as if she might be nursing.

Paul

valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 25-Mar-11, 05:16:02 AM »

Hmmm...
Interesting that she would leave the nest in that ugly weather  confused  She does look like she's nursing, however.  Perhaps she leaves in nasty weather and assumes that those who would enjoy her babies for a snack will stay put?
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-Mar-11, 05:27:06 AM »

I wish she would visit me! Thanks, Paul...

Slainte!

Bobbie
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25-Mar-11, 06:16:28 AM »

Hmmm...
Interesting that she would leave the nest in that ugly weather  confused  She does look like she's nursing, however.  Perhaps she leaves in nasty weather and assumes that those who would enjoy her babies for a snack will stay put?

Or...who in their right mind would go looking for a snack in the rain? Only Zuzu knows. Wink

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25-Mar-11, 06:20:51 AM »

Hmmm...

Or...who in their right mind would go looking for a snack in the rain? Only Zuzu knows. Wink

Maybe she just needs more "fuel" when it's cold and wet. Esp if she is a Mom now.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25-Mar-11, 06:32:14 AM »

Hmmm...

Maybe she just needs more "fuel" when it's cold and wet. Esp if she is a Mom now.

Bingo Bobbie! That would be my guess. wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25-Mar-11, 06:39:31 AM »

If she's a 1st time mom, maybe Paul will see little Zuzu's at his feeder soon!  clap Did I hear Zuzu cam?  Cheesy

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25-Mar-11, 07:04:12 AM »

If she's a 1st time mom, maybe Paul will see little Zuzu's at his feeder soon!  clap Did I hear Zuzu cam?  Cheesy

Yes! GREAT idea, Donna. Wouldn't that be fun? Go, Paul!!
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25-Mar-11, 07:28:10 AM »

Paul - wondering - where did the name "Zuzu" come from? It suits her perfectly.

Slainte!
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26-Mar-11, 09:32:42 PM »

She is adorable. I wonder what is their range?  Embarrassed

Just wondered if any would be around here. Doubt it.
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29-Mar-11, 08:18:14 PM »

Paul - wondering - where did the name "Zuzu" come from? It suits her perfectly.

Slainte!

We seem to have at least three Southern Flying Squirrels who visit us.  My daughter has named them Zuzu, Zaza, and Zizi.  I believe it was because we had zuccini cassarole the night Zuzu first came.  Zizi is very timid and usually bails when s/he sees us.  Zaza remains at the feeder but watches us suspeciously.  We have had two squirrels at once on several occasions -- not surprising, because they nest in a group during the winter.

This just in -- we had a small squirrel last night who did not look or behave like any of the three Zs.

Paul
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-Mar-11, 08:27:03 PM »

She is adorable. I wonder what is their range?  Embarrassed

Just wondered if any would be around here. Doubt it.

Most of North America:
http://winterwoman.net/2009/02/13/flying-squirrels/
Alonzo (the squirrel guy) at nearby Long Branch Nature Center, thinks that flying squirrels outnumber grey squirrels here in Arlington.  He suggests putting some peanut butter on a tree trunk after dark.  If it's gone before morning twilight, you have flying squirrels.

Paul
valhalla
« Reply #12 on: 30-Mar-11, 05:32:22 AM »

Most of North America:
http://winterwoman.net/2009/02/13/flying-squirrels/
Alonzo (the squirrel guy) at nearby Long Branch Nature Center, thinks that flying squirrels outnumber grey squirrels here in Arlington.  He suggests putting some peanut butter on a tree trunk after dark.  If it's gone before morning twilight, you have flying squirrels.

Paul

What really amazes me is how squirrels live in "packs" - you have flying ones in your neighborhood, I have never seen any squirrels in the Courthouse area (hawks, yes), and less than 35 miles away, I only have gray squirrels in my back yard - NO black ones or flying ones.  Couple of miles away and I'll find black squirrels.  No red ones at all. 
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30-Mar-11, 07:21:44 AM »

We have reds here at home and blacks and greys in town. Maybe a mutt I call her Mahogany she is black with a reddish tail. She is in the tree I park under at work. I'll have to try the peanut butter experiment
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-Mar-11, 07:27:25 AM »

Me too re the peanut butter... is ROC in their range? Wouldn't the grey squirrels lick it off too?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: