THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 01:37:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red-tailed Hawk webcam at Franklin Institute in Philadelphia  (Read 28621 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03-Jul-13, 08:12:57 PM »

3 RTH's hatched here this year- Peanut, the lone male, and the "formel twins".  Sadly, one of the twins flew hard into a window this afternoon playing with her siblings and died on impact.  Fly free, F2.   sorrow

http://sunnydixie.blogspot.com/

Oh shoot, they were doing so well too!  Sad

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03-Jul-13, 09:37:52 PM »

3 RTH's hatched here this year- Peanut, the lone male, and the "formel twins".  Sadly, one of the twins flew hard into a window this afternoon playing with her siblings and died on impact.  Fly free, F2.   sorrow

http://sunnydixie.blogspot.com/

Oh shoot, they were doing so well too!  Sad

Clarification on my post-there are 2 tiercels left-the twins were male and female with the lone formel being deceased.  From what I've read in comments, they're going to preserve her body and use her for educational purposes.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21-Jul-13, 10:49:13 PM »

Posted today:

One of the surviving brothers has hit a window at Moore College (same area where the female hit a window and died from injuries) and suffered a concussion.  He's at a rehab facility and they hope for a quick release.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21-Jul-13, 11:28:32 PM »

Posted today:

One of the surviving brothers has hit a window at Moore College (same area where the female hit a window and died from injuries) and suffered a concussion.  He's at a rehab facility and they hope for a quick release.

Just goes to show, no matter how long they have been flying, there is still a danger. Bless him and hope he will be OK. Hope our juvies do well also and don't get too cocky!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22-Jul-13, 04:55:40 PM »

Posted today:

Just goes to show, no matter how long they have been flying, there is still a danger. Bless him and hope he will be OK. Hope our juvies do well also and don't get too cocky!

Agreed!  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27-Jul-13, 12:51:52 PM »

2nd FI RTH has died  sorrow

From FB:

I am very sorry to have to post this message from Rick Schubert, Schuylkill Wildlife Clinic Director:

Important notice

The RTH from the Franklin Institute died last night.

We are unsure exactly why this happened, although it is not surprising when an animal has severe blunt impact trauma from flying into a window and then falls a long distance to the ground. There is often internal damage and organ rupturing that cannot be seen, felt, or detected. The majority of red-tailed hawks do not make it to adulthood.

Both the Clinic staff and Dr. Boutette did everything possible for the bird.

This is the reality of wildlife in the city. For four years with the Hawkcam we had fairy-tale endings, which is far from typical. Typically, the world of humans and the world of animals collide and life is brutal, ugly, and short. That’s why wildlife rehabilitators are here, to undo what little damage we can and to alleviate what suffering we can. Now we have to move on and focus on the other four hawks we are currently caring for, as well as the thousands of other animals. Hopefully the last fledgling will survive and fly off and life will go on for these hawks and all the other wildlife.

Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27-Jul-13, 12:55:26 PM »

Cry

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27-Jul-13, 06:50:17 PM »

Sad

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30-Jul-13, 10:02:48 AM »

The only survivor of this year's 3 RTH juvies, Peanut, has been found down and was taken to a Vet.  The hits just keep coming... Sad

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30-Jul-13, 10:07:21 AM »

The only survivor of this year's 3 RTH juvies, Peanut, has been found down and was taken to a Vet.  The hits just keep coming... Sad

Just saw that on fb, someone saw one down near the Parkway, waiting for someone to retrieve it. So so darn sad that all 3 had met with trouble.  Good grief!!  Sad

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30-Jul-13, 12:13:47 PM »

Update on Peanut:

Update on P-Nut's condition. He was lying flat in the grass, sometimes w/wings spread out like he was mantling, sometimes w/wings drawn in. When I approached he was alert w/head feathers out and beak open. He wanted to get away, but did not seem to be able to coordinate his escape. I was able to grasp him w/gloves and get him into a box. Rick examined him and found nothing obvious wrong. Appeared not to have broken wings/legs; had feeling in his toes; eyes/pupils focused/dilated normally, but he seemed disoriented. Rick thinks he may have been "rolled by a car". He's had fluids and meds and is resting comfortably in a dark environment. Please don't call the clinic. Let Rick watch him and report when he has more definitive information.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30-Jul-13, 12:24:26 PM »

Update on Peanut:

Update on P-Nut's condition. He was lying flat in the grass, sometimes w/wings spread out like he was mantling, sometimes w/wings drawn in. When I approached he was alert w/head feathers out and beak open. He wanted to get away, but did not seem to be able to coordinate his escape. I was able to grasp him w/gloves and get him into a box. Rick examined him and found nothing obvious wrong. Appeared not to have broken wings/legs; had feeling in his toes; eyes/pupils focused/dilated normally, but he seemed disoriented. Rick thinks he may have been "rolled by a car". He's had fluids and meds and is resting comfortably in a dark environment. Please don't call the clinic. Let Rick watch him and report when he has more definitive information.

That's promising!! Thanks

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30-Jul-13, 12:28:52 PM »

Update on Peanut:

That's promising!! Thanks

That's what they said about the last one-just a concussion and dead in a week.  Hoping better things for this one.  This is the first year in 5 yrs that any have been lost-a really bad yr.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30-Jul-13, 07:00:47 PM »

I'm thinking positive thoughts for Peanut!  pray

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31-Jul-13, 07:58:55 AM »

Hawk may fly again with help!   Hit by car

http://philly.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Last of three baby red-tails was hit by a car — but saved.

It’s been a bad-luck year for the redtailed hawks nesting on a ledge of the Franklin Institute.
DINKO MITIC / For The Inquirer
Peanut flies over the Parkway before his mishap on Tuesday, emitting his trademark red-tailed hawk high-pitched cry.
Two of the youngsters died this month after flying into windows at Moore College of Art, just around the corner. The third was found Tuesday morning on the ground next to the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
He was alive but injured, and was taken to the wildlife rehabilitation center at the Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education in Roxborough. Rick Schubert, director of wildlife rehabilitation, determined that the bird had likely been grazed by a car, perhaps hitting the windshield.
So, after four years of all the young hawks surviving — a “fairy tale,” Schubert said — the perils of urban life may be catching up to them.
“Animals and the world of humans collide, and it’s usual brutal, violent, and short — for the animals,” Schubert said.
Even in the wild, two out of three young hawks never make it to adulthood, perhaps sometimes because they are unable to find food.
“They might not be the strongest, smartest, quickest ones,” Schubert said, “and they don’t survive.” Add the compounding factors of the urban environment — “the lights, the roads, the cars, the buildings, the cats, the poisons, and everything else” — and it’s amazing the Franklin Institute’s baby birds have done so well. ( At least until growing up and disappearing into the wild blue yonder.)
Then again, no wild bird has the watchful eyes of the Franklin Institute hawks. These birds have been stars of a webcam since they started nesting on the third-floor ledge in 2009.
And every day in recent years, more people come out to gawk at and photograph them.
Last year, when the adult male was killed by a truck on the Schuylkill Expressway, a witness knew about the celebrated hawks and posted on the “Franklin Hawkaholics” Facebook page.
Miraculously, another male arrived and the female accepted him. The nest continued.
On Tuesday, when the third hawk of this year’s nest was found injured — the last to hatch and the first to fly; his fans dubbed him Peanut — it was his Facebook following that came to his rescue.
Most of the regulars were elsewhere, watching the empty-nesters — the mother atop a roof near 20th and Callowhill, or the father at 15th and Vine.
Franklin Institute communications manager Sean Tobin spotted the bird on his way to work. He summoned the director of facilities, Mark Harmon, the museum’s unofficial liaison with the watchers.
Harmon stood over the injured bird, and, not having phone numbers at hand, posted “hawk down” on Facebook.
Carolyn Sutton was five minutes away. She arrived with heavy gloves and a box — always at the ready in her car.
The East Falls resident is a volunteer with the wildlife rehab center, and every day of nest season, for five years, she has gone downtown by dawn to monitor the birds.
Sutton drove Peanut to the center, where by afternoon he was in a darkened area to keep him calm, awaiting X-rays.
The two birds that flew into Moore windows were less lucky, but the first at least was preserved as a specimen at the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University.
“It might seem strange to have red- tailed hawks as window kills,” said collections manager Nate Rice, “but we get virtually every major group of birds,” including peregrine falcons, shorebirds, songbirds, woodpeckers, owls, rails, and others.
Moore spokesman Roy Wilbur said the college is planning to install banners featuring students’ work in two large windows over the entrance — where they consider collision risk the highest.

“We’re just so devastated about the other two,” Wilbur said. “We’re hoping Peanut is OK.”

Posted the whole article as some have to sign in to read this: Philadelphia Inquirer

« Last Edit: 31-Jul-13, 08:47:53 AM by Donna » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: