THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 11:48:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: San Jose Peregrines  (Read 83398 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 02-May-14, 11:24:35 AM »

San Jose banding just finished...2 boys, 2 girls  2thumbsup
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 02-May-14, 11:29:59 AM »

Wow, banding already and Beauty and Dot.ca's haven't even hatched yet!  I guess they're all on their own schedule. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 06-May-14, 03:41:26 PM »

Wow, banding already and Beauty and Dot.ca's haven't even hatched yet!  I guess they're all on their own schedule. 
California vs New York  gum
Falconatic1
Eyas

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 27-May-14, 08:02:44 PM »

Hi, Falcon friends. San Jose had scheduled their fledge watch at City Hall, where the nest box is located, starting Friday, May 16. However, this was one day too late for one juvenile falcon!  On Thursday, May 15, I was observing the web cam while working at my office up in Reno, and saw one male, Blaze, sitting beside one of his two sisters, Beatrix, on a low ledge near their nest box. Beatrix turned slightly, and **POOF ** Blaze was knocked off into space 18 floors up. I called our chief forum moderator and fledge watch coordinator in San Jose, Jody, and she answered her cell phone saying "I knew it was trouble when I saw it was you calling." We are dear friends, so I just howled at that!  laugh  But I informed her of what I had seen, and of course she had momentarily walked away from her computer and not seen it happen.

She immediately got on the phone, email and Skype and mobilized the BOGs (Boots on the Ground) in the area, called our biologist expert Glenn Stewart from the Santa Cruz Predatory Bird Research Group, and everyone headed for downtown. It turned out someone inside the San Jose City Hall building had seen the little falcon glide down and land on the ground. He called Animal Control, and they came and cordoned off the area. Our BOGs arrived, Blaze was contained in an appropriate box, and Glenn arrived later (two hour drive from Santa Cruz). On examination, Blaze was not the least bit injured, so he was given an elevator ride with Glenn up to the roof of City Hall and released.

I arrived in San Jose the following afternoon with my sister, bringing lots of chocolate, and we stayed for four days of fledge watch. We were privileged to see three of the four juveniles fly, attempt to land, moth on the sides of buildings, fly again, find a better landing place, and twice land on the ground. We had our organized fledge watchers in place around the building, everyone on walkie talkies, and everything went just fine. Two more times juvies were taken to the roof top for release, and thank the good Lord, no one has been injured so far.  The fourth juvie fledged the day after we had to leave, so we missed that one, but had lots of opportunity to see the other three flying fairly well.

I forgot to tell you all four names:  the males are Bolt and Blaze; the females are Halo and Beatrix. The schoolchildren of San Jose are invited by the Mayor's office each year to submit names, along with essays, songs, and/or videos. Then the camera operators and moderators narrow down the choices and create a poll on the forum for all forum members to vote. There are links to the kids' submissions too, so we can see them all online. http://sanjoseperegrines.editme.com/2014-Names   This site indicates all of the submissions, but the poll is closed, so you can't vote. But if you click on each suggested name, you will see the child's essay, drawing, song or video. They are delightful!

It is always heartening to me to realize there are dedicated falcon watcher volunteers who come together each year, each in their own role, to support the local falcons. You all know this dedication in Rochester, as I see the same thing in the members' discussions there.

I am thrilled to see the four eyasses on the Rochester falcon cam, and will be following them closely. The San Jose falcons are flying so much they are rarely seen on our falcon cams now; I am in withdrawal already.  Of course we share in mourning for the lost San Francisco fledgling Eliza  Sad.  But we are watching their two remaining fledglings Lotta and Tera, wishing all falcon fledglings fair winds and blue skies.   

See you on the forum!

Debbie

falcon
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 27-May-14, 08:08:06 PM »

Glad you got to see them live...it is such a thrill watching them discover the joy of flying!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 27-May-14, 08:17:39 PM »

Thanks for the update Debbie!  foxbinocs

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 27-May-14, 09:00:44 PM »

Thanks Deb, glad the little one was OK. Nerves of steel watchers must have!!  Yay on the chocolate!! LOL

Falconatic1
Eyas

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 02-Jun-14, 01:19:12 PM »

You might be interested in watching this NBC Bay area news story about the San Jose falcons and fledge watch. It shows the San Jose City Hall building, our fledge watch headquarters atop a nearby parking garage, and all my falcon friends, the fledge watchers (except for me - I had left a couple of days before this video was made).

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Volunteers-Keep-Round-The-Clock-Watch-On-San-Jose-s-Newest--Feathered-Residents/260857931

As of this morning, all four fledglings are flying just fine.  clap

They are ranging out a bit farther from the nest box ledge, making them harder to spot around the city. This also means they are now rarely on the falcon cams!  There are two or three dedicated watchers who live there, who go downtown every day and report on our Yahoo forum what they have observed.

Here are more links to photos and videos about the San Jose falcons over the last eight years:

Still shots of the San Jose falcons taken through the web cam:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/23930319@N03/sets/

Youtube videos of the San Jose falcons through the years, the most recent just posted yesterday!
www.youtube.com/user/SanJosePFA/videos

One of our falconatic paparazzi who lives in San Jose and takes fabulous photos of the falcons there has this Flickr site:  he posts photos to this site almost every day.
www.flickr.com/photos/gimlack/sets

Falcon merchandise online store (which I designed after seeing yours):
www.cafepress.com/sanjosefalcons

Have fun watching!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 02-Jun-14, 09:41:12 PM »

All the links worked for me except the Watcher video! It was just black! Fun stuff in there and the pics are nice from the cams! Thanks for posting.....good luck!  2thumbsup

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 20-Feb-15, 09:16:08 AM »

First egg of the season (first 'known' egg that is) laid last night by Clara at approximately 9:59 pm!
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 20-Feb-15, 09:27:57 AM »

clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 20-Feb-15, 10:13:56 AM »

hatch1
« Last Edit: 20-Feb-15, 01:14:54 PM by MAK » Logged

-John Burroughs
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 20-Feb-15, 10:23:57 AM »

hatch1
No hatch. Clara has laid her first egg.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 20-Feb-15, 01:15:18 PM »

hatch1
No hatch. Clara has laid her first egg.

Oops!  stupid

-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 20-Feb-15, 03:37:07 PM »

The egg:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: