THE FORUM

22-Oct-24, 02:44:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two falcons shot in Oakland, state game wardens looking for suspects  (Read 26639 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 27-Jun-11, 09:21:30 PM »

State game wardens are on the hunt for whomever shot and wounded two peregrine falcons in Oakland, and hope that a $1,000 reward ponied up by falcon lovers will help them catch the perpetrator soon.

State Fish and Game Warden Ryan McCoy said shooting falcons, which are protected under California law, is also a federal violation, under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

He's been on the lookout for the shooter since June, when two falcons -- mother and 3-month old daughter -- suffered pellet wounds over their wings and bodies as they perched on their home: The Fruitvale Avenue drawbridge in Oakland.

The female, who has been named Hiya, happens to be the mate of Hiko, who was born atop San Jose City Hall in 2008 and has been living in Oakland ever since, according to Glenn Stewart, Director Santa Cruz Predatory Bird Research Group Long Marine Laboratory University of California Santa Cruz and the biologist who tracks all the peregrine falcons living in the Bay Area.

Hiya was found shot near the corner of Laguna Avenue and Alida Street, not too far from the private Head Royce School and Mormon Temple, on June 1, according to McCoy. Her daughter, named Marina, was found shot nearby on Tiffin Road and Whittle Avenue on June 10.

Both falcons suffered broken ulnas, and are now recuperating at the Lindsay Wildlife Museum's hospital in Walnut Creek. They are in stable condition following orthopedic surgery, said Anneke Moresco, director of veterinary services at the wildlife center. The falcons are eating on their own, she said, which is a good sign, but it's always a concern when falcons' wings have been fractured. For peregrines, Moresco said strong wings are especially critical, because they hunt in the air.

Stewart has made it his personal mission to drum up reward money and help the state wardens. He's collected pledges from falcon lovers throughout the Bay Area, including many of the San Jose "Falconatics," who spend many hours tracking the lives of the falcons that live at City Hall. That $1,000 will be awarded to the person who gives information leading to the arrest and conviction of the shooter.

"I find it hard to believe that anyone would fire a weapon in a neighborhood, not to mention with intent to kill an animal like a peregrine falcon," Stewart said. "That it happened twice is beyond belief. Someone must have information.''

Anyone with information about who might have shot the peregrine falcons, should call 1-888-DFG-CalTIP (1-888-334-2258).   crying

This is Hiya   pray

mercury news

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27-Jun-11, 09:57:33 PM »

I can't even put into print what I am thinking snarl

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27-Jun-11, 10:01:47 PM »

Sweet girl! Bad human!  tickedoff

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-Jun-11, 06:52:38 AM »

WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- A $1,000 reward is being offered in the case of two wounded peregrine falcons. The Department of Fish and Game says someone in the Oakland hills opened fire on them with a pellet gun.

Veterinarians at the Lindsay Wildlife Museum Hospital in Walnut Creek are giving are treating Hiya, a peregrine falcon recovering from pellet gun wounds. Her daughter, Marina, was also shot. She's being treated there as well.

"They were both badly hurt, both of them have fractured wings, their bones have been broken by the shots, serious enough where they needed surgical fixation on the fractured wings," Lindsay Wildlife Museum Hospital spokesperson Susan Heckly said.

Both falcons were found on the ground 10 days apart in Oakland's Lincoln Heights neighborhood. Neighbors found out about it Monday from a flyer that was delivered door to door.

"Anger, absolute just horror," resident Hollis Matson said when asked about the incidents. "Who in my neighborhood could be doing something like this?"

The peregrine falcons have a famous connection. Hiya's mate was part of the family that got a lot of attention living on the roof of San Jose City Hall.

But beyond their celebrity connections, these birds, under state and a federal law, are not to be messed with, which is why Fish and Game wardens are following up every lead in hopes of finding the person responsible.

"Their population is always you know it's always on a balance beam, going up and down, up and down and they can become endangered again, really quickly," Fish and Game Warden William O'Brian said.

Veterinarians are guarded about the falcons' prognosis. They say the good news is that they are healing and eating on their own.

KGO TV

Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-Jun-11, 08:25:14 AM »

here is the link to the story on care2 http://www.care2.com/causes/two-peregrine-falcons-shot-in-california.html

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-Jun-11, 08:34:28 AM »

crying

-John Burroughs
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 268

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30-Jun-11, 11:23:24 AM »

If you go to Google Maps and find Laguna Avenue and Alida Street, and Tiffin Road and Whittle Avenue in Oakland, CA, you will see that 1) the locations are close, and 2) they are both in a residential area likely to have lots of kids running around and people working on rooftops.  In other words, not a good place to discharge a shotgun.  There could be a clear danger here to the public at large.

Paul
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01-Jul-11, 07:23:56 AM »

Quotable Quotes In Alameda: Peregrine Falcons Shot (Like Paul said)

"I find it hard to believe that anyone would fire a weapon in a neighborhood, not to mention with intent to kill an animal like a peregrine falcon. That it happened twice is beyond belief. Someone [in the community] must have information."
--

Glenn Stewart, director of Santa Cruz Predatory Bird Research Group at Long Marine Laboratory, as quoted in an San Jose Mercury News article about two falcons who had been living on the Fruitvale Bridge, but were shot several weeks ago. There is a $1000.00 reward for information about who might have shot the birds. Call 1-888-DFG-CalTIP (1-888-334-2258) if you have a tip.

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01-Jul-11, 07:29:40 AM »

Oh my goodness! As I posted earlier, that is just about enough sadness for the season! WHAT are people thinking who do this... or not!
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 01-Jul-11, 07:34:54 AM »

WHAT are people thinking who do this... or not!

They are ignorant. We must educate them. If that doesn't work, then we must educate them.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01-Jul-11, 11:30:22 AM »

WHAT are people thinking who do this... or not!

They are ignorant. We must educate them. If that doesn't work, then we must educate them.

yes

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-Aug-11, 07:33:45 PM »

8/22/2011 update on Haya & Marina (Hiko's mate & offspring):

Peregrine falcon update: This past week was a very big week for both Haya and Marina. We are very happy to report that after spending two weeks in a large outdoor aviary, Marina's flight improved to the point where she could be transferred to a falconer. The falconer will continue her rehabilitation and will work with her to help rebuild her strength and flight abilities.

Hospital staff radiographed Haya again last week and we are pleased to see that the infection in her wing had healed. Her wing wrap was removed and she was finally able to stretch both her wings in a small aviary. After one week, hospital staff took her to our large aviary to see if she could fly. After looking around for several minutes, Haya cautiously flew across the length of the aviary! It has been almost two and a half months since she was last able to fly. We put her back in her small aviary so she can continue to stretch without overworking her newly-healed wing. Though both birds made great leaps forward in their rehabilitation, they still have a long way to go. We are all hopeful for their recovery and we thank everyone for your continued support.

Here is a wonderful blog by the falconer taking care of Marina:

http://stewartfalcon.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/marina/

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24-Aug-11, 07:54:45 PM »

good news

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24-Aug-11, 08:35:22 PM »

Thanks Kris, I was waiting for an update to appear!!  clap

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004