THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 01:39:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wildlife Center of Virginia in the news  (Read 39922 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16-May-12, 07:56:28 PM »

On Wildlife Center of Virginia's FB page today!

Success! Wildlife Center President Ed Clark reported in from the field earlier today -- he said Bald Eagle NX was successfully released at the Rapphannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge at 12:10 p.m. She flew about 75 yards to a tall tree, took in her surroundings for about five minutes, and then flew off through the woods, over an estuary, and into the forest! She did "everything she's supposed to do!"

Oh YAY for her, hope she does well this time! Thanks Kris  clap

Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17-May-12, 04:52:05 AM »

Success! Wildlife Center President Ed Clark reported in from the field earlier today -- he said Bald Eagle NX was successfully released at the Rapphannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge at 12:10 p.m. She flew about 75 yards to a tall tree, took in her surroundings for about five minutes, and then flew off through the woods, over an estuary, and into the forest! She did "everything she's supposed to do!"
good news

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17-May-12, 08:04:06 AM »

thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17-May-12, 12:33:24 PM »

Video of NX's release yesterday!

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wav4J_VSEOo#ws

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17-May-12, 01:56:51 PM »

WOW, NX was determined to go and made it known. Great video, thanks Kris

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18-May-12, 08:14:44 AM »

That was cool! Thanks Kris for sharing!  wave

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08-Jun-12, 06:37:26 AM »

http://www.nbc29.com/story/18723079/wildlife-center-of-virginia-releases-three-raptors

Wildlife Center of Virginia Releases Three Raptors

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10-Jun-12, 05:53:25 PM »

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27-Aug-12, 01:32:47 PM »

PATIENT: Barred Owl, #12-0441

LOCATION OF RESCUE: Halifax County, VA

CONDITION: Healthy Orphan

ADMISSION DATE: April 19, 2012

PROGNOSIS: Good

In April 2012, a young Barred Owl was found on the ground in Halifax County, Virginia.  It was unable to be returned to the nest, and was taken to a permitted rehabilitator.  After re-hydrating and feeding the young bird, the rehabilitator transferred the owl to the Wildlife Center.

The Barred Owl was admitted as patient #12-0441. It was moved outside with a non-releasable Barred Owl that was used as a temporary surrogate [and later placed out-of-state]. In early June, it was joined by Maryland Barred Owl #12-1210.  Center rehabilitators began exercising both of the young owls at the end of June.  In early August, the owl was moved back to a smaller enclosure when several other raptors [that were closer to release] needed to utilize the Barred Owl’s flight pen.

On August 24, the Barred Owl was moved back to a flight pen, to resume its exercise schedule.  Once the owl is back in flight condition, the rehabilitation staff will begin live prey testing. The owl will need to pass five days of “mouse school” successfully. Once live prey testing is complete, and the owl receives a final health-check from the veterinary team, the owl will be returned to Halifax County for release.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29-Aug-12, 10:41:44 AM »

Un-sticking Snakes
On August 28, nine snakes were admitted to the Wildlife Center of Virginia — at the same time!  Eight Northern Ring-necked Snakes and one Eastern Milksnake were admitted together on a single glue trap that had been placed at a home in Nelson County on August 27.  In less than 24 hours, the nine snakes became entrapped in the sticky glue.  The homeowner immediately brought them to the Wildlife Center when he found them.

Dr. Rich Sim, the Center’s veterinary fellow, and Leigh-Ann Horne, the Center’s veterinary technician, began carefully working on the snake extraction right away.  At first Dr. Rich and Leigh-Ann used mineral oil to begin to break the snakes’ contact with the glue.  After started to loosen the snakes, Dr. Rich switched to using Goo Gone, a non-toxic, non-irritating adhesive remover.  Within 10 minutes, the team was able to safely free all nine snakes from the glue trap.

The nine snakes were carefully wiped off after the extraction and Dr. Rich gave them a clean bill of health.  Since they were discovered quickly and not entrapped for a lengthy period of time, all snakes were cleared for release.  Dr. Rich released them at the end of the day back in Nelson County.  He reports that the release went well, and all quickly wiggled away!

scared blue

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29-Aug-12, 04:41:21 PM »

snake2 Either those are very little snakes or that's one big glue trap!   snake  gum

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18-Sep-12, 06:42:47 PM »

Some happenings at the Center

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2012/07/egg-watch-2012/ Egg watch: Turtles

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2012/08/egg-hatch-2012/ Egg hatch

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2012/09/coopers-hawk-12-1263/ Cooper's Hawk

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2012/09/eastern-ratsnake-12-2144/ Eastern Rat snake

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2012/08/a-familiar-face-vb-pefa/ Pefa

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2012/08/red-fox-surgery/ Red Fox

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2012/06/barn-owl-strikes-silo/  Barn Owl

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2012/06/norfolk-peregrine-falcon-chick/ Falcon chick

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 18-Sep-12, 07:33:42 PM »

While I am appalled at the fate of the young falcon, I can totally relate after learning about the difficulties our Jersey City bird last year faced.   I don't believe Jack has even flown at this time, a year and a half later.  He could not get the nutrients he needed in te first eight days of his life.    His feather development is totally off. 

Falcons need to fly free.  Although Jack had many people early in his life and he is bonded to humans. 

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18-Sep-12, 08:59:17 PM »

Thanks Donna!  wave

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03-Oct-12, 11:47:34 AM »

Admission Date:
October 1, 2012
Location of Rescue:
Fairfax County, Virginia
Cause of Admission / Condition:
Possible gunshot wound   Sad
Prognosis:
Guarded
Patient Status:
Current Patient

On September 30, a mature Bald Eagle was found in a river in Fairfax County, Virginia.  The eagle was retrieved from the river and taken to a permitted raptor rehabilitator in Fairfax.  On the night of October 1, the eagle was transported to the Wildlife Center of Virginia.

Dr. Rich and several veterinary students examined the eagle when it arrived at 9:00 p.m., and found the eagle to be bright and alert.  The eagle’s right wing was swollen at the patagium – the leading edge of the right wing.  Dr. Rich noted that the wing seemed painful to the eagle as he examined it, and it also had a decreased range of motion.  Blood was drawn for an emergency panel and a lead test; results of the lead test indicated that the eagle was “subclinical” for lead – meaning a small amount of lead was in the eagle’s system, though at this level, treatment was not needed.  The eagle was started on a course of anti-inflammatories and fluids.

The following morning, Dr. Rich anesthetized the Bald Eagle so that a set of radiographs could be taken for further assessment.  Radiographs revealed an old, malaligned fracture of the eagle’s left leg.  The x-rays also revealed several metal fragments around the fracture site, leading Dr. Rich to believe that the fracture may have been caused by a gunshot. Judging by the callus over the fracture site, Dr. Rich estimates the injury to be about two weeks old.

The eagle was returned to a crate in the Center’s holding room for observation after it recovered from anesthesia.  While the eagle was standing when it was admitted on October 1, it was laying down in its enclosure the following morning prior to radiographs.  Dr. Rich wanted to observe the eagle’s use of its left foot to determine if the injury was treatable.

On the afternoon of October 2, the Bald Eagle was observed standing in its enclosure, and the bird was able to perch with its left foot – though function is definitely reduced.  Dr. Rich will consult with Dr. Dave, the Center’s veterinary director, on Thursday to determine the best course of action.  A surgical repair may be possible, though permanent nerve damage could compromise the eagle’s releasability.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: