THE FORUM

24-Apr-24, 10:21:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Columbus Falcons  (Read 48387 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14-Apr-11, 01:13:53 PM »

Durands brooding posture.
Stranger things have happened, we'll see.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14-Apr-11, 01:17:26 PM »

Just captured this from the cam, seems all are covered but like Donna said, "Is this enough?"

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10-May-11, 02:10:51 PM »

State Office Tower in Columbus, Ohio.
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Eggs Alone
Unfortunately, things continue to deteriorate at the nest. For the majority of yesterday afternoon, overnight and now this morning the eggs have been uncovered. Further, Durand has been away from the ledge more than she has been present.

Earlier this morning she was observed scraping in the corner of the nestbox. This is typical site-bonding behavior that normally occurs prior to nesting and again later in summer after the young have fledged. The fact that she is exhibiting this behavior now is another indication of shifting hormone levels. Even though we categorize these actions as "abnormal" at this stage in the nesting cycle, in actuality abnormal actions can be the norm with a bird that is not yet fully mature as in Durand's case.

We will give her a little more time and continue to observe what transpires. If things stay on this track then in the coming days the eggs will be pulled and examined to determine fertility.

5 eggs and no hatches this year.  Sad

She sits on the cam but not the eggs. Where her mate is, is anyone's guess.
There is speculation by some that the male is no longer in the territory as he has not been seen via the Falconcams for several days. While it is possible he is still around but just not in front of the cameras, certainly if it were the case that he is gone, Durand would definitely need to leave the nest for longer periods of time in order to hunt for herself, especially if the cached supplies of food are depleted. Were she fending for herself she would need to eat twice a day or so, however, she is leaving the eggs much more frequently than that.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13-May-11, 09:40:40 PM »

All 5 Peregrine Falcon Eggs Infertile

COLUMBUS -- All five Peregrine Falcon eggs laid in a nest high up on 41st floor of the Rhodes State Office Tower in downtown Columbus turned out to be infertile, ABC6/FOX28 News learned Friday.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources reports that the mother had abandoned the eggs late last week.

Falcon Expert Donna Daniel, who maintains the online Ohio Peregrine Falcon blog, says she went up to check to if the eggs were fertile and discovered they were not.

Apparently, with the falcon mother being so young, such an instance is common.   heart heart heart heart heart

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13-May-11, 10:22:49 PM »

I hope that doesn't happen with Beauty and Unitys eggs because Archer has spread himself too thin. gum

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14-May-11, 12:35:56 PM »

Didn't they say it was probably because she is young? So with Beauty no I don't think we will have that problem (except with maybe Sophie since she was laid 8 days before the others) Now with Unity I don't know. How old is she? (I forget)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14-May-11, 12:39:43 PM »

Didn't they say it was probably because she is young? So with Beauty no I don't think we will have that problem (except with maybe Sophie since she was laid 8 days before the others) Now with Unity I don't know. How old is she? (I forget)

Unity is 2 yrs old BC. Don't forget, Beauty was 2 yrs old also last year when she laid her 1st clutch. Guess it depends on the female.

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14-May-11, 12:52:30 PM »

Thanks Donna, well Beauty did have the one that didn't hatch last year. As long as we get one eyas I'll be happy (I want all three but will settle for one)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14-May-11, 03:03:38 PM »

Unity is 2 yrs old BC. Don't forget, Beauty was 2 yrs old also last year when she laid her 1st clutch. Guess it depends on the female.

Beauty was born in 2007 making her 3 years old last year (2010) when she had her first clutch.  In 2009, after they attacked Mariah, Beauty and Archer were believed to have a scrape on Midtown but nothing came of that (she was 2 then). This is A and B's 3rd spring together-2nd clutch.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14-May-11, 04:04:15 PM »

Beauty was born in 2007 making her 3 years old last year (2010) when she had her first clutch.  In 2009, after they attacked Mariah, Beauty and Archer were believed to have a scrape on Midtown but nothing came of that (she was 2 then). This is A and B's 3rd spring together-2nd clutch.

I stand corrected! Thanks Kris, your on the ball!

DebbieB
Fluffball

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14-May-11, 05:54:03 PM »

Beauty was born in 2007 making her 3 years old last year (2010) when she had her first clutch.  In 2009, after they attacked Mariah, Beauty and Archer were believed to have a scrape on Midtown but nothing came of that (she was 2 then). This is A and B's 3rd spring together-2nd clutch.

Didn't Rhea Mae have a full clutch at 2 years old?   4 eggs, all hatched?
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14-May-11, 07:06:53 PM »

Didn't Rhea Mae have a full clutch at 2 years old?   4 eggs, all hatched?
Carol would know.

I think Beauty's problem the first year was location. Midtown, a rain gutter is not a good place to raise a family.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14-May-11, 07:10:11 PM »

I stand corrected! Thanks Kris, your on the ball!

Glad to help!    handshake

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14-May-11, 07:21:11 PM »

[/quote]

I looked at the Family history tree and in 2008, when Rhea Mae was 2, she had Lily, Belle and Unity.  How ironic is that!?  Belle is Unity's mother's name (the Unity at KP)!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14-May-11, 07:25:18 PM »

I looked at the Family history tree and in 2008, when Rhea Mae was 2, she had Lily, Belle and Unity.  How ironic is that!?  Belle is Unity's mother's name (the Unity at KP)!
[/quote]

Yeah and Lily hopped a bus out of town. Why fly, when she can ride.  clap

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: