THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 08:21:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 46   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Peregrine cam in Australia  (Read 294087 times)
PatriciaRose
Juvie

Like Count: 23

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: 10-Oct-14, 03:52:22 PM »

Feeding time!

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.”
~~Edwin Markham
PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: 10-Oct-14, 04:19:05 PM »

All done! Poor Swift has some feathers stuck to her beak! silly

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.”
~~Edwin Markham
PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: 11-Oct-14, 06:02:45 PM »

Still waitin' on that second fluffball!  whistle

~~Edwin Markham
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: 11-Oct-14, 06:43:49 PM »

Still waitin' on that second fluffball!  whistle

Yep!  I wish there was a better camera angle so we could see if the egg has any pips. Hatchling #1 seems to be doing just great, but he or she needs a playmate.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: 11-Oct-14, 07:24:31 PM »

I think it's just one big baby as all I see is one this morning so far but I can't see too far under her.

Wow, I thought there were 2 under her wing! Sorry!  Sad 1 is better than none!!

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: 12-Oct-14, 05:09:33 PM »

Feeding time again!  This baby is definitely well fed.  I think Swift and Beau may think the remaining egg isn't viable.  They are no longer fully incubating it all of the time.  Sometimes they are just sheltering it and the eyas with their wings. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: 12-Oct-14, 10:09:18 PM »

Eyas cuddles with egg.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: 13-Oct-14, 08:13:14 AM »

Updates from the website:

FalconCam camera issues
Published 13 October, 2014 | By Scott Banks
Apologies to all about the problems with the cameras at the moment. Working from distantly offsite it appears the big storm that’s passed through Orange may have taken out power supply to the cameras and/or campus and we won’t be able to confirm until later on this evening. Not the best time to get a power outage, but it’s in the lap of the gods. As long as Swift and the little’n are still OK. Some of the “old-timers” around these parts remember the direct lightning hit on the tower a couple of days before our first observed chick, Migii, hatched against all the natural odds. Migii went on to be quite a star and taught us plenty about peregrine falcons, no doubt defying many more lightning near misses along the way!

We’ll be back up as soon as we can ascertain the issues, or can find someone to blame :-) ……..

UPDATE: we may well be out for the next 10-12 hours (8-10am AEST) or so until we can ascertain the extent of the power outage across campus. We’ll have IT staff to help re-connect around that time and hope that no equipment has been damaged in the storm. Nervous times…..

Aspro as a possible name
Published 13 October, 2014 | By Cilla Kinross
The question was raised about the meaning of ‘Aspro’ – yes, you are right, it is a brand of Aspirin, commonly used to relieve headache pain.  The reason it was suggested was because I thought it would be a good idea to have a name that denoted the ‘bringing of relief’.  It could also mean Associate Professor (or something in contract bridge, I believe).   I rather like it!

Male attention
11_10_2014 Beau with chick 2Beau was observed attending to our youngster over the weekend, but he was not really feeding it and I think was quite relieved when Swift appeared with one of our native parrots (bad girl, she’s supposed to stick to ferals…) for lunch.

In fact she has been doing quite  a bit of hunting herself.   Perhaps he’s not keeping up his end.

2nd egg viability
Most peregrines hatch their eggs synchronously within 48 hours, so I don’t like the chances of this egg.  Thanks to those who showed concern.

Peregrine eggs often fail to hatch, more often than with other raptors.   Can sometimes be related to humidity.  They often leave the eggs exposed at dawn for this reason ie to let them be exposed to dew.

Unfortunately we had a major thunderstorm this afternoon, and I’ve lost the connection to the server, so am not completely up-to-date, but hopefully it will be reset tomorrow.

Inside Week 1 for the first chick
Published 13 October, 2014 | By Scott Banks
The first chick for this 2014 season is coming along and appears to be very healthy. Swift and Beau were very quickly in to a feeding pattern and numerous items have been offered from the ‘a la bird carte’ menu so far. Unfortunately the 2nd egg is taking its time to hatch and prospects aren’t that great, but Swift is still taking great care with the egg. Indeed there was a large time gap between layings this year so there’s still hope.

Cilla has been gathering pics and video clips from the surveillance server and these will be available later this week.

Thanks to everyone for their ongoing support. More fun and frivolity to come over the next few weeks, it seems!

PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: 13-Oct-14, 03:54:22 PM »

Hope they get it up running soon! Hey maybe we will be surprised with the 2nd egg hatching!  I agree, the little eyas could use a buddy! baby

~~Edwin Markham
PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: 14-Oct-14, 12:00:12 AM »

Now they say it could be til the end of the week for the web feed to be up and running....and I was getting mighty attached to those birds  aaarggh

~~Edwin Markham
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: 14-Oct-14, 08:17:44 AM »

Oh carp!  Me too!   thumbsdown

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: 15-Oct-14, 12:18:37 PM »

We’ve had some good people on campus running some tests for us to try and confirm what equipment is working and what’s not (not being back in the country myself just yet). We now know the cameras are fine, and both servers are up and running, but we’ve narrowed the connectivity issue down to a possible network switch configuration problem that has yet to be rectified i.e. the streams aren’t reaching the outside world. CSU’s DIT staff have been notified of the issues. Apologies to all for the terrible timing of this downtime. Worst case scenario is that we may be affected through until later this week. Rest assured that the peregrines are quite OK after the storm.

As we hear of progress I’ll let you know…

Today's update with cute pic of Aspro!

http://falconcamproject.org/

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: 15-Oct-14, 12:27:40 PM »

Awww...open wide, sweetie!  Thanks, Kris. 

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: 15-Oct-14, 02:14:41 PM »

Cutie for sure!  knifeFork

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: 16-Oct-14, 07:14:39 PM »

Can't wait for the cameras to be online again! Guess little Aspro is going to be an only child...ah well, glad it's a healthy eyas  happy

~~Edwin Markham
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 46   Go Up
Print
Jump to: