THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 05:50:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Chesapeake Bay, an Island Saved from Sinking  (Read 4939 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 08-Oct-09, 07:17:12 AM »

http://www.voanews.com/specialenglish/2009-10-05-voa1.cfm

Read or listen

Poplar Island in the U.S. state of Maryland was near disappearance until government agencies, experts and volunteers cooperated to rescue it. Transcript of radio broadcast:
05 October 2009

VOICE ONE:

This is SCIENCE IN THE NEWS in VOA Special English. I'm Bob Doughty.

VOICE TWO:

And I'm Shirley Griffith. Today we tell about efforts to save an island in the American state of Maryland. Poplar Island lies about fifty-five kilometers south of Baltimore, in the Chesapeake Bay. This historic waterway opens into the Atlantic Ocean.

(MUSIC)

An aerial view of Poplar Island
VOICE ONE:

People sailing on the Chesapeake Bay often comment about the beauty of the area's water and wetland birds. Uncounted birds have lived in the area for centuries.

But by nineteen ninety, an island important to the birds was sinking. Winds, water and time had reduced Poplar Island to only a few pieces of land. All the land together measured only one and one half hectares. Sometimes, water threatened to cover all of what remained. Birds lost areas where they traditionally lived and reproduced.

But now birds are returning to the island. Poplar Island is in the process of rebirth.  clap  Continued

valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 08-Oct-09, 07:35:48 AM »

They've actually done this in a few places on the Bay.  I often wish that Sharps Island (still has a tilting lighthouse) not too far south of Poplar Island would be a recipient of rebuild.  For those who have read James Michner's Chesapeake, I always morned the loss of the "fictictional" island with the hotel on it.  A great read for those who haven't read it.
Helen in MD
Eyas

Like Count: 76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-Oct-09, 09:40:44 AM »

I've had the great fortune to visit Poplar Island and Hart-Miller Island which has also been the recipient of the dredge material.  When Poplar is full, they will have to look for another place to dump the stuff, so Sharp's might be next.  Peregrines have nested at the light house nest to Hart-Miller.  Not only are birds enjoying the rebirth of these islands, but butterflies, turtles and all sorts of other animals have found a new home or stop-over.
valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 08-Oct-09, 02:27:18 PM »

I've had the great fortune to visit Poplar Island and Hart-Miller Island which has also been the recipient of the dredge material.  When Poplar is full, they will have to look for another place to dump the stuff, so Sharp's might be next.  Peregrines have nested at the light house nest to Hart-Miller.  Not only are birds enjoying the rebirth of these islands, but butterflies, turtles and all sorts of other animals have found a new home or stop-over.

Wasn't one of the SNOWYs on Hart-Miller?  Helen, I would love to see Sharps reborn!   happy
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-Oct-09, 04:45:39 PM »

There were Snowy sightings last November on both Poplar and Hart-Miller Islands.  I fly right over Poplar Island when I go to New England, so I have been watching the island grow for years.  The first time I saw it, I had no idea what was going on in the middle of the Bay.

Paul
Helen in MD
Eyas

Like Count: 76

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-Oct-09, 03:45:17 PM »

The are almost weekly wildlife counts on both of these semi-manmade islands.  On October 10th at Hart-Miller there were 69 species of birds, 1 mammal (red fox), two snake species, 5 each butterfly and moth species, 2 each dragon and damsalfly species and 2 beetle species.  When one considers the lack of habitat before rebuilding, these are amazing numbers.
 hawk foxbinocs 
valhalla
« Reply #6 on: 12-Oct-09, 05:10:26 PM »

I hate to use Mitchner as a source, but he documented and cited his novels so well, that I'm ok using him.  In Hawaii, it was the seeds from bird poop that got stuff growing there in the lava.  Alaska had the fungus and lichens.  Amazing stuff when one considers how strong the desire to live and reproduce is.  Look at the stuff growing in your patio stones!  Amazing!  It is all part of His Master Plan!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-Oct-09, 09:55:24 AM »

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091012/NEWS08/910120315

Delaware Bay's most productive horseshoe crab spawning beach -- and also the area with last spring's highest concentrations of migratory shorebirds -- was washing away, inundated by each high tide.
Advertisement

But late last month, the Army Corps of Engineers combined a maintenance dredging project in the Mispillion Inlet and Harbor with a beach renourishment project to hold off the erosion of the narrow sand spit, at least for a while.

The maintenance dredging cost $650,000. Fixing the federally owned jetty and restoring the beach cost another $186,000.

"For me, the critical thing was just to be able to save that spot," said Kevin Kalasz, a wildlife biologist with the Delaware Natural Heritage and Endangered Species Program. "Mispillion Harbor routinely has the highest horseshoe crab egg densities in the Delaware Bay, attracting the greatest concentrations of red knots and other shorebirds to its shores. This makes the area one of the most important sites for shorebird conservation not only in Delaware, but also in the entire Atlantic Coast flyway."

Ironically, the sandy spit of land is manmade, but in recent years it has become the hot spot for the spawning crabs and migrating birds.

The area is sheltered and even in strong winds provides the crabs a spot to lay their pearly green eggs.

A bounty of eggs draws the migratory birds.

Kalasz said he noticed an erosion problem there after the Mother's Day weekend storm in May 2008.

Then, this year, as scientists were monitoring the crab spawning and bird migration, they discovered that there was little dry sand at high tide at one end of the sand spit. A breach in the rock jetty allowed water from Delaware Bay to flood the beach.

While shorebirds feed most heavily at low tide, they also need roosting areas to rest and digest their food between the low-tide feeding frenzies.

The biologists noticed the problem during the May shorebird migration, but things got worse a few weeks later when the area was pounded with wind and waves in late-season storms.
(2 of 2)

"It was really surprising to all of us," said Charles Myers, Mispillion Harbor project manager for the Army Corps of Engineers.
Advertisement

Myers said he had been in the area in May and had seen all the shorebirds flying around. A month later, he was contacted by state environmental officials because of the rapidly escalating erosion problem.

The corps was already going through a state permit application to do maintenance dredging in the inlet.

So state and federal officials sat down and brainstormed.

The corps was planning to remove two shoal areas -- one from Mispillion Inlet and the other from Cedar Creek, he said.

The problem, though, was that the material on the two shoals wasn't suitable for beach renourishment.

It was fine sand, mud and silt -- not the coarse-grained sand and pebbles that made the sand spit such an attractive location for spawning horseshoe crabs, said Bartholomew Wilson, a geologist with Delaware Coastal Programs.

In recent years, the state coastal programs office has made detailed maps of the Delaware Bay bottom.

The idea was to be able to use them to protect critical habitat on the bay floor and to pinpoint resources like sand, he said.

Wilson, who worked on the mapping project, set out to see if there was a nearby sand source that could be tapped for the beach repair project. They used the maps, followed by core sampling.

They found one spot, but it turned out to be near an old bombing range. Another spot had a muddy bottom.

Then, on the south side of the Mispillion Inlet, Wilson found a spot with coarse sand and gravel.

"It wouldn't be good for a recreational beach, but for horseshoe crabs, it was perfect," he said.

The state and federal agencies worked together. Myers found some additional money to add to the maintenance dredging project -- money that paid for the sand to be pumped onto the beach for restoration.

"This essentially is two projects for the price of one," said Lt. Col. Thomas Tickner, Philadelphia District commander for the corps.

While the work cost a little more, it was less expensive in the long run because state and federal officials didn't have to pay to remobilize the dredge, a significant cost savings, Wilson said.

The corps contracted with Southwind Construction Corp. of Evansville, Ind., to do the maintenance dredging and jetty and beach repair work.

The silt and mud from the dredging were placed on the northern end of the island.

Wilson said it will migrate to the north and provide sediment to naturally rebuild eroding marshes along the bay shoreline.

Wilson and Kalasz said the beach repair is a temporary solution.

State and federal officials are looking into a long-term fix.

In the meantime, Kalasz said, there also is interest in creating other horseshoe crab spawning habitats along the Delaware Bay shore.

Mirta
Fledgling

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13-Oct-09, 09:17:10 PM »

Good info! Thanks for sharing
Mirta
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: