THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 08:44:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toronto Trip - June 10, 2011  (Read 24447 times)
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 13-Jun-11, 01:15:44 AM »

Thanks everyone for your concerns about our ordeal in Canada.  

I feel bad that we missed out on our Saturday falcon watches, and poor MAK & Bruce having to hang out like that all day. Prior to coming to Toronto, Carol, Kathy, Lisa and Dana had signed up to to join in the Sheraton Centre watch on Saturday after seeing Stormin'.  MAK and I thought we would check out Etobicoke Sun Life, since we heard the 3 eyases at that site are ready to fledge too. We were glad we did because Carly was the only one on watch.  Unfortunately, our watch ended too soon.

Carly contacted Bruce Massey while I was exchanging information with the other driver. The driver of the other car, was kind enough to tell us about the Collision Center, but we waited for Bruce. Neither MAK, Carly, or myself had a cell phone. While waiting for Bruce, we went back to falcon watching with Carly. What a perfect thing to distract the mind for a few minutes. She gave us support, keeping us company, and took us inside the Sun Life building.  Credit card pay phones - pretty unique and we could call home. Wonderful man...Bruce! Stayed with us throughout the whole day. Bruce offered his CAA card to call a towing company. He made telephone connections for us to let our fellow falcon watchers know we were OK.

We sure did learn a lot about the way they handle accidents in Toronto.  Never heard of a Collision Center, but it is a convenient way to handle fender benders. There are 3 centers for the entire metropolitan area. The front half of the collision center handles all of the details, then the back half is like a police station.  The tow truck driver wasn't aware that I had a 4-wheel drive, so he couldn't tow it.  He didn't have a flat bed, and I'm not sure if he had dollies.  When I drove my car, it was definitely out of alignment.  My steering wheel had to be held to the left to get the car to go straight.  Immediately upon viewing my car, the policeman said "not drivable."

The CPF people are a fantastic group.  Mark was out-of-town, but he was in touch with Bruce to get status updates.  He even offered us a boat ride across the lake if we couldn't find any way to get home. LOL!

Thanks to our Canadian friends for all your help and support.
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13-Jun-11, 01:24:36 AM »

Joyce, Mark was probably happy he didn't have to rescue you guys from pipes or air conditioning  Wink And didn't he once have to rescued on that boat?

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 13-Jun-11, 01:28:43 AM »

Joyce, Mark was probably happy he didn't have to rescue you guys from pipes or air conditioning  Wink And didn't he once have to rescued on that boat?

I think so. Can you imagine trying to explain to Customs why we were getting a boat ride home?
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 13-Jun-11, 06:17:54 AM »

I'd take the boat ride!  Wink

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 13-Jun-11, 10:12:32 AM »

I think so. Can you imagine trying to explain to Customs why we were getting a boat ride home?

Can you say handcuffs?  police

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 13-Jun-11, 06:36:24 PM »

First, I am so very happy that no one was hurt. Thank goodness!  Second, a big thanks to our CPF friends.  What good friends you are!  clap

Now, imagine our surprise after we arrived at the Toronto Sheraton (just having left Joyce & MAK at Stormin's nest site) and after joining the CPF Watchers Zoe, Anne & Linda W being told  that MAK and Joyce had been in a car accident.  I'm pretty sure they thought we had also been involved in the accident.  It was very confusing and we were shocked and very concerned.  We couldn't believe it!  I wish they had been able to call us (Kathy O and Lisa had working cell phones).  My phone like Joyce's and MAK's does not work once you pass over the border.  We would have joined them in a heartbeat.

When Linda W arrived, she called Bruce for an update and Lisa spoke to Joyce for a short time.

I'm just glad that Bruce was able to help them get through all the Canadian rules and laws.  and we were so very happy that no one had been hurt.  Thanks Bruce, you're a sweetheart.   heart

Kathy, Lisa, Dana and I did not return home until last night.  No fledges for us at the Sheraton, but the two big girls at Burlington look like they're ready to fledge at any moment.  Not much white left on them at all.  We couldn't find any Watchers while we were there.  Hated to leave.

I'll post pics and report as soon as I can.

Carol P.

Thanks everyone for your concerns about our ordeal in Canada.  

I feel bad that we missed out on our Saturday falcon watches, and poor MAK & Bruce having to hang out like that all day. Prior to coming to Toronto, Carol, Kathy, Lisa and Dana had signed up to to join in the Sheraton Centre watch on Saturday after seeing Stormin'.  MAK and I thought we would check out Etobicoke Sun Life, since we heard the 3 eyases at that site are ready to fledge too. We were glad we did because Carly was the only one on watch.  Unfortunately, our watch ended too soon.

Carly contacted Bruce Massey while I was exchanging information with the other driver. The driver of the other car, was kind enough to tell us about the Collision Center, but we waited for Bruce. Neither MAK, Carly, or myself had a cell phone. While waiting for Bruce, we went back to falcon watching with Carly. What a perfect thing to distract the mind for a few minutes. She gave us support, keeping us company, and took us inside the Sun Life building.  Credit card pay phones - pretty unique and we could call home. Wonderful man...Bruce! Stayed with us throughout the whole day. Bruce offered his CAA card to call a towing company. He made telephone connections for us to let our fellow falcon watchers know we were OK.

We sure did learn a lot about the way they handle accidents in Toronto.  Never heard of a Collision Center, but it is a convenient way to handle fender benders. There are 3 centers for the entire metropolitan area. The front half of the collision center handles all of the details, then the back half is like a police station.  The tow truck driver wasn't aware that I had a 4-wheel drive, so he couldn't tow it.  He didn't have a flat bed, and I'm not sure if he had dollies.  When I drove my car, it was definitely out of alignment.  My steering wheel had to be held to the left to get the car to go straight.  Immediately upon viewing my car, the policeman said "not drivable."

The CPF people are a fantastic group.  Mark was out-of-town, but he was in touch with Bruce to get status updates.  He even offered us a boat ride across the lake if we couldn't find any way to get home. LOL!

Thanks to our Canadian friends for all your help and support.
« Last Edit: 13-Jun-11, 09:15:08 PM by Carol P. » Logged

Peregrines know no borders.....
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 14-Jun-11, 12:00:49 PM »

Just to serve as a warning: when in Canada it will cost you big bucks to make calls on the pay phones. I made 4 calls home from Toronto and it cost $83.84 on my ATM card because my tracfone doesn't get a signal across the border.  scared blue

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 14-Jun-11, 12:34:07 PM »

OMG!!!  Shocked Outrageous!!!

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 14-Jun-11, 12:57:46 PM »

Yikes!  I don't know about cell phone cost from Canada-- not sure if it is higher- when there is a signal.  When I went a few years back, I couldn't get a signal on my phone - verizon

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 14-Jun-11, 01:06:28 PM »

Yikes!  I don't know about cell phone cost from Canada-- not sure if it is higher- when there is a signal.  When I went a few years back, I couldn't get a signal on my phone - verizon

Maybe that was a blessing jeanne!

Kathy O
Pipping

Like Count: 16

My buddy Jack!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 14-Jun-11, 01:43:28 PM »

Roaming charges for Verizon are very high in Canada.  I remember one trip to find Quest when she was at the Lennox Power Plant between texts abd calls I spent about $75 additional.  I have learned to be a little more cautious.

Kathy O
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: