THE FORUM

23-Sep-24, 02:32:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outdoor cats  (Read 4082 times)
Helen in MD
Eyas

Like Count: 76

View Profile
« on: 10-Nov-09, 12:29:26 PM »

A must view for those who let there cats roam outdoors. Sorry, but it is my soapbox topic.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3635549/keep_animals_safe/
valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 10-Nov-09, 03:22:46 PM »

Hey Helen - thanks for the "warning", as you know old chicken-hearted here.  eyecat That said, we never let any of our cats outside because of the dangers lurking for them and also what they could bring home with them.  Rich's sister now has 6 "barn" cats (the former kittens) cat and 3 lap of luxuray indoor cats.  Thank GOD the house is a big one, as we are anticipating all 9 inside.   kittykiss
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-Nov-09, 06:53:39 PM »

My 3 are indoor and stay indoors. The 3 outside....2 females spayed ($90 per cat) and 1 on birth control...every Tues, I give her a dose of Feral Stat. So far, no more KITTENS!!! They've been here for 8 yrs now, 2 sisters and 1 baby from one of them 4 yrs ago. I probably had 50 kittens in 10 yrs..all adopted....PHEW!!!

Donna

Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-Nov-09, 07:06:35 PM »

My 3 are indoor and stay indoors. The 3 outside....2 females spayed ($90 per cat) and 1 on birth control...every Tues, I give her a dose of Feral Stat. So far, no more KITTENS!!! They've been here for 8 yrs now, 2 sisters and 1 baby from one of them 4 yrs ago. I probably had 50 kittens in 10 yrs..all adopted....PHEW!!!

Donna

Feral Stat?  Please tell me more!
Carol
WV
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-Nov-09, 07:12:46 PM »

Donna

Feral Stat?  Please tell me more!
Carol

At Last! An Oral Contraceptive for Cats.

As anyone trying to curb the growth of a feral cat colony knows, it is often difficult—if not impossible—to trap every cat for spay/neuter surgery before it reproduces.

Now FeralStat, a feline oral contraceptive, is aiding in the management of feral cat colonies worldwide.

FeralStat is a synthetic progestin that prevents female cats from coming into heat. The active ingredient in FeralStat was patented and FDA-approved in the early 1950s. It is used extensively in human medicine, and has been prescribed by veterinarians for over 30 years for cats with skin, urinary tract, and behavioral disorders. It also has FDA approval for extra-label use as a feline oral contraceptive to postpone estrus in cats.

FeralStat is intended for use as a complement to spay/neuter and Trap, Neuter, and Return (TNR) programs for feral cats. To administer, simply mix FeralStat with wet cat food once per week and feed to all the cats in the colony.

Although it is designed for female cats, FeralStat has been given to male cats, pregnant females, and kittens who are sharing the food supply with no report of negative side effects. That is because a miniscule dose does the trick.

A cat's minimum effective daily dosage of FeralStat is approximately 0.04 milligrams—which is smaller than a grain of sand. In contrast, the daily dosage of this same compound, when used for treatment of tumors in humans, is two teaspoons or 20,000 times the amount.

FeralStat was developed with the assistance of veterinarians, research pharmacologists, chemists, compounding pharmacists and feral cat caretakers.

FeralStat is recommended to curb the growth of feral colonies in places where there is limited access to sterilization services or too many cats for TNR to be effective.

FeralStat is available by prescription only. For information on obtaining a FeralStat prescription, call 860-399-0097 or e-mail info@feralstat.com (inquiries must include a contact telephone number for follow up).
WV

My local pound gave me a jar free of charge...so far it works Carol.

Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-Nov-09, 07:53:35 PM »

Re: My local pound gave me a jar free of charge...so far it works Carol.
Thanks!  I have requested that they contact me, as I have a couple of outside unowned cats for whom it would be a godsend.
Carol
WV
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-Nov-09, 08:20:08 PM »

Re: My local pound gave me a jar free of charge...so far it works Carol.
Thanks!  I have requested that they contact me, as I have a couple of outside unowned cats for whom it would be a godsend.
Carol
WV

Hopefully they will give you some as it is kitten control. Good luck..let me know.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: