THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 01:28:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eggs or No Eggs at KP! That is the Question!  (Read 31230 times)
glothom
Fledgling

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15-May-11, 12:46:25 PM »

I hope to see you there sometime! I forgot to mention that if someone else is there when you get there and they have already called security you don't have to. Just the first to arrive has to call in. wave

Thanks again MAK.

glo...
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15-May-11, 12:56:06 PM »

I hope to see you there sometime! I forgot to mention that if someone else is there when you get there and they have already called security you don't have to. Just the first to arrive has to call in. wave

Thanks again MAK.

handshake We are ALL part of the team. We'll need all the help we can get once the kids arrive!  Wink

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15-May-11, 03:35:17 PM »

If Unity's eggs hatch are the eyases going to be able to be banded? anybody know?
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15-May-11, 05:36:47 PM »

I don't know for sure if they'll be able to band the KP eyases or not.  As far as I can tell, there is no access to that area.  We're in close contact with Kodak and the DEC.  I hope, together with them, we'll figure it out.

If Unity's eggs hatch are the eyases going to be able to be banded? anybody know?

Peregrines know no borders.....
Lizz
Eyas

Like Count: 7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15-May-11, 05:54:59 PM »

My son and family live off of Weiland.  We will be visiting them for 2 weeks the end of May - beginning of June.  Maybe I can get in some "watching" at KP.  Now that we live in TN, I miss the Rochester action SO much.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15-May-11, 09:32:49 PM »

My son and family live off of Weiland.  We will be visiting them for 2 weeks the end of May - beginning of June.  Maybe I can get in some "watching" at KP.  Now that we live in TN, I miss the Rochester action SO much.

You are most welcome to join us anytime Lizz.  I look forward to meeting you.

bev.
Eyas

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07-Jun-11, 10:22:48 PM »

Poor Beauty.

Are the eggs still viable at Unitys site or are they goners also.
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07-Jun-11, 10:47:58 PM »

bev -

We're fairly certain that the two eggs Unity originally laid at Kodak Park (KP) are not viable.  We aren't certain what caused the abandonment of the eggs.  At this point in time, we haven't yet confirmed with insiders at KP if the eggs are still in the scrape or have been removed.  We are able to see a falcon at the scrape, but we cannot actually see the scrape.

This is Unity's first time with a mate, and anything could have happened.  Watchers were not able to keep an eye on this site on a regular basis so we aren't sure if Unity stopped incubating the eggs because this is her first time, or if it was caused by the realization that her mate had another female, or because of the battle Unity had with Beauty.  Possibly all of the above.

With all of the copulation that has been going on between Unity and Archer, and little activity with Beauty, we suspect there may be a second clutch at KP.  At least we are hoping.

Joyce

P.S.  So glad your favorite gal is back in your sights on a regular basis.  I remember how heart broken you were after the battle.  Glad to hear E4 was found as well.   Amazing how we stay addicted through all of the hardships we see...and still come back for more.  Nothing like it, is there?
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07-Jun-11, 10:56:59 PM »

This evening on Watch, Dana and I spoke to one of the workers inside the power plant.  He reported that there are still two eggs in the scrape.  One is broken.  We assume that these are the original two eggs that Unity laid and abandoned.

He also reported that there has been a lot of activity inside the scrape, which we knew already from our Watches, and that they are very active a few feet away from where the old eggs are located. 

Will there be a 2nd clutch at KP?  Only time will tell.

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04-Jul-11, 02:30:44 AM »

As a follow-up to my falcon watch tweets regarding Unity sitting in the scrape, and Archer under the pigeon box...here are some pics.  The first 6 of U&A were taken around 5:22pm and the last 2 of U were taken when it was almost dark at 9:05 pm. Normally she is perched on the still late in the evening.

[
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04-Jul-11, 06:18:51 AM »

As a follow-up to my falcon watch tweets regarding Unity sitting in the scrape, and Archer under the pigeon box...here are some pics.  The first 6 of U&A were taken around 5:22pm and the last 2 of U were taken when it was almost dark at 9:05 pm. Normally she is perched on the still late in the evening.

Very odd behavior for this time of year. What's going on with her. Maybe she just realized, "Oh I have eggs?" Great pics though for sure.
« Last Edit: 04-Jul-11, 06:48:46 AM by Joyce » Logged

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04-Jul-11, 11:39:58 PM »

[

I'm just catching up again since last night, Joyce.  What do you think all of this means?  They are great shots, and obviously, unity has something of interest in the scrape.  What do YOU think?  You have been watching for years, and are expert ....what's up here?   Tell us...please?  I think the bond between A and U  is a bit stronger than between  A and B...as sad as that makes me feel...but I am only human, and I will leave that part out   :-)
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05-Jul-11, 12:59:39 AM »

@margaret...Sorry, I am no expert in falcon courtship and two females with one male is all new to me and the rest of the Rochester watchers. From reading about known dual sites with one male, if both females accept the situation, then it will continue. I honestly don't think Archer is favoring one location or female over the other.  He considers both sites within his territory and unless he is defeated in one or both, I am not sure things will change. You may think he favors U over B because he spends a great deal of time there, but the behaviors of the two females are different right now.

Beauty is in after nesting mode and her hormones have settled down, where as Unity's were active longer and that's why Archer kept pursuing. She still acts like she wants to nest, maybe because this is her first time with a mate. Her behavior yesterday and today in the scrape surprised Brian and I since the watchers have only seen U&A sitting in various locations and periodically renewing their bond at the scrape. This evening when Unity was not in the scrape, there were no visible signs of eggs.  The ones seen previously have disappeared.

Below are pics at KP around 5:06pm. Unity was in the scrape and Archer perched under the pigon box. When we returned around 8:55pm, there were no falcons in site, then one was spotted on a still.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05-Jul-11, 06:28:18 AM »

Thanks Joyce, we have so much to learn still. Maybe someone here can explain how Jack acted when he first courted two females. Did both females in Canada lay eggs and have successful hatches the first time? Next year, (I'm sure your right), Archer will continue to court both and the girls will be used to his behavior and there won't be as much stress as this year. I can't go another season like this, we may have to adopt a few eyases to put in each nest site.

Great pics, thanks!!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05-Jul-11, 08:32:02 AM »

Donna - when Jack first started courting TR Mom, it was during fledge season (so in June) at his main site so he already had 3 offspring.  TR Mom also had 3 but her mate Milton had been injured so she was bringing up 3 kids on her own and wasn't too excited about Jack coming around at first. She waited until her guys were flying well before she really started to get comfortable with Jack.  At that point he was spending more time here but would check in there to try and woo the other female with flight displays and 'food' gifts.

His bond with Angel was already established and strong as they've been together for several years so it's difficult to compare with Archer and Beauty - though together for a few years now, they've had various challenges that weren't experienced here.  Once the kids at both sites dispersed, Jack did spend more time with TR Mom for several months - to the point where I honestly thought he had abandoned our site however in hindsight it makes sense as he had to court TR Mom and establish a bond with her.

Last Spring he mated with both females and Angel's eggs hatched first - about 5 days prior to TR Mom's - so yes both females had successful nests the first time out in this situation.  Milton was also released about 1 week prior to eggs hatching and so Jack had a territorial battle with him and spent far more time with TR Mom than he did this year during the critical period when he was needed here.  However this year he was here alot more and we figure that's because there was no 'Milton' waiting in the wings so he wasn't worrying about losing any territory.  The timing of hatching likely also drove his behaviour as well as our eggs hatched a good week before his other site.

Now since our kids fledged I've barely seen Jack the past week and he's spending more time with TR Mom and their lone juvie.   I think it's really a 'fluid' situation and really depends on what is happening at each site that drives Jack's behaviour as it doesn't seem to be consistent. In other words we can't predict what he's going to do anymore.  Both of his mates are also several years older than both B & U so he is dealing with two mature females that have established sites and routines whereas in your case, you have Beauty who has some experience and Unity who is likely all over the map with hormones this year due to her young age so it's really a learning experience for everyone.

I think Joyce's assessment below is spot on regarding where Beauty and Unity are in the process. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: