THE FORUM

25-Apr-24, 12:19:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three falcons seen downtown  (Read 5808 times)
Lou
Juvie

Like Count: 130

View Profile WWW
« on: 27-Sep-09, 08:48:53 PM »

Dana and I headed downtown a little after 6:00 pm today and saw three falcons flying around the Widows Peak and the Civic Center.

When we first arrived, we had a falcon on the top arm of the Frontier Communication tower. It flew south towards Main Street. We headed out after it and found who we think was Beauty, eating on the Widow's Peak. It suddenly abandoned its' food and flew off going south. After driving around looking for it, we spotted two falcons on the Communication Tower at the Court House.

They then flew off, going north. We drove again and found two on back on the Widow's Peak. We believe it was Archer and Beauty.

That's when we spotted a third falcon flying about 30 feet over them, flying south.  One took off and after a minute or so, we heard echups. (?) At one point, Dana thought there may have been four falcons, however, we could only confirm three.

It was getting dark, so we headed off, leaving one on the Widow's Peak and one on the Communication Tower at the Court House.

Unfortunately, I had my short lens on and didn't get any detailed pictures. I also missed the picture of the third falcon. But definitely, there were three.

Don't know what to make of this. We speculated that it was Mariah, or that it was the wintering pair returning, or that it was just one migrating through. Who knows?  But an any rate, it was nice to see some peregrines today!

Here's a link to some pictures I took:  http://tinyurl.com/yc4cdk2

Lou

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27-Sep-09, 09:04:49 PM »

I love the pictures of the rain soaked streets!!!

Do these falcons not know that they are supposed to tell us who is who???? At least it is not Easter! ???

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
valhalla
« Reply #2 on: 28-Sep-09, 06:29:58 AM »

Unfortunately, I had my short lens on and didn't get any detailed pictures.
Lou

I hate when that happens!  Of course, if I leave the long lens on, then I need the short one  frustrated bang head
loheron
Fledgling

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28-Sep-09, 12:33:25 PM »

Good luck to you. I spent an hour from 3:30 - 4:30 downtown but saw no falcons and no one. Larry O
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28-Sep-09, 03:36:47 PM »

Amazing...I drove all over downtown and I even looked at Widows Peak, but I only saw one falcon.  Maybe I was seeing more than one falcon, but I only saw one at a time.  At 5:30 I had one falcon on OCS who flew west and I assumed it was the same falcon I found on the top of the Communication Tower.  I watched it take off and fly south.  I went looking and found only one falcon on the Court House Tower (which I call the Jail Tower in my tweets).  I didn't have one on the outside of the Tower as in Lou's pics, but I had one on the edge of the main frame of the tower and then it moved inside.  I went over to Kodak and up Lake Ave to Tops and probably missed seeing anything on Widows Peak.

Congratulations Lou...you got a picture of my car in your photo waiting at the stop light.  I enlarged it, and you can barely see one of my dogs standing on the middle console looking out the front windowshield.

Joyce
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-Sep-09, 06:02:13 PM »

"Congratulations Lou...you got a picture of my car in your photo waiting at the stop light.  I enlarged it, and you can barely see one of my dogs standing on the middle console looking out the front windowshield".

Joyce

-- See-- we watch for falcons and the falcon watchers wave

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 28-Sep-09, 07:02:02 PM »

Widow's Peak

Widow's Walk

Lou
Juvie

Like Count: 130

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 28-Sep-09, 07:30:53 PM »

Joyce - That's funny! Sorry we missed you. I'll have to look again at that picture!

Shaky - Thanks for the correction. Who knew that we had it all wrong these past 8 years.

-Lou
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: