THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 07:54:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mergansers  (Read 2780 times)
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« on: 12-Aug-11, 08:27:36 PM »

No peregrines to watch here on Sandy Island, in Lake Winnipesaukee, so I have been getting by with loons and mergansers.  I love to watch and listen to the loons, especially when going to sleep at light, but the resident  flock of nine Common Mergansers provides top notch entertainment several times a day.  They do everything in a tight group, staying much closer together than the Mallards.  They are diving ducks with serrated bills for catching fish, and are constantly disappearing below the surface and reappearing some distance away.  Here they are, just hanging out on their favorite rock.

Paul
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12-Aug-11, 08:59:05 PM »

Nice Paul and thanks. I remember your Loon videos. They do sound so eerie at night but in a good way!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-Aug-11, 09:10:02 PM »

No peregrines to watch here on Sandy Island, in Lake Winnipesaukee, so I have been getting by with loons and mergansers.  I love to watch and listen to the loons, especially when going to sleep at light, but the resident  flock of nine Common Mergansers provides top notch entertainment several times a day.  They do everything in a tight group, staying much closer together than the Mallards.  They are diving ducks with serrated bills for catching fish, and are constantly disappearing below the surface and reappearing some distance away.  Here they are, just hanging out on their favorite rock.

Paul

Pretty birds, Paul!  When I was young, every year I would go with my grandparents on a 2-week vacation to Canada. I loved, even as a kid, the sounds of the loons and watching them out on the lake. Good memories.
« Last Edit: 13-Aug-11, 10:44:04 AM by Kris G. » Logged

valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 13-Aug-11, 08:16:44 AM »

No peregrines to watch here on Sandy Island, in Lake Winnipesaukee, so I have been getting by with loons and mergansers.  I love to watch and listen to the loons, especially when going to sleep at light, but the resident  flock of nine Common Mergansers provides top notch entertainment several times a day.  They do everything in a tight group, staying much closer together than the Mallards.  They are diving ducks with serrated bills for catching fish, and are constantly disappearing below the surface and reappearing some distance away.  Here they are, just hanging out on their favorite rock.

Paul

Thanks!  I miss these guys.  I hope they visit Smith Mountain Lake, VA!
Lynne in New Hampshire
Tiercel

Like Count: 35

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-Aug-11, 06:45:56 PM »

Paul

Thanks!  I miss these guys.  I hope they visit Smith Mountain Lake, VA!

You sure had a great weather week up here Paul!!

Lynne in New Hampshire
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 13-Aug-11, 09:16:27 PM »

You take the best vacations.  I have to post my merganser in the waves picture.  Yes, they are entertaining.  And I have a loon here, too.  Guess I'm on vacation every day now.

Can't wait for the rest of the pics.

Smiley)
« Last Edit: 14-Aug-11, 08:16:53 AM by Bonnie » Logged

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: