THE FORUM

01-Oct-24, 05:16:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSU officials devise plan to drive crows out of town  (Read 2822 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 20-Nov-09, 06:58:48 AM »

STATE COLLEGE — For a third year, hundreds of unwanted visitors, hailing from parts of Canada and New England, are dotting the skies above State College. The crows — they've got to go.
112108Crows_3

“We’re hoping the word will get out among the crows and they’ll no longer find State College a favorite place for winter,” said Phillip Mel-nick, director of buildings and grounds for Penn State’s Office of Physical Plant at Monday night’s State College Borough Council meeting. “Hopefully they’ll tell their friends, ‘Hey, don’t come to State College.’ ”

Between 2007 and 2008, the crow population descending upon State College has increased from 1,500 to 3,000, he added.

Penn State’s Office of Physical Plant has tried everything, including an attempt in 2007 to deter the birds from roosting using cotton candy scented fog above the Allen Street/College Avenue bus stop.

Last November, OPP tried frightening the avian pests by launching 102 small firecrackers —called “bangers and screamers” — between Whitmore and Pond laboratories on the north side of Pollock Road. After 75 dead crow effigies were dangled upside down from the trees in that area, many

of the birds began roosting in Hort Woods, a wooded plot in North Campus.
Advertisement

Hort Woods is a mecca of crow amenities, including pine trees, a lit walkway and proximity to warmth from buildings, Melnick told council.

However, Gary Schultz Child Care Center is set for construction near Hort Woods. Small children and hoards of squawking crows don’t mix, Melnick said.

This time, officials are hoping to relocate the crows to a clump of trees east of the visitor’s center or the duck pond near the university’s wastewater treatment facility. Firework displays similar to those last year could start as early as next week, Melnick said.

“This will be more difficult,” he added. “The new areas don’t have the characteristics that crows normally prefer.”

Melnick said officials might erect portable light towers, similar to those that illuminate the tailgating fields after night football games, to make the new roosting areas more attractive to the crows.

Earlier this year, officials discussed employing hunters to release their licensed falcons and hawks into crowds of crows in hopes of sending them packing. On Monday, Melnick said that idea hasn’t been ruled out.

Last year, officials trapped some crows and tagged them with radio transmitters. One has returned this year, Melnick said, with the transmitter still working, and has been tracked at many places, including behind the Arboretum on Park Avenue.

“You don’t know where they’re going to go when you harass them,” he added. “We have our work cut out for us. ... We’ll adjust on the fly, so to speak.”

Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 268

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 20-Nov-09, 11:25:05 AM »

"... including an attempt in 2007 to deter the birds from roosting using cotton candy scented fog above the Allen Street/College Avenue bus stop."

That's worthy of note, too.

"However, Gary Schultz Child Care Center is set for construction near Hort Woods. Small children and hoards of squawking crows don’t mix, Melnick said."

I agree.  Children should learn not to hoard crows.

Paul
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-Nov-09, 11:27:18 AM »

I think I'd rather have the squawking crows then the hoards of small children  hysterical
valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 23-Nov-09, 07:06:25 AM »

I think I'd rather have the squawking crows then the hoards of small children  hysterical

Me, too!   rofl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: