THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 06:20:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1309483 times)
Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: 27-Jun-11, 04:25:03 PM »

Look hat me I'm a big girlie !  heart

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1021 on: 27-Jun-11, 04:42:03 PM »

Mom, what's that thing sticking out of your back.  Am I gonna grow one of those, too?

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
kat
Fledgling

Like Count: 13

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: 27-Jun-11, 05:33:54 PM »

Kat - You are officially a Falcon-mom now.  It never gets any easier I'm afraid and when Harlequin is ready to fledge, you'll be  scared blue

Remember, they are built for speed.  Their first flights are usually ok, but they tire quickly and they have no idea how to land.  We have seen many fledglings miss landings and hit windows and buildings and slide down roofs.  All you can do is keep an eye on her and help if needed.

My guess for a first flight will be directly at your building.  Are there ledges on your windows?  Someone may get a visitor.  If this happens, make sure everyone knows to not get too close to her.  It may scare her and force her to take off again before she's ready.  Once she lands (hopefully safely), she'll rest for a little while before trying again.  Thankfully there are not a lot of tall, glass covered buildings around you, like Rhea Mae's little ones have to deal with.

Quest and Kendal will attempt to get her to fly again, with fly-bys and food.  She will fly again, when she's ready.

After those first flights, she'll get stronger and learn to land on those big yellow feet.

I won't lie.  Watching a Peregrine fledge is not easy on the nerves, but it won't be long before she is flying strong, chasing mom and dad and snatching food from them mid-air.  It is so incredible to witness this.

Enjoy!  I envy you.   happy

and please do not hesitate to ask any questions.  The CPF will be with you all the way.

Carol P.

Thanks so much for guiding me through this Carol! I'll be seeking the support of everyone here as I watch those first couple of attempts, no doubt! There are no ledges on our building, so hopefully she doesn't take a notion to fly toward us. Ack. Can't she just stay the way she is forever?!
carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: 27-Jun-11, 06:35:41 PM »

Great Pics Kat,she's fabulous.Greetings Carla
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1024 on: 27-Jun-11, 06:46:57 PM »

Kat, can you put landing platforms out of some of those windows?   Cheesy. Seriously, you will stop breathing when she first flies.  Which direction do Quest and Kendal come in from?  She will copy them and try to follow.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: 27-Jun-11, 07:26:40 PM »

Some pics from today. Harlie is a huge girl...look out Kendal when she comes at you for food.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: 27-Jun-11, 07:27:43 PM »

2 more

grannywood
Eyas

Like Count: 32

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: 27-Jun-11, 09:21:07 PM »

Just catching up on some pics.  Here is a look back at Harlequin's Banding day.  Hope you enjoy !

http://tinyurl.com/44jradk

Dana

Dana
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: 27-Jun-11, 09:33:00 PM »

Dana, you really took some great pics. Love the Quest pics. Well done! Thank you.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: 27-Jun-11, 09:50:58 PM »

Beautiful pictures Dana.  11 Rochester Falcon Watchers received invites to this wonderful event.  Shaky, Carrie, Susan C, Tim, Lynda, Joyce, MAK, Kathy O, Dana, Lisa McK, & Carol P.  We were the special guests of Mark Nash and the Canadian Peregrine Foundation.  We were very thankful and honored to witness yet another chapter in the M&K Legacy book.  

When it's your time Harlequin, fly free and strong little one.  The eyes of the world will be watching.   heart

Peregrines know no borders.....
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: 27-Jun-11, 09:54:55 PM »

So excellent, Dana!!!!!!!  They are just beautiful!!!!! 2thumbsup

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: 27-Jun-11, 09:55:57 PM »

Just catching up on some pics.  Here is a look back at Harlequin's Banding day.  Hope you enjoy !

Dana

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: 27-Jun-11, 10:58:33 PM »

These pictures are so cute, Kat.  Thank you for posting.    Harlie has changed just in the last two days!  I've watched her so  closely since she hatched, but since Friday -6/24 -- I haven't been able to watch as closely, so all of a sudden she has the "pantaloons"  and the dark eyes.      I can't picture her without Quest by her side.     And I can't picture Quest without little Harlie by her side.  Quest has been such a good parent throughout this event. 
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: 27-Jun-11, 11:21:10 PM »

Dana

I just looked at the pics.  Wonderful pictures!  All of them!  But I have to say that my favorite is Quest flying.  Gorgeous.
But it also made me feel kind of bad for her with that transmitter still on her.  I'm sure it is part of her life now as it's been on for over three years, but do when will it fall off?  Is this all due to the nailpolish?
Is Quest really the first transmitter fitted falcon to reproduce? 
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: 27-Jun-11, 11:25:13 PM »

Beautiful pictures Dana.  11 Rochester Falcon Watchers received invites to this wonderful event.  Shaky, Carrie, Susan C, Tim, Lynda, Joyce, MAK, Kathy O, Dana, Lisa McK, & Carol P.  We were the special guests of Mark Nash and the Canadian Peregrine Foundation.  We were very thankful and honored to witness yet another chapter in the M&K Legacy book.  

When it's your time Harlequin, fly free and strong little one.  The eyes of the world will be watching.   heart

Bravo!
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: