THE FORUM

22-Oct-24, 02:45:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Molting and Peregrines  (Read 4556 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« on: 27-Jul-12, 07:27:03 PM »

It's been noted that Beauty is going through her molting phase and when I was reading the CMNH Forum today, someone had asked if this particular female was less active than usual because of her molting.  Chad and Chris wrote this answer which I thought was particularly interesting as I had no knowledge of the molting process:

"We don't get to see her much during that time, but we're assuming that this is the time frame where she's in the main phase of her molt. We know from our involvement with Laura and the MRC that while falcons are molting there is a time that their feathers are "in blood", meaning that the new feathers are soft and tender at the shaft as the old feathers push out. During this time the birds can be sore, and they are typically less active. It's also an important time for rehabilitators and/or falconers not to push their birds into activity, because breakage of "in blood" feathers at the shaft can cause them to bleed out.

As for Lara, a couple weeks ago she began joining in the hunting and food deliveries more, even though when we saw her she was still heavily molting. Molts vary among birds, including time frames of the molt, so I imagine that when she's joining in in the hunting she's not as sore and isn't recognizing any dangers in doing so. I also assume that since Rocky is an efficient hunter, it's not as necessary for her to "get going" to help out, whereas other pairs with less experienced males and/or larger broods may need more cooperation from the female.

The molts of females and males are at different time frames by design. The male has to be at "full throttle" after the juvies have fledged, so a molt would be a problem for him at that time. Also, you might notice that Rocky brings back prey more frequently, with more variety, whereas Lara usually brings in pigeons. This is one of the theories regarding the size and agility differences between the sexes: males can capture smaller, more varied prey due to their agility while females are able to capture and carry larger prey items."
« Last Edit: 27-Jul-12, 07:59:12 PM by Kris G. » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27-Jul-12, 08:03:28 PM »

Wow, that is interesting, thanks Kris. I know when my male Cockatiel first went through a molt, I had no clue. He looked ragged, was NASTY and was sitting at the bottom of his cage, (which usually means they are not feeling well. I called the vet, (in frantic mode) and he said, calm down, what are his symptoms? I told him and he said----he's going through a molt and they can get very irritable and may not even want you to touch them. So, I'm like, alrighty then, that explains it. Now I know when Moe gets cranky, even with the love of his life, my daughter, he's in a molt and we leave him alone. He likes it that way!  devil

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27-Jul-12, 08:12:57 PM »

Wow, that is interesting, thanks Kris. I know when my male Cockatiel first went through a molt, I had no clue. He looked ragged, was NASTY and was sitting at the bottom of his cage, (which usually means they are not feeling well. I called the vet, (in frantic mode) and he said, calm down, what are his symptoms? I told him and he said----he's going through a molt and they can get very irritable and may not even want you to touch them. So, I'm like, alrighty then, that explains it. Now I know when Moe gets cranky, even with the love of his life, my daughter, he's in a molt and we leave him alone. He likes it that way!  devil

When I read this I thought about Beauty going through her molt and maybe that's why the distance the past couple days.  MAK had said today that she was pulling on molting feathers.  I didn't realize that there was a soreness involved or that they could "bleed out".  I suppose it's the same with all birds-rough to go through!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27-Jul-12, 09:54:28 PM »

Very interesting.  Thanks for posting Kris.

Beauty laid low again today.  Saw her fly once, over the jail communication tower where she remained for a few hours.  She was gone when I left, so hopefully she'll end up on Cam #4 tonite with Orion. 

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: