THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 03:12:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1321491 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: 19-Jun-12, 08:47:10 PM »

Murray Shields   19 June 20:28
Late afternoon report from Don Mills. All was well at feeding time around 5:30. Mira had been missing most of the afternoon, but she came flying in much to me & Mark's relief. We think she was zonked out on a ledge on the west side of 220.   2thumbsup

Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: 19-Jun-12, 09:57:46 PM »

Late afternoon report from Don Mills. All was well at feeding time around 5:30. Mira had been missing most of the afternoon, but she came flying in much to me & Mark's relief. We think she was zonked out on a ledge on the west side of 220.   2thumbsup
My local fledgelings are like that, too.  A couple of heroic flights, a few dangers avoided, and they land somewhere and pancake, regressing to two week old chicks.    Glad to hear all three are doing well.

Paul
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: 19-Jun-12, 10:29:57 PM »

Yes!   Good news from Quest and Kendal and the babes! 
 clap
 angel
Keep them safe. 
valhalla
« Reply #2223 on: 20-Jun-12, 07:57:09 AM »

yahoo   2thumbsup
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: 20-Jun-12, 03:06:00 PM »

!!! All of the boys and girls are doing great!
June 19, 2012 - Toronto - Don Mills

Mark Nash Reports:

June 19th - 2012
It would seem that for the next few days during this heat wave and this oppressive humidity that our for best friends will continue to our cars air conditioning and a steady supply of Advil - (pretty typical for most of us at this time of year anyway)

Despite the heat wave and humidity reaching 36 plus degrees C - (over 95 degrees F for us old imperial folks), with the combined help of the many supporters, local volunteers, the great Harlequin staff and the CPF fledge watch team, we had a pretty good idea on the whereabouts of the young fledglings positions throughout the entire day and evening. They didn’t escape our view for very long! Ha Ha, we’re good!!!

Most notability today given that so much has been happening with the “kids”, they have learned - (at least in part) what shade is all about and have hiding out in some shady spots to get out of the blistering sun. Like most all young children (and some adults I have met) they have limited attention spans and for the fledglings, even hiding out in the shade to col off is short lived.

Now that all of the fledglings are actually flighted, they are back together again and have been off and on all day. Several time Quest came in with food (mostly to the nest building roof top) and we watched all of the fledglings come together and mom fed them beak to beak. Quite a tender family moment for sure!! * See photos

While Amora is still not as confident as her tow other siblings in their flight, by the end of the day she was taking some very short flights from roof top to roof top between 220 and 225 roofs.

Mira and Blaze on the other hand are rocking!! Actually scary given that they are building up allot of speed (and still 50% of their landings are terrible)!! Learn by experience!

This is typically the time that they end up sometimes crashing into stuff (very hard) unable to operate the “air-brakes” proficiently enough to stop them in time. Lets hope that they settle down. This time is like the 16 year kid, just got his drivers licence and the keys to the parents car for the first time,, ONLY the car is a Porch!

On three occasions today when the fledglings were hiding out in the shade and couldn’t be seen, Quest was back into the nest box almost appearing to be pinning for babies again. While she didn’t actually lay down, she just stood upright gazing out into the airspace.
(Maybe she was actually thinking and wondering when all this stress is going to be over and have a quiet house - back to herself again)?

All of the birds were noticeably very hot and panted all day trying to cool off and get oxygen. I really felt sorry for them as both adults really struggled for the mosts of he day to hold their altitude in this air.

Later on the in the late afternoon and early evening, it got a little cooler (but don’ kid yourself, not by much), but enough to given the birds some decent air and less direct sun to do some flying around. Still bad landings, and allot of shortness of breath, all three fledglings were airborne playing some short “catch me if you can games”, and “tag your it”. Lot so rests and more food.

By the end of the day, all of the fledglings were back on the nest building in various places all in view.

Given by what I have seen today and their activities and ability to both hold their altitudes and able return back to the nest ledge itself (and all of the upper roof elevations), we can conclude our full time dawn to dusk fledge watch.

We will remain watching with daily spot checks but must depend on you to carry on with periodic checks to ensure that they are not getting in trouble. They can still run into challengers as they investigate their new world and get trapped behind glass balconies and run into windows that may bring them to the ground.

We must also remember that despite the fact that the juveniles are now flighted, they are solely dependant on the adult parents for food, support and protection for the next 30 to 60 days until they are trained to hunt, shown what to hunt, then able to successfully hunt, they will still be returning to the nest box / ledge and the nest building roof top for security and their parents protection. This is still their home, and at this point the only one that they know!

We are counting on your support (as are the birds) for your support to further watch out for them.
We are, and remain on our mobile cell phones on a 24/7 call and not too far away on yet another fledge watch at the Scarborough Yellow pages nest site where another group of hatchlings is only just now starting to take their first flights.

Stay tuned…………………………

Posted on June 20, 2012 3:01 pm
Observation for Toronto - Don Mills

margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: 20-Jun-12, 08:44:10 PM »

!!! All of the boys and girls are doing great!
June 19, 2012 - Toronto - Don Mills

Mark Nash Reports:

June 19th - 2012
It would seem that for the next few days during this heat wave and this oppressive humidity that our for best friends will continue to our cars air conditioning and a steady supply of Advil - (pretty typical for most of us at this time of year anyway)

Despite the heat wave and humidity reaching 36 plus degrees C - (over 95 degrees F for us old imperial folks), with the combined help of the many supporters, local volunteers, the great Harlequin staff and the CPF fledge watch team, we had a pretty good idea on the whereabouts of the young fledglings positions throughout the entire day and evening. They didn’t escape our view for very long! Ha Ha, we’re good!!!

Most notability today given that so much has been happening with the “kids”, they have learned - (at least in part) what shade is all about and have hiding out in some shady spots to get out of the blistering sun. Like most all young children (and some adults I have met) they have limited attention spans and for the fledglings, even hiding out in the shade to col off is short lived.

Now that all of the fledglings are actually flighted, they are back together again and have been off and on all day. Several time Quest came in with food (mostly to the nest building roof top) and we watched all of the fledglings come together and mom fed them beak to beak. Quite a tender family moment for sure!! * See photos

While Amora is still not as confident as her tow other siblings in their flight, by the end of the day she was taking some very short flights from roof top to roof top between 220 and 225 roofs.

Mira and Blaze on the other hand are rocking!! Actually scary given that they are building up allot of speed (and still 50% of their landings are terrible)!! Learn by experience!

This is typically the time that they end up sometimes crashing into stuff (very hard) unable to operate the “air-brakes” proficiently enough to stop them in time. Lets hope that they settle down. This time is like the 16 year kid, just got his drivers licence and the keys to the parents car for the first time,, ONLY the car is a Porch!

On three occasions today when the fledglings were hiding out in the shade and couldn’t be seen, Quest was back into the nest box almost appearing to be pinning for babies again. While she didn’t actually lay down, she just stood upright gazing out into the airspace.
(Maybe she was actually thinking and wondering when all this stress is going to be over and have a quiet house - back to herself again)?

All of the birds were noticeably very hot and panted all day trying to cool off and get oxygen. I really felt sorry for them as both adults really struggled for the mosts of he day to hold their altitude in this air.

Later on the in the late afternoon and early evening, it got a little cooler (but don’ kid yourself, not by much), but enough to given the birds some decent air and less direct sun to do some flying around. Still bad landings, and allot of shortness of breath, all three fledglings were airborne playing some short “catch me if you can games”, and “tag your it”. Lot so rests and more food.

By the end of the day, all of the fledglings were back on the nest building in various places all in view.

Given by what I have seen today and their activities and ability to both hold their altitudes and able return back to the nest ledge itself (and all of the upper roof elevations), we can conclude our full time dawn to dusk fledge watch.

We will remain watching with daily spot checks but must depend on you to carry on with periodic checks to ensure that they are not getting in trouble. They can still run into challengers as they investigate their new world and get trapped behind glass balconies and run into windows that may bring them to the ground.

We must also remember that despite the fact that the juveniles are now flighted, they are solely dependant on the adult parents for food, support and protection for the next 30 to 60 days until they are trained to hunt, shown what to hunt, then able to successfully hunt, they will still be returning to the nest box / ledge and the nest building roof top for security and their parents protection. This is still their home, and at this point the only one that they know!

We are counting on your support (as are the birds) for your support to further watch out for them.
We are, and remain on our mobile cell phones on a 24/7 call and not too far away on yet another fledge watch at the Scarborough Yellow pages nest site where another group of hatchlings is only just now starting to take their first flights.

Stay tuned…………………………

Posted on June 20, 2012 3:01 pm

An exciting yet sobering report from Mark.  Despite the excitement of today with our own hatch in ROC, I did check in our Quest and Kendal and babes. And our RM and T at Sheraton Centre!    Keeping all in my thoughts.  You at CPF are awesome! 
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: 21-Jun-12, 04:30:28 PM »

Don Mills - A tough evening BUT A VERY GOOD GOOD ENDING
June 20, 2012 - Toronto - Don Mills
Ann Brokelman Reports:

A tough evening with a very good ending

Arrived at Harlequin to introduce my daughter Julie to Quest and Kendal and family.

We enjoyed watching them running the building and doing some flying. All five in sight.

Amora was sitting on top of the building with Mira and Blaze going after each other on the next level up on building.

Quest and Kendal were soaring together above us. Beautiful. Mira and Blaze started to play touch talon and soaring and chasing.

Dean a neighbour from Harlequin was watching from his car.  Suddenly the two youngster were chasing each other, one took off in front of Harlequin and one around the east side and right into the window.  At this time we had no idea who it was.

Dean, Julie and I started to search for the youngster.  Julie was checking the bushes when a peregrine jumped up and lifted up his wings at her. Julie used her iphone and took a shot and called for me. Dean called as well.  It was Blaze.

He then flew very low to the ground and kept going across the parking lot and over the two road and disappeared.  The search was on again.  Two youngsters were seen then a third landed at the building to the west of the nest.

He was bobbing but landed ok. He then flew to nest building, lost his landing and dissappeared behind nest building.  Note: That Julie and Dean were trying to following him on foot while I was watching to see if he came to the front.  At this time he dissappeared from sight.  Tracy arrived thank goodness and took charge. We located 4 peregrines but it was now dark and we couldn’t see the tages on the two juv.  Tracy was pretty sure that one was blaze.  We all had to leave as we couldn’t see anyting. But thanks to Tracy that he went down but was able to fly at least 3 times, his eyes ere open when seeing Julie, and preening on the first roof she felt he had a good chance.

Dean and Julie meet this morning at 6am and were able to account for 3 juveniles and 2 adults.  Blaze was being fed with Mira and Amora was back on the corner building.

I want to thank Dean and Julie for their support and for their ability to follow the peregrines even as it got dark. The security guard who found a drink for us, the heat was horrible. Tracy who pulled us together and kept us hopeful and Mark who talked me throught this by phone.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: 21-Jun-12, 05:58:40 PM »

Kendal and shadow by Ann B

WW
Fluffball

Like Count: 6

View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: 21-Jun-12, 06:13:36 PM »

Toronto is getting some very nasty weather now (very very heavy rain, strong wind, lighting and thurdering.) I hope all member of quest and kendal family can find a dry corner to tuck in for the night.
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: 21-Jun-12, 08:35:20 PM »

So glad that all are accounted for at Don Mills!      And Linn's little ones too!
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: 21-Jun-12, 08:38:53 PM »

Hopefully the storm will change this extreme heat and humidity and be more comfortable for the nesters and babes.   Maybe it will keep them in their next boxes for a bit.  Sure hope the rain and winds reach here over night!
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: 21-Jun-12, 10:50:07 PM »

Toronto is getting some very nasty weather now (very very heavy rain, strong wind, lighting and thurdering.) I hope all member of quest and kendal family can find a dry corner to tuck in for the night.

Hi WW!   wave  Thankfully this storm will bring cooler air.  80 degrees (F) vs 90+.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: 22-Jun-12, 12:58:15 PM »

!!! All three fledglings in sight and mon and dad are attending!
June 22, 2012 - Toronto - Don Mills

Mark Nash Reports:

June 22-2012
Murray reports this morning that one of his roving spot checks earlier this morning yielded good news in that all three fledglings were observed at the same time. 2 juveniles and both parents were on building at 240 and the 3rd fledgling was on the building at 220.
Looks like everyone survived the storms and torrential rains that we has move in last night.

The storm was a welcomed sight as the oppressive humidity and hot blistering air has been blown on down the road as we say, and its actually much cooler today.

Posted on June 22, 2012 10:53 am

WW
Fluffball

Like Count: 6

View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: 23-Jun-12, 12:26:29 AM »

Hi WW!   wave  Thankfully this storm will bring cooler air.  80 degrees (F) vs 90+.

Hi hi Carol  wave the storm last night did help toronto to cool down a bit.
I was out this evening at the yellow page building to do my first fledge watch on Linh and Reuben's kids. it was an amazing experience. it was very comfortable and even windy/cold, it helps the babies and parents a little bit, all of them were in view and in good shape.
Mark and Tracy were very kind to allowed us to see the release of Albus (who was rescued earlier in the day) back onto the ledge.  wub2

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: 24-Jun-12, 10:34:33 PM »

Bonding today

From Kris G!!   clap

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: