THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 03:42:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wildlife Center of Virginia in the news  (Read 39962 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03-Oct-12, 12:58:48 PM »

Read this on FB this AM-doesn't sound good but hope it makes it.  Sad

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03-Oct-12, 07:46:47 PM »

what lame brain would shoot at an Eagle. makes me sooooooo angry  Angry
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03-Oct-12, 08:50:21 PM »

This piece of....

A Lebanese Teacher is proud to abuse 2 birds of prey and he always post such photos on his facebook .

while the fact is that birds of prey are not edible. and its illegal to hunt them. this is an owl and an eagle and killing them is a big loss .

why no one can punish him and all the others who abuse animals ?

From fb

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03-Oct-12, 09:33:52 PM »

This piece of....

A Lebanese Teacher is proud to abuse 2 birds of prey and he always post such photos on his facebook .

while the fact is that birds of prey are not edible. and its illegal to hunt them. this is an owl and an eagle and killing them is a big loss .

From fb

no nono thumbsdown Angry tickedoff viking grumble

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04-Oct-12, 06:12:10 PM »

This piece of....

From fb

no nono thumbsdown Angry tickedoff viking grumble
snarl
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09-Oct-12, 02:08:41 PM »

Big one!

Admission Date:
October 7, 2012
Location of Rescue:
King and Queen County
Cause of Admission / Condition:
Unknown
Prognosis:
Fair
Patient Status:
Current Patient

On October 5, an animal control officer rescued a mature Bald Eagle at the King and Queen County landfill.  The eagle was taken to a permitted rehabilitator for an initial examination and radiographs, and then was transported to the Wildlife Center on October 7.

Upon admission, the eagle was quiet, but was standing in its transport crate.  Dr. Dana, the Center’s veterinary intern, examined the bird, but couldn’t find any significant injuries.  Blood was drawn for an emergency panel and a lead test.  Lead results measured at 0.13 ppm – a level that is considered “subclinical” and does not require treatment.  Dr. Dana also took a set of radiographs, but did not see any injuries.  Dr. Dana did note what appeared to be two pieces of metal in the eagle’s stomach.  Because the eagle’s lead level was low, and it was not exhibiting any neurological symptoms, Dr. Dana does not believe this should be an issue for the eagle.  Weighing in at 4.59 kgs, it’s likely that this eagle is a female.

Because a bacterial or viral infection could not be ruled out, Dr. Dana started the eagle on a course of antibiotics, as well as subcutaneous fluids.  The eagle was placed in the Center’s holding room for overnight observation.  On October 8, the Bald Eagle was bright and alert – and was bouncing around in its enclosure.  The veterinary team decided to move the eagle outside to a large flight pen – A1 – for further observation.

When the eagle was placed in the flight pen, the bird flew the length of the flight pen two times before landing on the ground.  While the eagle can get lift, it appeared to tire very easily.  The staff will continue to monitor the bird – with the assistance of a new Axis PTZ [pan-tilt-zoom] cam in A1.  At this point, the cam is only available for internal observation, and is not available for streaming through the Center’s website – yet!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09-Oct-12, 02:18:07 PM »

Awesome close up of an awesome bird! Thanks D!  wave

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11-Oct-12, 09:54:20 AM »

Updates on Eagle with old gunshot wound:

October 10, 2012
Dr. Rich took Bald Eagle #12-2418 to surgery on Wednesday, October 10.  After veterinary technician Leigh-Ann and several veterinary externship students anesthetized and prepped the eagle for surgery, Dr. Rich began the long, difficult task of re-breaking and resetting the eagle’s leg.

Dr. Rich spent some time prior to surgery taking measurements of the healing fracture to determine the best place to make the break.  After making a long incision in the eagle’s leg, Dr. Rich used a sagittal saw connected to a pneumatic drill to re-fracture the eagle’s leg (tibiotarsus). 

Once the break was made, Dr. Rich inserted a long metal intramedullary (IM) pin through the area around the eagle’s knee, down the length of the fractured bone to hold the two pieces in place.  The incision in the eagle’s leg was then sutured closed and an external fixator system – consisting of two small metal pins – was put in place to help stabilize the IM pin.  Dr. Rich and team then moved the eagle to the Center’s radiology room to take a quick radiograph to check pin placement.

Dr. Rich was not pleased with what he saw – the IM pin was not in the best place to secure the two pieces of fractured bone.  Dr. Rich and team returned to surgery to re-place the pins.  As of just after 5:00 p.m., Dr. Rich and team were still in surgery.  By 6:00 p.m., everything was in place and the team took another set of radiographs.  Dr. Rich was much happier this time around -- everything looked to be in a good position.  The team began to recover the eagle from anesthesia.

October 11, 2012
Dr. Rich and team placed the eagle in an enclosure in the Center’s holding room at about 7:00 p.m. on the evening of October 10.  The eagle recovered from anesthesia and the team placed several towels in a “donut” shape to help support the bird as it laid down.

On the morning of October 11, Dr. Rich found the eagle to still be laying in the donut – but was awake and alert!  The eagle was picked up for a course of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, and pain medications; the team also performed a check of the pin sites.  While the soft tissue on the eagle’s injured leg is quite swollen, the pin sites look good.  Dr. Rich also notes that the eagle is able to clench its talons on its injured foot.

While the eagle is still in guarded condition, Dr. Rich was pleased to see his patient this morning.

During surgery

Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11-Oct-12, 10:11:01 AM »

good news

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11-Oct-12, 01:25:45 PM »

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22-Oct-12, 04:16:39 PM »

http://wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/current-patients/northern-saw-whet-owl-12-2481 newest addition, Saw-Whet Owl

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 22-Oct-12, 09:39:17 PM »

My favorite owl - the little cuties!  wub2

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 22-Oct-12, 10:03:19 PM »

Mine too, MAK!

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23-Oct-12, 12:27:03 PM »

me three, that is why I had one as my avatar before I went for Unity.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13-Nov-12, 07:06:02 PM »

Admission Date:
November 13, 2012
Location of Rescue:
Essex County, Virginia
Cause of Admission / Condition:
Likely hit by vehicle
Prognosis:
Poor
Patient Status:
Current Patient

On November 12, a Department of Game and Inland Fisheries officer picked up a mature Bald Eagle by the side of the road in Mount Landing, Virginia.  The eagle was taken to a local permitted rehabilitator; the eagle was transported to the Wildlife Center the following day.

Dr. Rich, vet student Alicia, and diagnostic intern Julia examined the large eagle when it arrived.  Likely a female, the eagle was not able to stand, but did have use of her feet.  The team performed blood work and took a set of radiographs to see if they were able to determine why the eagle couldn’t stand.  On radiographs, Dr. Rich noted an area of concern on the eagle’s spine – there was enough trauma to one area that led Dr. Rich to believe that the eagle may have a spinal fracture.

The eagle was given fluids, anti-inflammatories, and pain medications and was placed in the Center’s oxygen chamber for the evening.  The staff will closely monitor the eagle over the next few days.   Sad

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: