THE FORUM

26-Apr-24, 05:32:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anne in Toronto's Secret Christmas Tree - December, 2010  (Read 5400 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« on: 22-Nov-12, 08:35:34 PM »

As Christmas approaches, I thought this would be a perfect time to post this.  Big Frank reminded me about how Anne in Toronto, after reading a story posted by Donna, decided to secretly decorate a tree of her own.  Here are her posts.  Many of us followed Anne's adventure and her joy at bringing happiness to others.  This took place early December of 2010.  I hope you enjoy reading about it as much as I did.

Although we have lost Anne, her spirit will live on with wonderful memories like this.   angel  heart

Anne in Toronto's Secret Christmas Tree - December, 2010

Roadside Secret Santa at it again along NJ highway

By WAYNE PARRY

(AP) LITTLE EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. - An annual Christmas mystery is playing itself out again along a busy New Jersey highway.

A Secret Santa is once again surreptitiously hanging ornaments from a large pine tree by the side of the Garden State Parkway in the dead of night.

Oh man --it never occurred to me!  What a wonderful idea!!  I have Christmas ornaments my nieces and nephews or I have made...  *big grin*  I go for lots of late night walks around downtown Toronto...in fact, know the very best place!  Near a seniors' residence, on the way to two schools, to work for lots of people...  Thanks for the best festive idea I've heard of in a long time!  I'm in for some fun!!  I'm out of here!!   
Anne in Toronto

First "delivery" made!  I'll have to see if it stays there...  It's behind a low wall, with a little fence, so adults won't bother it...  And I put it up fairly high...  So maybe kids can't reach it...  Or maybe everyone will just be glad to see it there!
Thanks for the great idea!!
Anne in Toronto

It was fun!  And I delight in this newly found ability I have -- to be spontaneous!  And I've already decided on my next "ornament" -- a crude but delightful papier-mache snowflake one of my nephews made for me some 20 years ago.  Last night's was a Santa, pulled from the imagination of an excited 5 year old niece.

I also thought about taking daily photographs, but decided that things like this are best left to the imagination...  That my memories will always be much clearer than a photograph.  Because a photo wouldn't capture my reasons for doing this, the feelings that others may have...  I will post about my little adventures.  But it's not the actuality that matters, but my renewed feelings of joy, happiness, contentment -- something I thought I had lost forever seven months ago.

Thanks again for such a great idea, for the supportive words!  You have changed the season from one of sadness to one much brighter, hopeful!

Anne in Toronto

Well, Number 1, the Santa, is still on the tree, survived an short spell of huge snowflakes and a ferocious wind and has been joined by Number 2, the lumpy snowflake!  I cheated and put it up as I passed by, walking home from downtown.  Didn't figure I'd have enough energy to go out again.  And there wasn't anyone in the immediate vicinity, so I moved quickly and did the deed!  Tomorrow -- another niece's contribution, a large dough star, beautifully painted by this then 3 year old!!  It is soooo hard, that I don't think any precipitation will hurt it.  And, if it does, well, it's good for returning to the earth, no harm done!  So far so good!! 

Anne in Toronto

Thank you, Carol!  Some bell rang when this "stealth project" idea surface!  It had never occurred to me...  However, better late than never!  It's finally snowed here in downtown Toronto, so I'll see how homemade ornaments survive the elements!  I walk by the tree on the way to work, so will take a peek!  And tonight will slip out again and have some fun!!  Hope you all have a warm, happy day!

Anne in Toronto

Oh man, am I frozen!!  It's bitter out there!   I had to keep reminding myself why I was wandering around in the dark, freezing to death!  Anyway, the large, dough star, in all its gaudy uniqueness, is suspended, looking pretty fine!  That's three ornaments!  I am going to leave for work a bit earlier than usual and just stand across the street, watching as the kids head to school and the adults to work.  I wonder if anyone has noticed...  Certainly, no one has touched the other two.  Anyway, I will report back.  And will plan tomorrow's mission!  I must say, that an extra trip down my 282 stairs, is good exercise, but in combination with the cold, doesn't exactly create the right place for sleeping!  On the other hand, climbing into my nice warn waterbed has its attractions!!

Night all!
Anne, still shivering, in Toronto

Well, I witnessed some interesting events this morning!  I may have dreamed some of this, being half-asleep...but I don’t think so!!  It really was better than a dream!  And, it was way, way too cold and windy!! 

First, my three “ornaments of great worth”, the Santa, the Snowflake and the Gaudy Dough Star were still there and waving in the wind.  But, curiously, the  GD Star had changed position – was higher and to the left!!  Hmmmm...

Secondly, my 3 ornaments had been joined by 2 more!!  A very long construction paper loop chain, of red, green and yellow – someone’s patient work!  The wind wasn’t being kind, but it still added colour!  But it was the second ornament that really caught my attention – a shiny blue and white Star of David!!  It looked homemade -- a fond treasure from someone’s life. And it belonged! 

So now there are 5 dedicated ornaments adorning our tree!  And, I am not alone!

Now – The Audience!  Few work-bound grown-ups bothered to lift their heads as they headed into the cold wind... They were too cold...  Cold, old adults...  But the children!  They were all looking up at the tree!  And they were excited!!  Can you imagine snowsuited little balls of energy pointing and jumping around?  For 5 homemade ornaments!!  Even the older kids were pointing and shoving each other around!  And no child passed without looking!  Even the “children delivery” people were enjoying themselves!   For 5 bright ornaments!!   And I was glued to my spot across the street, with a huge grin on my face, watching in amazement...work forgotten...   The crossing guard, a puzzled looking little fellow, finally wandered over and asked me, in broken English, “This happen much yes?”.  To which I could only reply , “Yep – somewhere in this world, this always happens!”.

I do owe an apology to the crossing guards!  They were working hard at maintaining some kind of safe order, without complaint, as this crowded corner of a busy street was causing some problems...   For 5 shared ornaments!!  They were being very tolerant!  Next year, the tree will be away from a corner...but it’s too late to make a change now.   It’s been noticed and would be missed, I’d like to think...

Let’s see... In the end there will be about 18 decorations!  How amazing that this tiny display can cheer a large group of people, when City Hall spends millions of dollars for their display and ours is free...loved...and, well, priceless!! 

Anne in Toronto

I guess some of you didn't see my first post...  Here's what I said and I'm afraid that I still feel very strongly about this...  It's why I have gone to such lengths to describe the whole adventure to all of you...tried to give you a feeling of the emotions that it's exuding...

"I also thought about taking daily photographs, but decided that things like this are best left to the imagination...  That my memories will always be much clearer than a photograph.  Because a photo wouldn't capture my reasons for doing this, the feelings that others may have..."

I'm sorry if you are disappointed...  Use your mind's eye to see this tiny incursion into my surrounding neighbourhood.  Sorry...

Anne in Toronto

I'm heading out in a few minutes to hang my next contribution...a fairly large candy cane, skillfully crafted by a (then) 7 year old nephew...

Still cold outside!  But the wind has gone down quite a bit.  All the decorations are still there and I attempted to anchor the construction paper loop chain in place better...  It had been broken into 3 pieces by the wind, so I just spread the colour around some.  I think it will stay put now...as long as we don’t get any snow...  We’ll cross that bridge if and when...  I can always make another, if the person responsible for it doesn’t replace it.  There was no one around and no further ornaments – but the last two arrived after my rather late visit last night...  More night owls, eh!   Anyway, I tied the Candy Cane up as high as I could, with some good strong red ribbon, so that it won’t blow around with the wind.  Looked good!  I’m really surprised that all have remained in situ...  Is there some kind of aura that goes along with festive projects that protects them?  Frankly, I’m surprised that there hasn’t been some kind of interference!  Feels good!  But I’m not unrealistic, either!  What will be, will be. 

Night all!

Anne in Toronto

This morning, I dashed past the tree, on the other side of the street -- partly because it was extremely cold outside and partly because I was late for work...  But I came to a dead stop, after taking a quick glance!

Another construction paper loop chain, a really long one, now in blue, red and green, circles the tree -- perhaps a chain to unite the different religions, in this holiday season.  And, a fairly large Peace Symbol -- about 8 inches across!  I think it's probably made of the same dough that my gaudy dough star    is...but I wasn't close enough to really be able to tell...  It's heavy, isn't moving in the wind very much. So the decoration count is up to 8 items!!  It's really pleasing that all the items are homemade!  And that they are all still accounted for!

I think the main bulk of the children had already passed and I was really running late, so didn't pause long, but there were still 12 of them, plus minders, and the children were pointing and running around.  Obviously still pleased!  I was still feeling a little guilty at the problems this is causing the crossing guards...  But, after chatting with the lady crossing guard, it would seem that they really don't mind and are interested in the tree, too!  So I feel somewhat relieved.  And so off I went, trying to decide which decoration I should put up tonight....

Anne in Toronto  One funny little sidebar -- there were patients, out in our waiting room, talking about the tree!!

I’m back!  It is really just too cold out there!  But going down the stairs and walking fast over to the tree, kept me fairly warm.  When I arrived, I was disappointed to see that two decorations were missing – the big Candy Cane and the Star of David...  Nothing else disturbed...  The first – it doesn’t matter – it had been seen and enjoyed, had become part of the memory and that was enough.  But, I worried about the Star of David...  I didn’t want this tree to turn into the focal point of some misguided feelings about a specific religion.  Frankly, to me this tree isn’t about religion, it’s about a time, when people should feel generous, should include their neighbourhood in their thoughts, should try to treat everyone decently and equally...  And, I do believe that those are premises of all religions...and should be the postulation of every person, attempting to get along in this world.

My Dad, who a lot of you knew in this group, would have been 95 today...died four days later, last year...  I’ve really been missing him all day, thinking about him, and when I realized that part of the whole was gone, I thought back to what he would have advised.  And right off, I knew exactly what he would have said to me, “Don’t dwell on it.  Do something about it.  But don’t throw blame around!  Assume that some poor soul isn’t able to get past their confused feelings, to accept that all people, religious or otherwise, are just that, people!  Never blame!  Try to find some way to resolve the problem, at the same time teaching others what happened and what would be better.”  Boy, Dad, that’s a hard one, when no one even knows I’m decorating this tree...  So I decided to leave the thinking until I was in a warmer place – where I didn’t have brain freeze – and to ask for help...from you folk...

Tonight’s ornament is something my Dad gave me on Christmas Day 1960.  It was Christmastime and I wanted a stuffed English Robin.  I’d recently learned that I had an English cousin, who was born just 2 days before I was and she’d told me about their little English Robins on her Christmas card to me.  I have no idea why a 10 year old girl would want such a thing for Christmas...but I did...and my Dad seemed to sense that it was important...  So he made me one...  My Dad, not all that handy with his hands, made me a beautiful English Robin!  It was the only present I paid any attention to on Christmas morning.  I adored it and have always treasured it.  The thing that strikes me now is that I knew that it would be there under the tree.  That’s how close we were...always...why I miss him so much today.  Anyway, my gift to my neighbourhood tonight was that stuffed Robin.  I felt strongly that it was really important, especially on this day.  It’s about 10" tall, so will be visible and really colourful, cheerful.  So up it went...as high as I could put it...not because I don’t want someone to take it, but because I want to be sure that it can be seen by everyone out there!  It’s a very special Robin!  *grin*

So, I’m back home and frozen stiff...but very content.  The tree looks good...just a little vacant.  So now I have to find a way to find a way to communicate to my neighbours, that we must get on with loving one another, behaving as we should at all times, but especially now.  I think that I am going to be up really late, as this is a toughie!  So...if any of you have any suggestions, I would be really happy to consider them!!  It has to be visual, simple, clear...  Something that hopefully everyone will “get” the general idea and it has to be easy enough for me to make... Don’t forget that last part!  I’m not the most clever person with my hands! My first glimpse of an idea is something that includes the Star of David and the Peace Symbol that is still shining out from the trees...  The missing and the general idea of acceptance, which is what the Peace Symbol grew from...  Just a little idea...  Anyone?

Thanks in advance – I know that you are all good people and that you are all clever people... 

Anne in Toronto

1)  Santa      Gone...
2)  Snowflake    Gone...
3)  GD Star    Gone...
4)  Candy Cane    Gone...
5)  Star of David    Gone...
6)  Construction Paper Loop Chain - red/green/yellow    Gone...
7)  Longer Construction Paper Loop Chain - red/green/white/blue    Gone...
8 ) Blue and White Peace Symbol    Gone...
9)  English Robin    Gone...
10) Empty tree    Still there...

Before anyone's blood pressure soars to new heights, let's just stop and think.  Although I encountered a sad scene this morning, although the children passing were disappointed, this bare tree tells a tale of it's own...

It had a visitor last night and for a reason unknown, this person decided that *he needed these things.  There was no destruction, debris.  Just the end result of someone muddled, who needed to have those 9 decorations more than the neighbourhood did.  Why?  We might never know...although...  But I'm sure he thought he had a good reason.   

Now, I know it can be judged as just plain wrong.  But if this person just didn't understand, has never had the sense of belonging to the neighbourhood , where are we then?

I just can't feel angry.  Sure, disappointed, but not angry.  How can I let 9 homemade objects get blown out of importance?  How can I see what happened as this person's fault?  I guess my answer is that I just can't, because the neighbourhood has plainly let this person down.  Apparently hasn't included him, has left him on the outside...  Or this would never have happened.

This is a funny old world.  Too often individuals fail to see the whole as just as important as the one.  We come across this every day.  So, this plain tree becomes a tiny, but telling model...  Therefore, I'm going to take this episode as the failure of the community to include all the people within it's grasp and, instead of sitting around, bemoaning the loss of a few tokens of affection, I am going to find a way to tell the neighbourhood what has happened.  So maybe we can make everyone in our community feel they are part of the whole.

And here is where Ei's brilliant idea comes into action: "find an appropriate picture or card that could be printed in many multiples, punch a hole, tie on a ribbon, and add it to the tree.  For each item that's removed, add X number of replacements without comment.  If it happens again, repeat."

I think you are right, Ei, I think that the message might well get through!  So, I guess I'd better get busy.  I think that I will hang up 9 "signs", with a picture and a message about community and all of us in it, and hang them on the tree.  And take it from there tomorrow, depending on the response.  What response, you say?  I don't know! *grin*  Will tell you when I do!  And thank you so much, Ei!!

Anne in Toronto    * It could just as easily been a she as a he!!

I haven't done anything tonight.  Just too tired after work, family obligations and, yes, some disappointment.  But, I just can't think badly about this brief episode.  It was lots of fun of me, while it lasted and for a few days some neighbours were cheered.  That's great in itself!

It's still early in December, so I've decided to wait a week or so and take another stab at this, because I am very fond of this area -- have lived here for 31 years and everyone has always been very kind and helpful to Kevin and I, and especially to me the last 8 months.  And I really like Ei's idea of a  "card", but I think, with so many people in my neigbourhood being new immigrants to Canada, I'm going to try to spread some light-hearted good feelings, emphasize general good will towards one's neighbours, despite our cultural differences.  Nothing heavy, just some good, light-hearted cheer!  After all, that's how it started out! 

Thanks for your support!

Anne in Toronto

Peregrines know no borders.....
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 23-Nov-12, 03:02:13 AM »

What fun to re-read all about Anne and her tree! Thanks for posting, Carol P.
Wing Goose
Tiercel

Like Count: 37

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-Nov-12, 06:47:23 PM »

Yes, thanks so much Carol for printing
the story of Anne's tree.  I had forgotten about it
until you reprinted it.  It was a lovely story,
even with Anne's forgiving of the person(s) who
helped themselves to the ornaments.
Happy Christmas to all.
                     glitter glitter
                            hugs, Lola

Lola
carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24-Nov-12, 06:06:10 AM »

Thanks Carol for posting ! It's a great story and very special memory!
I loved reading it again.

glitter
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-Nov-12, 09:08:07 AM »

I remember this too.  It was a cute story that she shared with us that year and I looked forward everyday to what the next day was going to bring.

Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 24-Nov-12, 10:44:49 AM »

Thanks, Carol, for sharing this great story again.  I also enjoyed Anne's adventures the first time, and like Lola, I was most astounded with Anne's forgiving spirit and her understanding that "Too often individuals fail to see the whole as just as important as the one."  And her commitment to spread cheer in her community.  Just an amazing person!
OlRedHair
Juvie

Like Count: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24-Nov-12, 06:49:53 PM »

Thank you so very much. This brings back truly wonderful memories.

Nora in NW Florida

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nora in Florida
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25-Nov-12, 12:54:54 AM »

Thanks Carol for posting ! It's a great story and very special memory!
I loved reading it again.

glitter

ditto
I too enjoyed re-reading and remembering Annie's post.  Thank you for reposting, Carol!   It is touching.
marytyson
Eyas

Like Count: 17

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26-Nov-12, 06:42:21 PM »

Annie was special indeed.  In spite of her own problems, she reached out to others.  And we were all richer for having known her.

Mary in Charlotte (NC)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: