THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 09:50:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleveland, Ohio Falcons  (Read 78458 times)
Dawn
Eyas

Like Count: 63

View Profile
« on: 18-Nov-09, 01:37:32 PM »

Buckeye - 1996-2009
I am very sad to report that Buckeye was found on a sidewalk by West 3rd and Huron Rd in downtown Cleveland this afternoon and died in transit to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. It appears that he sustained fatal head injuries. He had a long and distinguished career at the Terminal Tower with Zenith and S/W and sired many, many young.

Harvey

Buckeye Update
To follow up on my last post, this is what I know. A lady walking on West 3rd and Huron found Buckeye on the sidewalk clearly in distress and barely responsive. She covered him with her coat and contacted me at the Museum about 1:40 pm on Tuesday, 11/17/09. She offered to transport Buckeye to the Museum so that we could assess his condition and expedite his transportation to the Medina Raptor Center or Lake Metroparks Clinton Wildlife Center. When she arrived at the Museum around 2:10 pm Buckeye had already expired. I confirmed his identity by the R/K color band and notified the Ohio Division of Wildlife. We will have a necropsy performed at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo today. However it is clear that, without a mark on his body and blood streaming from his mouth, Buckeye sustained a fatal head injury consistent with a window or building collision. A necropsy might reveal if there were any underlying health issues. My examination suggested he was in good health and plumage with no sign of other conditions or injuries that might have contributed to his death.

I will be spending time at the Terminal Tower this afternoon to assess the work being done on the ledge and I will keep an eye out for S/W.

This is is a difficult time of transition for all of us falcon enthusiasts who have become so attached to the lives of Buckeye, S/W and their offspring. This is also a time of transition for S/W. It is my hope that her long term attachment to this very successful site will hold and she will recruit a new mate in the coming weeks or months.

I will keep you updated with any news.

Harvey
« Last Edit: 28-Mar-14, 02:24:46 PM by Shaky » Logged

"Those who believe a dog has no soul, have never looked in the eyes of a German Shepherd."

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18-Nov-09, 01:54:12 PM »

Buckeye - 1996-2009
I am very sad to report that Buckeye was found on a sidewalk by West 3rd and Huron Rd in downtown Cleveland this afternoon and died in transit to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. It appears that he sustained fatal head injuries. He had a long and distinguished career at the Terminal Tower with Zenith and S/W and sired many, many young.

Harvey

Buckeye Update
To follow up on my last post, this is what I know. A lady walking on West 3rd and Huron found Buckeye on the sidewalk clearly in distress and barely responsive. She covered him with her coat and contacted me at the Museum about 1:40 pm on Tuesday, 11/17/09. She offered to transport Buckeye to the Museum so that we could assess his condition and expedite his transportation to the Medina Raptor Center or Lake Metroparks Clinton Wildlife Center. When she arrived at the Museum around 2:10 pm Buckeye had already expired. I confirmed his identity by the R/K color band and notified the Ohio Division of Wildlife. We will have a necropsy performed at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo today. However it is clear that, without a mark on his body and blood streaming from his mouth, Buckeye sustained a fatal head injury consistent with a window or building collision. A necropsy might reveal if there were any underlying health issues. My examination suggested he was in good health and plumage with no sign of other conditions or injuries that might have contributed to his death.

I will be spending time at the Terminal Tower this afternoon to assess the work being done on the ledge and I will keep an eye out for S/W.

This is is a difficult time of transition for all of us falcon enthusiasts who have become so attached to the lives of Buckeye, S/W and their offspring. This is also a time of transition for S/W. It is my hope that her long term attachment to this very successful site will hold and she will recruit a new mate in the coming weeks or months.

I will keep you updated with any news.

Harvey

How very very sad for Buckeye...lots of us here have watched that cam also. RIP Buckeye, you sure were a cutie. Wow, that's 2 Ohio males in a few months. Darn buildings. crying crying crying

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-Nov-09, 03:22:42 PM »

Hi Dawn,

oh no. Poor Buckeye.  Sad  Cry

Annette

Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-Nov-09, 03:47:49 PM »

Here he is in 2004, protecting his eggs.  Cleveland weather at the time was 32.0°F ( 0° C), visibility  0.2 miles (.3 km), wind gust 36.8 mph (59 kph),  heavy snow, fog.  That would have been close to whiteout conditions, and it was believed that this severe weather wouold have kept SW from relieving him.

All the eggs hatched and all the hatchlings fledged.

Paul
« Last Edit: 18-Nov-09, 05:06:47 PM by Paul Hamilton » Logged
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-Nov-09, 04:25:35 PM »

Sad     

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18-Nov-09, 04:44:02 PM »

What a great photo Paul, thank you for sharing that with us.  It's actions like that bind us closer to our falcons, when we realize what they endure and what they will do to protect their unborn young.  They just never cease to amaze me and humble me.  Buckeye was one of the great ones and he will be sorely missed by everyone.     

valhalla
« Reply #6 on: 18-Nov-09, 05:34:54 PM »

crying Godspeed, Buckeye
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18-Nov-09, 05:37:20 PM »

Oh no!   Sad

Fly Free Buckeye.  You will truly be missed.

Peregrines know no borders.....
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18-Nov-09, 05:52:31 PM »

How awful!  Oh Buckeye.  Fly free, sweet boy. crying crying

That picture, Paul.... what devotion to their young.  Some humans cannot even compare

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-Nov-09, 05:57:55 PM »

And bless that woman who called for assistance and covered Buckeye with her coat.  At least he was surrounded by a loving person in his last moments

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Nic1Pic
Juvie

Like Count: 43

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18-Nov-09, 07:46:55 PM »

Is this Buckeye the father of our Spirit in Montreal? Nicole
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18-Nov-09, 08:28:23 PM »

Nicole I believe your Spirit's father was the other Buckeye - also a very famous and much loved falcon from the Hilliard Road Bridge in Cleveland and he passed on in 2007.  

This Buckeye also had a female eyases named Spirit last year - 2008 with a band ID of S/20 from what I could find.

Now I'm not sure if somehow the two Buckeye's are not related as both nest sites seem to have some shared history in the past.  I have only known this Buckeye for 3 years so I am not well versed on his past history prior to that other than what I have read on various message boards.

It is interesting that you have Spirit, daughter of Hilliard Buckeye in Montreal as I am in Toronto and one of my girls born here in 2006 named Lara is now in Ohio on a bridge with a falcon named Rocky who was one of the last eyases born to Hilliard's Buckeye.  

It seems the falcon world is a small world after all and it's wonderful to see the offspring of those we lost live on in their descendants  Smiley
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18-Nov-09, 08:41:17 PM »

No, Spirit hatched at the Hilliard Road Bridge in 2004 with Hillary and the other Buckeye as parents. The Hilliard Street Bridge is also in Ohio.

Paul
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18-Nov-09, 10:50:27 PM »

Sad Poor Baby you will be missed

that picture, what a great Dad star
Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19-Nov-09, 06:35:44 AM »

That's very bad
 I immidiatly thought of  him protecting the eggs when there was a lot of snow. These pictures are from March 25, 2002. You can see he did it more than once.
He was the first peregrine that I followed on a webcam during the period of laying eggs and hatching.
rose Thanks Buckeye rose

crying greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: