THE FORUM

26-Apr-24, 10:59:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Orchid experts? Help!  (Read 4761 times)
Will
Pipping

Like Count: 4

View Profile WWW
« on: 13-May-11, 04:33:55 PM »

I've had a few store-bought Orchids from Wegmans and Home Depot and NO MATTER WHAT I do they die within weeks.  This includes monitoring their leaf color, bark moisture, making sure they were getting not too much but not too little light, watering with distilled water, etc.  So I get this gorgeous, tall, really nice Orchid plant from the Orchid show back at the beginning of April.  It is really starting to look sad.  I have been watering it once every 5 days and I keep it on my desk which is next to my window which has window blinds on it, basically it's good light to read a book by which is supposed to be perfect.  Temps go from ~62 at night to about 72 during the day.

What else can I do!?!?  Is there anyone that'd be interested in rescuing this plant?  Because it's going to die and I really have no other choice but to just let it because I don't know what else to do.

carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13-May-11, 05:15:33 PM »

Less water I think .I'm not an expert,but I always have a few,and sometimes they give flowers for a second time.Better less water then too much.

Greetings Carla
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-May-11, 05:53:07 PM »

Every Orchid me and my daughter ever received has died!! Beautiful but hard to keep. IMHO! We tried.

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-May-11, 06:37:29 PM »

Will, I'm no expert either but I agree with Carla that less water might be better. Perhaps you could poke your finger into the bark medium to determine when more water is needed, rather than follow a rigid watering schedule.  Sitting your plant on a tray of pebbles and water would help keep the air pleasantly humid around your plant without excess watering - just make sure the bottom of the pot isn't actually IN the water.   I would also give your orchid more light, either by pulling up those window blinds during the day and/or moving the plant closer to the window. Direct hot sunlight will burn the leaves, but otherwise most orchids like as much bright light as possible.  They also like good air circulation, so open that window, or another nearby, for a while on nice days.  Hope this helps.

Dot in PA
valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 13-May-11, 07:21:02 PM »

Whole Foods in Annapolis has some lovely orchids and the plant lady is a good one.  YOU would know your best local source of information, so go ask!  I'm also inclined to less water and also the pot and soil (you need an expert).
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-May-11, 10:27:15 PM »

The care that it needs will be dependent on what kind of Orchid it is.
The most common one sold at many stores these days, including at the Home Depot where I work, in the Garden Department,  is Phalaenopsis, and they are not potted correctly for continued life, unfortunately.
In their natural habitat, most Orchids don't grow in the ground like "normal" plants, they grow in various combinations of debris that collects in the crotches of trees in the jungle.  Depending on what part of the country you live in, Home Depots will have proper Orchid potting mixes, and proper receptacles in which to plant them.  The key is that Orchids require both good drainage and *ventilation* at their roots.
I live in West Virginia, so the only type of Orchid pot we sell in my store is a clay one, with vertical slots on the sides to enable that ventilation.  We also sell a pretty good Phalaenopsis potting mix that has repotting instructions on the bag.  I just sent away to Home Depot dot com for little cedar baskets to transplant my Cattleyas into.  You can find a lot of fairly good care sheets online, depending on the variety.  Orchids' needs aren't too elaborate, but they ARE quite specific.
I would be very interested in what type yours is, and hopefully we can get it turned around for you  happy
Carol
Penelope99
Juvie

Like Count: 18

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14-May-11, 12:17:14 AM »

I am sit at my computer and at my left I have about 20 phalaenopsis in flower. What wonderful orchid!!!! And easy to keep... I have some of these plants since many years.
They need a window at the east and a bath by week or 2 weeks sometimes in automn, a good substrat
(mix of pine bark and peatmoss), and a fertilizer in automn. Not too much water...
And you can have orchids in flower 3/4 months during a year...
Will
Pipping

Like Count: 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 14-May-11, 12:20:49 AM »

Thanks all... this is the Orchid I have, it's a Colm. Wildcat Green Valley - http://www.slipperorchid.com/other_orchids/Colm_Wildcat_GreenValley_Free_2.jpg

Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14-May-11, 09:57:02 AM »

Thanks all... this is the Orchid I have, it's a Colm. Wildcat Green Valley - http://www.slipperorchid.com/other_orchids/Colm_Wildcat_GreenValley_Free_2.jpg

Pretty thing!
There are some pretty good care sheets online.  I found some by Googling Colm Wildcat Green Valley.  Definitely worth saving if you can!
Good luck!
Carol
chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14-May-11, 04:46:36 PM »

finally have a flourishing orchid---secret---lots of in-direct sun light
NO water but an ice cube every 4-5 days--and  encouraging words
(for instance: "looking good orchid") i'm really not kidding
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print