THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 04:19:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Osprey at Work  (Read 5745 times)
valhalla
« on: 08-Aug-11, 05:31:24 AM »

Great video - watch twice!   2thumbsup

http://www.arkive.org/osprey/pandion-haliaetus/video-00.html
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08-Aug-11, 06:33:24 AM »

WOW!!!! That was insane! I can't believe the size fish it was grabbing. Loved the part where it went right under water, came up and was shaking off while flying away. Thanks.   clap

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-Aug-11, 06:44:54 AM »

http://www.arkive.org/osprey/pandion-haliaetus/video-09b.html I like this one too, listen to the sounds the babies make. I never knew this.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-Aug-11, 06:50:35 AM »

http://www.arkive.org/suriname-toad/pipa-pipa/video-00.html  OH and EW!! How does that happen? This gave me the heebs!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-Aug-11, 07:26:12 AM »

WOW!!!! That was insane! I can't believe the size fish it was grabbing. Loved the part where it went right under water, came up and was shaking off while flying away. Thanks.   clap

yes You said it Donna! That video was most excellent and I'll be watching it more than twice!!! Thank you so much for sharing Janet!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-Aug-11, 07:33:40 AM »

Aaaaaarrrrrrrgh! STILL won't let me in! I will restart...
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-Aug-11, 10:54:41 AM »

Stunning videos!  notworthy

Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 08-Aug-11, 07:30:51 PM »

It's entirely possible that I'm losing my mind, but didn't Paul post a video some years back of an Osprey with a fish so big it was struggling to get airborne a second time?    Presumably it had made it from the water to shore initially.
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-Aug-11, 08:19:53 PM »

It's entirely possible that I'm losing my mind, but didn't Paul post a video some years back of an Osprey with a fish so big it was struggling to get airborne a second time?    Presumably it had made it from the water to shore initially.
My wife, Mary, took that (in 2004, as I recall). We are vacationing on Sandy Island, in Lake Winnipesauke, and I am now sitting very close to where it happened..  The Osprey had caught a very large bass, at least five pounds.  It was making its way across the island in a series of twenty foot flights.  It was too late in the season to have chicks to feed, so I assume it was looking for a safe place to eat the fish.

Paul
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10-Aug-11, 09:48:57 PM »

Wow is right!  That is such incredible footage.  Love the mid-air roust.  Thanks Janet!

Love Osprey!  So beautiful!

Peregrines know no borders.....
valhalla
« Reply #10 on: 11-Aug-11, 05:09:15 AM »

The Osprey had caught a very large bass, at least five pounds.  It was making its way across the island in a series of twenty foot flights.  It was too late in the season to have chicks to feed, so I assume it was looking for a safe place to eat the fish.

Paul

The Osprey has a very interesting talon set-up, which essentially have forward and aft talons that close in (sort of like clasping your hands).  This allows the Osprey to both catch the fish and subsequently turn and point the fish forward for aerodynamics.  Sometimes this talon arrangement does not work in the Osprey's favor - especially with very large fish that can drag/hold the Osprey down and prevent the bird from leaving the water.  Osprey have drowned because the talons really snagged these big fish and the fish was too heavy.  Paul's fish could have won, but didn't.  clap
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: