THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 08:45:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleveland, Ohio Falcons  (Read 78456 times)
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19-Nov-09, 08:42:42 AM »

Thanks Aafke!

When I was looking through my collection of falcon pictures, I was surprised to find a 2004 date on the picture of Buckeye buried in snow that I eventually posted.  I had expected it to have a 2002 date, because I had a recollection of seeing it while we were on a ski trip in the Canadian Rockies.  I still remember my shock at seeing the picture -- it really did look as if he had frozen to death.  The weather was even worse than in 2004 -- it was 28 F (-2 C) with  39 mph (63) kph winds and severe icing conditions.  You can see that he is encased in ice and that his feathers are askew.  Still, the brave little guy hung in there and all eggs hatched and fledged.  What a great bird!

Paul
« Last Edit: 19-Nov-09, 09:25:28 AM by Paul Hamilton » Logged
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19-Nov-09, 09:15:45 AM »

Falcons are AMAZING!! Amelia was the same way with her eggs. She was buried in snow but never gave up.

valhalla
« Reply #17 on: 19-Nov-09, 11:15:04 AM »

I showed Paul's picture to Rich last night, and he, too was amazed at the depths these birds go to to protect their young.  I also think of the Blackwater Eagles covered in both rain a snow with new babies - amazing.
Nic1Pic
Juvie

Like Count: 43

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19-Nov-09, 02:32:57 PM »

Thanks for the answer. You are right. I found that Spirit's father is dead in 2007. Spirit and Roger are still on the top of Montreal University.
carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19-Nov-09, 08:42:05 PM »

Thanks Paul and Aafke for the pictures.He was an amazing bird.It's very sad..... Sad
greetings carla
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19-Nov-09, 10:36:54 PM »

What an amazing little guy.  How could we not be in awe of such a strong little being. 

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20-Nov-09, 01:20:26 AM »

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20-Nov-09, 02:11:58 AM »

Hi Joyce,

a beautiful picture of Buckeye.  notworthy

Annette

valhalla
« Reply #23 on: 20-Nov-09, 06:05:19 AM »

Hi Joyce,

Annette

ditto
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20-Nov-09, 06:13:31 AM »

Hi Joyce,

Annette

ditto

Double  ditto Thanks Joyce

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20-Nov-09, 06:16:21 AM »

Just beautiful, Joyce! 

Anatole France
Juanita
Egg

Like Count: 2

Bandit: Patriarch Of Columbus Peregrine Falcons

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22-Nov-09, 02:59:12 PM »

Thanks Aafke!

When I was looking through my collection of falcon pictures, I was surprised to find a 2004 date on the picture of Buckeye buried in snow that I eventually posted.  I had expected it to have a 2002 date, because I had a recollection of seeing it while we were on a ski trip in the Canadian Rockies.  I still remember my shock at seeing the picture -- it really did look as if he had frozen to death.  The weather was even worse than in 2004 -- it was 28 F (-2 C) with  39 mph (63) kph winds and severe icing conditions.  You can see that he is encased in ice and that his feathers are askew.  Still, the brave little guy hung in there and all eggs hatched and fledged.  What a great bird!

Paul

Paul, your memory served you well - Buckeye did incubate eggs in 2002. Scott Wright monitored (as he always has and still does) this nest. He said Buckeye sat on the eggs, covered in snow and ice, for 25 hours straight. These are cam images of Buckeye from the March 25-March 26, 2002 time (many Cleveland forum members thought Buckeye was dead).

The male is unbanded and probably a wild bird. Wildlife officials have named him Bandit because of his darker-than-normal hood.
Columbus Dispatch June 2, 1994 (report of 1st Banding Day at the Rhodes State Office Tower)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22-Nov-09, 04:53:34 PM »

Amazing pictures of an amazing Peregrine.  Thanks for sharing them with us and congrats on your first post Juanita.   wave

Peregrines know no borders.....
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22-Nov-09, 04:57:03 PM »

Juanita,

Welcome!!!  When I saw these pictures, Buckeye looked like he might be dead.  I can only imagine what went through the Cleveland watchers' minds.  What a heroic bird.   heart heart heart

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25-Nov-09, 09:14:14 AM »

Buckeye, believed to be one of the country's oldest and most prolific peregrine falcons, died last week after apparently striking a building near its urban nest on the Terminal Tower.

A woman walking at the intersection of West Third Street and Huron Avenue discovered the injured male on the sidewalk and called Harvey Webster, director of wildlife resources at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.

Webster said the unidentified woman managed to scoop up the bird and rush it to the museum. But Buckeye was dead by the time she arrived, said Webster, the overseer of the falcons' nesting box 12 floors above Public Square.

"He had a heck of a life and an incredible run during his 12 years on the Terminal Tower," Webster said.

Buckeye was 14 years old, having hatched in 1996 atop the Rhodes Office Tower in downtown Columbus. Officers with Ohio's Division of Natural Resources attached an identifying leg band on the chick before he left the nest.

As an adult, he flew north and spent two years on the Case Western Reserve University campus before pairing up with a female, Zenith, on the downtown Cleveland skyscraper.

In 2001, a second female, hatched in Pittsburgh and identified only as S/W, arrived in Cleveland and killed Zenith. She then joined Buckeye at the nest.

Between the two females, Buckeye sired 34 peregrine chicks, an amazing accomplishment for a species that was endangered for decades, Webster said.

Buckeye was getting old, but he hadn't missed a beat incubating the eggs or providing food for his chicks, Webster said.

Webster speculated that Buckeye's fatal collision might have come during an aerial battle with another male. The falcons can dive at up to 200 mph.

The males may have been battling for S/W's affections. The past weekend, downtown falcon watchers had observed S/W in the company of a new male. He has a leg band, but no one has been able to read its identification numbers yet.

Webster said Cleveland's falcon enthusiasts aren't as willing as S/W to adopt the interloper. They had become attached to Buckeye over the years, and have been mourning, he said. (sounds familiar) Sad

Many Buckeye fans have been posting tributes on-line, and Scott Wright -- who dubbed him "Mr. B" -- downloaded dozens of photographs that he shot of the bird from close range.

http://www.falconcam-cmnh.org/news.php

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: