THE FORUM

25-Apr-24, 06:06:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The GVAS Big Year - 2012 - The Rochester Falcon Watcher's Team  (Read 6329 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« on: 13-Jan-12, 06:50:06 PM »

The GVAS Monroe County (NY) Big Year!  The Rochester Falcon Watcher's Team

Lisa McK informed a few of us that the GVAS board members were going to team up for their Big Year.  When she mentioned it, we thought awesome!  The Rochester Falcon Watchers would form their own team for the GVAS Monroe County Big Year.  We'd supply a little competition to the GVAS team.  This would be a lot of fun.

So, what IS a Big Year you ask?  It's tracking all the different birds you see in a year.  If you saw the recent movie "The Big Year", you know that it can get really crazy.  Some birders literally go NUTS trying to find that elusive bird!  Our Big Year will be much calmer (I think) and contained in a much smaller location, Monroe County, NY, not the whole U.S.

Local Falcon Watchers, this is the place to post what birds you see on your travels.  But, remember, they must be birds seen within Monroe County.  So no counting that Short-ear Owl you saw in Avon, Kathy and Joyce.  Or that Ivory-billed Woodpecker you saw down in Arkansas, MAK.  Or the Kiwi seen in New Zealand.  You get the idea!  You also can't count the feathery babies that live with you.  So, no, Justice and Lucky don't count.  But if you happen to see a Cockatiel out in the wild, that would count.  Hopefully, we won't see any exotics.

These must be Monroe County birds.  If you see them in Monroe County and they then fly out of Monroe County, they still count.  This means Monroe County in New York, not Monroe County, Louisiana.

OK, get out there and find those rare, hard-to-find birds!  Even the more "common" birds count.  Report the name of the bird, the day you saw it and where.  That way, if others want to see a bird, they'll know where to look.  Post a picture if you get one.  It's a fun way for all of us to learn to ID birds.

Joyce has the official Audubon list of birds and has volunteered to keep track of all the birds reported by the Rochester Falcon Watchers in a central place.  She will periodically post our sightings here.

We have some great birds so far including, of course, a Peregrine Falcon, a Snowy Owl, a Bald Eagle and a Kestrel.  We also have a Barred Owl, which I heard vocalizing from the woods at the end of my street.  Yes, according to June Summers, if you are familiar with a bird's call and you hear it, but don't see it, it counts.

Now this isn't to say that you ALL can't join in on the fun.  Start a list of the birds you see in your own area.  Start a Big Year of your own and share what you see with us.  Just label your post "Outside Monroe County".  That way Joyce won't check it off on our list.

If you don't know what kind of bird you saw and you get a picture, post it here and we'll all help you to ID it.  This will be not only fun, but a great way to enjoy the outdoors and learn about BIRDS.  What a silent, sad world this would be without our feathered friends!

The time to start has already passed.  Our Big Year will go from January 1st to December 31, 2012.

Remember, this is all for fun and a learning experience for us all.  Enjoy! and Keep Your Eyes to the Sky!

Peregrines know no borders.....
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 13-Jan-12, 09:37:49 PM »

Oh, darn. I don't keep track of the birds I see.  It is soooooo competitive down here about that.  But now you've thrown down the gauntlet. I am counting at Croton Point Park Nature Center for Saw Mill River Audubon's Project FeederWatch.  And I will be counting eagles for Bedford Audubon.  Guess I'll keep track from now on. My six year old grandson gave me a bird journal for Christmas.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-Jan-12, 09:37:02 PM »

I'll post this video here, since it's another bird to list on the Rochester Falcon Watcher's Team Big Year list.  I heard that some Short-ear Owls were seen inside Monroe County.  I don't remember the last time this happened.  Usually we have to go to Livingston County to see them.  I found them and they were a joy to watch.

I got a video of two of the owls "playing?".  To me they acted like two juvenile siblings, chasing each other, talon tagging and barking at each other.  I don't know enough about Short-ear Owls to know much about their behavour.  But it sure looked like juvenile play to me.  You be the judge.

Sorry to say, you won't hear their barking.  I was too far away.  I'll try to get their vocalizations next time.

Enjoy!

Short-Earred Owls in Monroe County, NY  
« Last Edit: 18-Jan-12, 09:49:05 PM by Carol P. » Logged

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-Jan-12, 09:44:27 PM »

clap Awesome! I know exactly where that is having lived in Hamlin for 13 years of my life! Thanks Carol!  Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19-Jan-12, 08:59:46 AM »

That sure does look like play behavior.  That's pretty cool!  Hoping they remain in that location until I can get out there to see them.

I added short-earded ow to the list!  Yea, these weren't in Livingston County.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-Jan-12, 10:13:36 AM »

Wow, cool video Carol. I never saw Owls at play then again, I don't see any Owls!  Embarrassed

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19-Jan-12, 07:20:52 PM »

Thanks MAK for posting your sighting of "snow bunting" in today's watch report. I added it to the list.
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19-Jan-12, 08:08:24 PM »

What have the local Rochester Falcon Watchers been doing this month?  
We are trying our hardest find (see or hear) as many different Monroe County bird species as we can in 2012 as part of the GVAS Big Year Count.

If you are local, join TEAM RFW.  We can use your help even if you are only a Rochester Watcher online.  You may have a bird in your area of Monroe County that we haven't documented yet.

I am keeping track by month, and checking off a list of 478 bird species that was abstracted from the New York State Ornithological Association, Inc.  I simplified it for those of us who are non-techie birders. SEE ATTACHMENTS.  

Official NYSOA list: (Includes several birds that won't be seen in Monroe County)
http://nybirds.org/Publications/ChecklistNYS.htm

1/23/12 updated attached files.
« Last Edit: 22-Jan-12, 02:44:05 PM by Joyce » Logged
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19-Jan-12, 08:27:19 PM »

Thanks MAK for posting your sighting of "snow bunting" in today's watch report. I added it to the list.

Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22-Jan-12, 02:45:43 PM »

3 more species added. See updated files in 19-Jan-12 post.  ~Joyce
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24-Jan-12, 07:02:04 PM »

Genesee Valley Audubon announces 2 OUTINGS:

Jan. 28, Saturday, 9:00 AM GVAS Big Year Irondequoit Bay to the Genesee River Outlet, Charlotte.

Beginning birders will enjoy this trip to watch for waterfowl that visit the open area on the lake each winter.  Dress warmly, we will be standing outside for a while and the wind will be blowing. Wear boots with good traction. Bring your spotting scope if you have one, we will share ours. We will meet at 9:00 AM at the Irondequoit Bay Outlet, parking area near the outlet.

Leaders: June, 865-6047, and Lisa.

Feb. 11, Saturday, 9:00 AM GVAS Big Year Winter Field Birds in Northwestern Monroe County.

Join us on an adventure on the roads through the farm country of northwestern Monroe County to look for Snow Buntings, Horned Larks and other field birds. We will be driving mostly with frequently stops. We will meet at the parking lot at Braddock Bay Park, off E. Manitou Rd, at 9:00 AM. We will head west to Hamlin Beach State Park then south into farm country. Please bring your spotting scope.

Leaders: June, 865-6047, and Lisa.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-Jan-12, 10:07:19 PM »

Remember that Dana said she saw a Red-bellied Woodpecker!   clap

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print