THE FORUM

01-May-24, 09:41:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buffalo Falcon News 2012  (Read 52249 times)
~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: 17-Jul-12, 01:00:25 PM »

Dana, absolutely stunning photography!  Thank you!

Of course the two girls fledged the following day when our Rochester friends were back in Rochester, and Alfreda needed a rescue.  Here is an account of that!

(without the drama) as reported by Roger and Sage

We were alerted by Michelle that Alfreda was likely down in the 20' deep well between the mid-roof and the front edge.  
Marty had been alert earlier to sounds heard there from inside the building, but the sounds could have been pigeons too because all pefas had been accounted for.  
Because of the danger, Jacquie, DEC,  was called and okayed the rescue.
(Since I can't do those stairs, I remained on the ground.  Sage)
Marty, Michelle, Enrique and I followed Marty up to the well floor level.
Marty unbolted the  panel and opened the window.  
I climbed out onto the well floor with Sage's shirt and the rescue box, heavy gloves, spray bottle of water.  
20 year old linen shirt now has talon tears in the front, but I'll keep using it!
Alfreda appeared surprisingly calm
Marty and Enrique stood guard against a unhappy parent attack.
I carefully approached Alfreda who was in a corner and put Sage's shirt gently over her head.  She ran into the shirt and laid down.
After having observed that she was okay, I gently carried her to the box.
Michelle carried the box as we walked up to the higher roof floor window.
Enrique carried the box out onto the mid roof and gently released her.
Alfreda showed her thanks by squawking at him and flapping her wings.
Within an hour, she had made her way across the well and to the front ledge where she hung out with her sister, Wagner through the next day,
until...
by evening, she made a short flight and missed her landing.  She clung to the side of the building for quite a while,
then,
made a fall/flight towards the area of the roof where she was again out of sight!
Alfreda has still not been seen today...
If she is not spotted soon, another rescue may be needed.  Sad  It is very hot today with strong gusty wind.  Joyce should be arriving about now...
Joyce at ct now, disregard earlier
« Last Edit: 17-Jul-12, 03:26:04 PM by ~Sage~ » Logged

~Sage~
Juvie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: 17-Jul-12, 01:03:43 PM »

ALBUM

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: 17-Jul-12, 01:29:35 PM »

Dana, beautiful pictures.  What good photo ops!

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
~Sage~
Juvie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: 17-Jul-12, 08:54:47 PM »

Another dramatic day at CT! It was extremely windy at CT today which is located on higher ground with a lot of space around it. This makes for a very windy corridor, a bit much for new fledges.
One of the two fledglings had not been seen since last night, when it had a poor flight and disappeared from view over the roof, which has a deep well which I cannot describe for you right now.
Without going into all the details, around 5:30, Connie, Jacquie and Marty went in to get to the roof and well. On the way up the stairs, they apparently made some noise which scared the fledge off the bldg and we saw it fly off from its hiding place. After being sure we had 2 adults and two fledges accounted for, we heaved our sighs of relief and finished the watch by being treated to beautiful display of flying and hovering high over the tower by Gleig.
Thank you to Joyce, Michelle, Carl, Marty, Mike, Connie and Jacquie who showed up to help find our baby Peregrine! Michelle gave me a ride home because Roger had to leave. Carl just texted that all four were flying and the kids are now tucked in for the night!
Smiley  Sage

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 17-Jul-12, 10:09:52 PM »

Another dramatic day at CT! It was extremely windy at CT today which is located on higher ground with a lot of space around it. This makes for a very windy corridor, a bit much for new fledges.
One of the two fledglings had not been seen since last night, when it had a poor flight and disappeared from view over the roof, which has a deep well which I cannot describe for you right now.
Without going into all the details, around 5:30, Connie, Jacquie and Marty went in to get to the roof and well. On the way up the stairs, they apparently made some noise which scared the fledge off the bldg and we saw it fly off from its hiding place. After being sure we had 2 adults and two fledges accounted for, we heaved our sighs of relief and finished the watch by being treated to beautiful display of flying and hovering high over the tower by Gleig.
Thank you to Joyce, Michelle, Carl, Marty, Mike, Connie and Jacquie who showed up to help find our baby Peregrine! Michelle gave me a ride home because Roger had to leave. Carl just texted that all four were flying
 and the kids are now tucked in for the night!
Smiley  Sage

2thumbsup

~Sage~
Juvie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: 18-Jul-12, 05:24:33 PM »

The girls are flying great today!  The flag was hanging limply from the pole so they didn't have to chance getting blown off course!  Each circled the tower with a parent, landed fine, went to rest on the nestbox ledge.  Smiley

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 18-Jul-12, 05:49:47 PM »

The girls are flying great today!  The flag was hanging limply from the pole so they didn't have to chance getting blown off course!  Each circled the tower with a parent, landed fine, went to rest on the nestbox ledge.  Smiley

Good to hear!   thumbsup

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 18-Jul-12, 06:07:01 PM »

Glad to hear that A&W, the rootbeer girls, are doing well!   clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
~Sage~
Juvie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: 18-Jul-12, 07:01:05 PM »

Playing with Gleig in Photoshop!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 18-Jul-12, 10:40:32 PM »

good news

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
schlaf374
Juvie

Like Count: 58

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 18-Jul-12, 11:00:42 PM »

We were at the Buffalo VA this morning. As we were getting out of the car we noticed a fairly large bird flying over Bailey Ave, landing on the tower in the VA parking lot. It had the distinctive pointy wings, and the flap,flap flap of a juvie. It stayed on the tower for about 10 minutes, then took off after a crow. It was a great start to a very long day.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 30-Jul-12, 08:53:11 PM »

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/buffalo/article973875.ece

15 peregrine falcon chicks continue species comeback!!   clap   The area welcomed more than a dozen new residents this summer. And they had living arrangements in some of the region's tallest landmarks.

Fifteen peregrine falcon chicks have hatched in nests up to 200 feet off the ground on such places as Statler City, the Central Terminal and the North and South Grand Island bridges.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 30-Jul-12, 09:02:05 PM »

"If you build it, they will come," Adams said of the nest boxes placed on tall structures in the area."

If the nest boxes weren't there, the pairs would try to nest elsewhere, such as a window ledge, and likely be unsuccessful, Adams said.

I like this guy, wish more thought like him!  thumbsup  Thanks for sharing the article  bow
Marcia L.
Fluffball

Like Count: 17

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 31-Jul-12, 12:35:18 AM »

"I like this guy, wish more thought like him!"

That would be, "her" - Connie Adams, of the NYS DEC, to whom we owe a good deal for her dedication to Western New York falcons.

ML

Marcia L.
~Sage~
Juvie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: 10-Aug-12, 09:08:07 PM »

The Root Beer girls, Alfreda and Wagner, are doing great at Central Terminal! 

A shot from the other day...I forgot to repost some to FBPP today!  They uploaded to ~Sage~

Since the colored tape has come off both, I can't ID them.  They were very high!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: