THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 03:58:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mariah at Kodak Park and Archer & Beauty at Times Square  (Read 51633 times)
Judi
Juvie

Like Count: 43

African Fish Eagle

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 28-Sep-09, 10:42:18 PM »

Ok, finally found where everyone is hanging out!! Now that winter is coming, I wonder if Mariah will hang around there, or go somewhere else? What's been her pattern?

Good to see Shakey on board again - are you going to be doing your artistry again next year like you did for Mariah and Kaver? Boy, I sure miss Kaver - guess that's why I missed a lot of the action this year.   Cry

Linda
4 the Birds

Hi Linda!

Glad you found us!   clap

Congrats on your first post and have a Karma point! 

wave

Life's a dance, you learn as you go...sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow...
DianaR
Fluffball

Like Count: 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: 28-Sep-09, 10:43:54 PM »

By coincidence, I recently met someone who lives on Merrit and whose house faces the research building. If and when our paths cross again, and if it seems appropriate, I'll ask her to keep an eye out.

DianaR

DianaR
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: 29-Sep-09, 06:36:59 AM »

Congrats on your first post, Linda.

I hope to do some more ShakyPix next year if the cameras catch some good action in the nest box.
tielfeathers
Small Clutch

Like Count: 2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 29-Sep-09, 03:36:39 PM »

Hi Shakey

Hopefully there will be some good shots next year - I really missed your funny cartoons with those birds this past year!! They were priceless!

Talk to you later.

Linda
scotsman
Small Clutch

Like Count: 4

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 25-Feb-10, 10:44:58 AM »

Hi everyone..this is my first post!  wave

(I have been watching the Falcons since the early days of the Falconcan, probably about 2001, and have posted on some of the older forums..but this is my first post here.)

Hi, im Scot in Rochester..
The forum software suggested I might want to start a new thread, since this thread is "old"..but I thought it made more sense just to keep this thread going, since all the previous discussion and background info on Mariah's "northern territory" is already here..

I work in Building 59 at Kodak Park, (its the building immediately North of the Eastman Memorial, along Lake ave north of Ridge Road.)
I have lunch every day in a conference room on the 8th floor, which faces North.
the window has a perfect view of the Kodak research buildings and the gorge area where Mariah was spotted last Summer..

(Have there been any Mariah spottings in 2010 yet? probably not..but I havent scanned all the threads yet..)

I put together a photo you all might find interesting:

This will (hopefully) be Mariah's new territory!
im planning to bring binoculars into work!  Grin

Which reminds me of a question..
I have been to a few Falcon Watches down by Kodak Tower over the years, before the apartment building was built on top of the parking lot..so I think im fairly good at spotting Falcons from the ground...but what about a side-on view? From my vantage point on the 8th floor, I will often be at "eye level" with Hawks and Falcons...anyone have any good illustrations of how to spot a Falcon from a side view? (as opposed to a Hawk or other raptors and large birds)

thanks,
Scot
valhalla
« Reply #50 on: 25-Feb-10, 11:14:43 AM »

Welcome Scot!  This is a wonderful image - especially for those of us out of town.  Thanks for the effort and congrats on your first post! 2thumbsup
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: 25-Feb-10, 11:52:18 AM »

Scot, welcome to the Forum and congrats on your first post! Thanks for the aerial photo.

Mariah has been spotted in several locations north of the city including KP and Irondequoit. The only eye level view you'd probably every get would be of her perching on B83. She would most likely be on the edge of the roof or on the highest point on the building like the elevator machine room. She could also be on the east side of B81 looking down into the gorge for prey. I don't know if you'd be able to see her there from B59.
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 25-Feb-10, 12:18:02 PM »

Welcome Scot.  Thanks for the great aerial photo.  No, Mariah has not been spotted since late October in Irondequoit.  We don't know if she migrated and has not yet returned, or moved on to find a new nesting territory.  Many of us still search north of downtown looking for falcons. A juvenile was spotted there, and we recently had an adult on a Lake Avenue apartment building.

We seem to have falcons in Rochester coming and going right now as we prepare for the nesting season.  It will be wonderful to have another set of eyes (even from work).  If we have a nesting pair downtown this year, we are going to need all the help we can get.

As for raptor ID from a distance, sometimes it is difficult even for experienced watchers to tell if it is a falcon, hawk, or coop until we get a closer look.  A lot depends on lighting.  For me, it was just repeated watches.  Eventually I learned to see the differences in size, facial markings, coloration, wing shape and flight differences.  I even studied images online and other watchers photographs.

Joyce
scotsman
Small Clutch

Like Count: 4

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 01-Mar-10, 11:47:03 AM »

Thanks!
I will let you know if I see anything up here..

Scot

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 01-Mar-10, 12:07:15 PM »

Always good to have a Watcher in that area.  Thanks Scot!   clap

Thanks!
I will let you know if I see anything up here..

Scot

Peregrines know no borders.....
countrygal25
Pipping

Like Count: 10

Seneca in the gorge!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 04-Mar-10, 07:12:25 AM »

wave Good morning all. It's been awhile since I posted. Where/what can I help out with PF watching?
I have a golden opportunity to help  2thumbsup It's something I have wanted to do since I started watching the cam back in 2001.

I live right off Lake Ave in the Charlotte area about 8 minutes from the KP area and am among
the many  "displaced workers" at the moment.   

Thanks for all you do and for the wonderful pix!!!!    star star star

falcon2
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 04-Mar-10, 07:28:11 AM »

You are most welcome Coutrygal.  We can certainly use the help.  Any time you can check out the KP area or come downtown and report what you see would be great.  Especially during the week when many of the Watchers are working.  Now with the nest site moving downtown from the KO area, it's going to be really hard to keep an eye on them.  Right now we're not really sure what's going on.  We really need eyes on the situation.  It's always interesting.   happy

If you're downtown, and you see someone with binocs and cameras, don't hesitate to ask them if they're watching the Falcons. 

wave Good morning all. It's been awhile since I posted. Where/what can I help out with PF watching?
I have a golden opportunity to help  2thumbsup It's something I have wanted to do since I started watching the cam back in 2001.

I live right off Lake Ave in the Charlotte area about 8 minutes from the KP area and am among
the many  "displaced workers" at the moment.   

Thanks for all you do and for the wonderful pix!!!!    star star star

falcon2

huddiecat
Juvie

Like Count: 44

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 08-Mar-10, 08:43:50 AM »

So is Mariah still being seen at Kodak park this year?? 
Suzanne
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 08-Mar-10, 09:40:35 AM »

Suzanne

Hey Suzanne,
No Mariah sighting since end of October.  Sorry to say.

valhalla
« Reply #59 on: 08-Mar-10, 10:21:09 AM »

Suzanne

Hey Suzanne,
No Mariah sighting since end of October.  Sorry to say.

Bummer Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: