THE FORUM

26-Apr-24, 08:03:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carterville couple rescue hummingbird trapped in spider's web ILL  (Read 3764 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 20-Sep-11, 07:21:38 AM »

CARTERVILLE, Ill. — What started as an opportunity to photograph a spider instead turned into a bird rescue mission for a local couple.

George Stone of Carterville was watering a flower garden in his backyard when he spotted a large garden spider near one of his many hummingbird feeders.

Hours later, however, Stone's wife, Janet, made a disheartening discovery, as she found a hummingbird trapped in the spider's web.

Fearing the worst, the couple quickly and carefully removed the bird from the several-foot-wide web, only to find it was still alive - although barely.

"She must have used all her energy flapping her wings for an hour or two," George Stone said. "When I first held her, she couldn't even move. ... I didn't know if she would ever fly again."

Avid birders and gardeners, the retired couple has lived in its Carterville home for 20-plus years and is no strangers to having birds in their yard.

With several feeders scattered throughout the backyard, George Stone said it's not uncommon to spot 25 or so bird varieties on any given day. Also an avid photographer, George Stone documents many of those birds - including the one they had to rescue.

"I've rescued about four or five hummingbirds," George Stone said, "but I'd never seen one trapped in a web like that before."

After discovering the bird was still alive, the couple brought the bird inside and attempted to remove and clean off as much of the web as possible. They then fed it a bottle cap-full of a sugar-water mixture, which the bird eagerly lapped up.

About a half-hour later, they brought the bird outside to see if it could fly away, with no luck. After another half-hour, the couple tried again, but the bird could only make it a few inches before stopping.

Eventually, after a third attempt at feeding the bird and giving it time to rest, the couple - and bird - finally had their breakthrough.

"I kept saying, 'You can make it,' and she finally looked at me and flew away," George Stone said. "It was quite a moment."

A great rescue!  The Republic

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 20-Sep-11, 07:41:33 AM »

clap
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-Sep-11, 09:26:48 AM »

Happyend for this hummingbird! 2thumbsup

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-Sep-11, 01:19:46 PM »

thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
rushhen06
Fledgling

Like Count: 17

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-Sep-11, 04:49:02 PM »

2thumbsup
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-Sep-11, 05:04:44 PM »

Would that Spider have eaten the Hummer? Was that an Orb spider? Poor Hummer, he tried so hard to free it's self. A happy ending.

annieinelkhart
Juvie

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21-Sep-11, 07:43:16 AM »

I have a LARGE one of those and it is scary looking! scared blue  I would bet that after the hummingbird died the spider would then wrap it in tight web and eat on it for a while!  crying  I sure am happy those wonderful people did what they did to save the little one!  clap I think someone told me that these are the female arigope.  Not sure on that spelling.

EVERY DAY I THANK OUR TROOPS FOR ALL THEY DO FOR US!  IT IS THE LEAST I CAN DO!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-Sep-11, 07:47:33 AM »

I have a LARGE one of those and it is scary looking! scared blue  I would bet that after the hummingbird died the spider would then wrap it in tight web and eat on it for a while!  crying  I sure am happy those wonderful people did what they did to save the little one!  clap I think someone told me that these are the female arigope.  Not sure on that spelling.

That's exactly what it is Annie, an Argiope!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21-Sep-11, 01:33:15 PM »

I have a LARGE one of those and it is scary looking! scared blue  I would bet that after the hummingbird died the spider would then wrap it in tight web and eat on it for a while!  crying  I sure am happy those wonderful people did what they did to save the little one!  clap I think someone told me that these are the female arigope.  Not sure on that spelling.

That's exactly what it is Annie, an Argiope!

A very impressive looking spider!  spider   helphummer

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: