THE FORUM

25-Apr-24, 08:14:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fall Equinox  (Read 2598 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 23-Sep-11, 06:20:31 AM »

An equinox occurs twice a year, when the tilt of the Earth's axis is inclined neither away from nor towards the Sun, the center of the Sun being in the same plane as the Earth's equator. The term equinox can also be used in a broader sense, meaning the date when such a passage happens. The name "equinox" is derived from the Latin aequus (equal) and nox (night), because around the equinox, the night and day have approximately equal length.

At an equinox, the Sun is at one of two opposite points on the celestial sphere where the celestial equator (i.e. declination 0) and ecliptic intersect. These points of intersection are called equinoctial points: classically, the vernal point and the autumnal point. By extension, the term equinox may denote an equinoctial point.

An equinox happens each year at two specific moments in time (rather than two whole days), when there is a location (the subsolar point) on the Earth's equator, where the center of the Sun can be observed to be vertically overhead, occurring around March 20/21 and September 22/23 each year.

HAPPY FALL EVERYONE!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 23-Sep-11, 11:40:49 AM »

the_wave autumn yippee

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
imkakkingmad1
Eyas

Like Count: 15

aka Helen P.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-Sep-11, 09:53:42 PM »

Had a nice, sunny walk this afternoon and noticed some of the trees are starting to get a tinge of color on their leaves. The air was crisp too - I love this time of year. autumn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: