THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 01:33:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red-tailed Hawk webcam at Franklin Institute in Philadelphia  (Read 28619 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 31-Jul-13, 10:02:57 AM »

Thanks D!  pray

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02-Aug-13, 08:44:58 AM »

Franklin Institute Hawks Killed After Crashing Into Glass

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) - The deaths of two of the Franklin Institute hawk fledglings after flying into windows points to a worldwide problem.

For five years, the growth of the Franklin Institute nestlings has been followed by fans around the world ā€” through the nest cam, the Franklin Hawkaholics Facebook page, and the Hawkwatch at the Franklin Institute blog . Although the original adult male hawk, dubbed Dad by fans, was killed last year, the fledglings from the first four broods are believed to have survived to migrate in the fall.

Blogger Della Micah says the deaths of two of this yearā€™s fledglings serve as a wakeup call.

ā€œThe 80-90 percent mortality rate for red-tailed hawks in their first year is absolutely proving.ā€ Micah says the manner in which the fledglings died opened her eyes to a widespread problem. ā€œI certainly think the birds hitting windows that they canā€™t see definitely raise awareness for me.ā€

Muhlenberg Biology professor Daniel Klem has devoted his career to the study of bird-glass collisions. He says itā€™s impossible to know exactly how or what birds see ā€” so researchers study their behavior for insight.

ā€œBirds just really behave as if clear and reflective windows are invisible to them.ā€ Klem says that every year, window strikes claim the lives of about a billion birds in the United States alone.

But he says itā€™s preventable. ā€œItā€™s very important that you destroy the reflection, so you donā€™t get the animals being deceived by the facing habitat and sky thatā€™s mirrored in the pane.ā€

That can be done on a residential scale with decals or screening. On a larger scale, Klem has been pushing for the production of glass with a pattern in the ultraviolet range that birds can see, but we canā€™t.

With more glass-clad green buildings going up, says Klem, the need grows more pressing.

ā€œIt doesnā€™t matter what they label their ā€˜greenā€™ buildings,ā€ Klem said. ā€œA buildingā€™s never green if itā€™s killing birds.ā€

Della Micah says the way in which the two young hawks died may help spur change.

ā€œI hope if thereā€™s good which can come from this, is that people really take a look at any large sheets of glass for which theyā€™re responsible, that a bird potentially, could fly into, and try to take some of the appropriate measures, to make it more bird-friendly.ā€

CBS Philly

Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 268

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02-Aug-13, 09:17:44 AM »

ā€œIt doesnā€™t matter what they label their ā€˜greenā€™ buildings,ā€ Klem said. ā€œA buildingā€™s never green if itā€™s killing birds.ā€

Good point. Also true of wind generators.

Paul
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03-Aug-13, 12:55:46 PM »

Saturday morning (Aug. 3) Update: Peanut made it through the night; he's resting in a dark /quiet cage, and continuing to receive supportive care. 

Come on Peanut!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03-Aug-13, 02:51:06 PM »

We're rooting for ya Peanut!  pray

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11-Aug-13, 11:27:01 AM »

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/08/11/franklin-institute-red-tailed-hawk-on-the-mend/

Peanut on the mend 

Schubert says Peanut couldnā€™t use his legs at first, but now, heā€™s sitting on a perch. Thereā€™s one big sign of improvement ā€” the bird is loudly demanding food.  heart

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11-Aug-13, 11:42:14 AM »

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/08/11/franklin-institute-red-tailed-hawk-on-the-mend/

Peanut on the mend 

Schubert says Peanut couldnā€™t use his legs at first, but now, heā€™s sitting on a perch. Thereā€™s one big sign of improvement ā€” the bird is loudly demanding food.  heart

Good to hear!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 19-Aug-13, 06:35:50 AM »

http://sunnydixie.blogspot.com/

Update: Peanut is flying! 

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19-Aug-13, 09:16:27 PM »

http://sunnydixie.blogspot.com/

Update: Peanut is flying! 

Sweet!  2thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23-Aug-13, 03:12:03 PM »

Just saw this update on Peanut!

Greetings hawk fans. Although you probably suspect it, since someone spilled the beans, I'm happy to report that today Peanut was released to an excellent undisclosed location. He is flying, soaring, and hunting. He will be supported with food drops to ensure he gets his bearings. It's the perfect spot for a hawk - lots of prey and perching, but not too many human-caused dangers. Thank you all so much for caring so much, and for the donations to the clinic. Fly free and live well, young hawk!

Wonderful news!!!   2thumbsup

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23-Aug-13, 04:02:25 PM »

yahoo mbanana bguitar dance1 thanks2

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23-Aug-13, 11:29:11 PM »

YAY, I'm so happy!! Go Peanut!!!  heart

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 26-Aug-13, 07:29:45 AM »

http://youtu.be/WWxlmrAprtc

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 08-Mar-14, 03:50:54 PM »

This is a bummer...posted on the Franklin Hawkaholics FB page:

Over the last 5 years, this group has been privileged to see Mom and Dad and then Mom and T2 raise 15 hawks at the Franklin Institute. In that time, a fine community has evolved with the shared interest in the observation of this nest.

Over the past two days, Carolyn Card Sutton and today, both of us, have observed T-2 and Mom gathering materials for nest building, but they are flying them to the light platform over the train yards at 30th Street. Unless their behavior takes a sharp change, it looks like they will be establishing a new nest there.

It is largely inaccessible, and view-able only from a distance. For all of us who have been enthralled by their story, this is difficult news. The platform has no nearby trees or buildings, and they are sandwiching the nest between the bottom of the lights and the platform that sustains them.

Last year, Mom and T-2 attempted to build a nest at the Glaxo Smith Kline building but abandoned that effort and moved back to the FI, although it was at an earlier point in time. We can hope that is what they will do again.

Of course, we will continue to monitor the situation, and will post some pictures of what we were able to see today, but we wanted to prepare for what might be a disappointing season of observation.

A posted comment said that this is a very dangerous area and it's where Dad was killed a couple years ago...will be very bad for fledglings.  I've watched this site for 5 years and this is so disappointing to hear after all the tragedy of last year.

Sad

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21-Mar-14, 02:35:39 PM »

Very sad news today:  

I have bad news to report. As you know, we have not seen T2 since St. Paddy's Day. I asked our contact at Amtrak to have yard workers take a look around. The track inspector reports that workers saw a dead hawk on the tracks earlier this week. They knew about the nest and have seen no action there since that time. I guess we have to accept the fact that we have lost T2. RIP brave hawk. You will always be our hero.

Fly free, T2.   crying   sorrow
« Last Edit: 21-Mar-14, 02:41:23 PM by Kris G. » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: