THE FORUM

23-Sep-24, 02:36:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuart cafe worker frees tangled manatee (Fla)  (Read 2571 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 03-Nov-09, 10:54:40 AM »

STUART — Lisa Stukel was working at the Pelican Café downtown Monday afternoon when she learned of a visitor in need.

While Stukel, 25, of Port St. Lucie, was on-duty as a cook at the cafe, a manatee ensnared in something swam close to the restaurant dock and got stuck between the dock and a column of the Roosevelt Bridge.

A diner saw the manatee in the water near the docks to the west of the café building and told Stukel’s friend and co-worker, Stephanie Grigsby, a server working the diner’s table.

The large manatee was ensnared in what looked to Stukel like a cast net and it was thrashing in the water. A smaller manatee was swimming close to it, she said.

Stukel said that the net was caught on some rocks in the St. Lucie River.

The café’s manager, Vicki Tschudi, said she called wildlife and marine rescue agencies for help.

Meanwhile, Stukel walked down the bank of the St. Lucie River on the western side of the Pelican Café and waded toward the creature, followed by Grigsby, she said.

“I didn’t know if the manatee would knock them on their feet,” Tschudi said later.

An employee of the Flagler Grill, the Pelican Café’s sister restaurant, handed Stukel a knife from the dock and she approached the panicked manatee with it.

Standing face-to-face with the manatee, she sliced loose a strand of fishing line wrapped around the manatee’s throat and pulled at the net wrapped around the creature’s head and flipper. The creature lingered for a while before disappearing into the water, before any other help could arrive.

“”It felt amazing,” Stukel said afterward, as she was enjoying the rest of the evening off with Grigsby.

This is so sad and I'm sure we'll see more and more of it.  Sad

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03-Nov-09, 02:51:46 PM »

I find it sad that this poor animal was ensnared (wonder if it was a parent to the little one swimming near by) but touched that this woman, who didn't know if she would get hurt, went right to its aid.  Good for her

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-Nov-09, 12:25:18 PM »

I am so sad the poor manatee was entangled but also very happy this woman went to its aid. Good for her.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: