THE FORUM

24-Oct-24, 02:25:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Falcon Watching Boring? :-)  (Read 18312 times)
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 268

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13-Aug-11, 08:54:13 AM »

I find myself slipping into the falcons' rhythm, relaxing when the relax, active when they are active. However, I'll reach for my water bottle or start watching a Great Blue Heron, and that's when the falcons go back into action! Often, when I look back, I'll find either no falcons or more falcons.  It all goes to show that the falcons are much better at watching me then I am at watching them.  If one wants to enter the world of the Peregrine Falcon, one must imitate their relaxed alertness!

Paul
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13-Aug-11, 09:09:11 AM »

You have to watch them cuz if you blink, they're gone!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13-Aug-11, 05:40:07 PM »

I totally agree Paul.  clap

Kaver was the King of Stealth.  He could disappear in the blink of an eye!  Poof!  Gone!  We all suspected that he had his very own Scotty somewhere.   lol

I find myself slipping into the falcons' rhythm, relaxing when the relax, active when they are active. However, I'll reach for my water bottle or start watching a Great Blue Heron, and that's when the falcons go back into action! Often, when I look back, I'll find either no falcons or more falcons.  It all goes to show that the falcons are much better at watching me then I am at watching them.  If one wants to enter the world of the Peregrine Falcon, one must imitate their relaxed alertness!

Paul

Peregrines know no borders.....
BIGFRANK
« Reply #18 on: 21-Feb-12, 10:35:49 AM »

Boring?? I just found this posting and had to add. For me a good day of fledge watch is boring..but thats a good thing!! I want to report noone tried to fly and didnt do well, I want to see no problems, I want to see everyone waiting till they are of proper age to make their best attempt to fly. Early on I love boring! Now, all that other stuff, yep seen it all too here in Toronto. Have persevered through early stage tornadic activity, Marion saw funnel clouds at her site and did vow if they got closer to leave. They didnt! Big hail but no tornado. Seen movies shot,security for G-20 meetings with snipers on rooftops! One of my first watches ever was questioned by police! Hey big ugly guy with binoculars looking at a condo?? Id question me too! We talk to hundreds of people on the streets about the birds. I see someone suggested credentials or at the very least letting police know you are there. At CPF we have our own ID. We give lists to property managers and almost always talk to local businesses and folks where we are going to be running around watching from in alleys or on street corners. We also often fax local police stations with the same info and about what we are doing in the area and tell them all that our staff/volunteers will produce said ID to let them know who we are. It really does help. As anyone who has dealt with this knows,just be nice and patient and explain yourself. Cops are good people and understand. One of our sites the spot we watch from is right outside the police station. As lead, I took in our materials for them to read, left a video and when our first fledgling came to ground, I took her inside to meet them. They are very supportive and even very interested. They offered their help if we needed anything,including access to areas we might need. As they are there 24/7 they are keeping their eyes peeled at all times for anything out of the ordinary for us too!
 Sometimes boring is good.
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21-Feb-12, 10:38:13 AM »

Super post, Frank.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile