THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 12:36:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eagles 4 kids webcam  (Read 29997 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07-Mar-14, 10:36:41 AM »

no  Say it ain't so!  pray

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07-Mar-14, 10:47:11 AM »

The intruder pair now have control of the nest.  They're reporting that the male has blood on his neck so maybe Larry attacked him in the nest yesterday vs being attacked.  Talon was going out this AM to try and locate Larry and Lucy.  Here's some videos from the website:

http://www.eagles4kids.com/daily-updates/ 

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07-Mar-14, 12:14:23 PM »

Holding my ears, I don't want to hear this! So sad for both L & L. I hope they get the nest back! Very sad!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09-Mar-14, 09:23:25 PM »

A NEW DAY AND A NEW TWIST
I know many of you are asking for an update. Here is what I know today. I drove around for miles and miles this morning, looking for Lucy. No luck. It doesn't mean she isn't there, just not that I could see. I did not see much on camera before I left this morning. Then when I stopped and got online, I got a message from someone asking if it is possible that Larry is here. I have been doing some digging into the archives. It is my belief as it is many others that Larry indeed is here, and seemingly has accepted this other female. I would rather not go back to the events of the other night. That is over. I do not know about "the other male" nor do I really care. I did see another eagle perched not far from the nest in a clear cut this morning while one of the eagles was on the nest. I only know that because I made a call to verify if any eagle was there. I could not ID that eagle, and do not think it was Lucy. When my search was finished and about ready to leave the valley, two eagles came down from a sharp dive and into the nest around 10:30. Little did I know from a distance that Larry was there.

Many are going to ask why or how Larry could do this to Lucy. Eagles are driven to do one thing: reproduce. I do not have a solid answer that will make people happy. Maybe Larry sensed that Lucy was infertile and chose to go another direction. I cannot rule out a fight between females either. I cannot say she is alive, however that is what I believe. She is one smart eagle and more than likely she knew her place now, and could not fight to save her nest. As cam viewers we watch and become emotionally connected, especially in the events leading up to the other day. It is important to try and separate our emotions, if we can.

We will continue to observe, and learn. Two eagles were seen mating at the top of a pine tree yesterday. It could have been Larry at that time. I will not get into "naming" of the new eagle at this time. The students know this as well. Let's just see how things go. We all need time to let this all sink in. I hope people read all the updates and watch the videos. It is ok to have differing opinions but in light of the events it won't do any good to debate. Let's let nature take care of this and continue to observe, be amazed and know how lucky we are to have a window into a wild eagle nest.
Eagle on!

Darrin Briggs ~ E4K

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23-Mar-14, 07:12:31 PM »

Since the intruder female took over the nest and bonded with Larry, there had been no sign of Lucy, although many were looking for her almost on a daily basis. This was posted on the FB page, We Love Our Lucy, today with a pic:

Good news! Sue Schneider got this photo in Arcadia and Christine Stange blew it up....we think it most likely is Lucy! Thank you, Sue, for going out to look for her. And thank you, Chris, for helping us ID this wonderful eagle! It is such a relief to know she is ok!

clap
« Last Edit: 23-Mar-14, 07:54:38 PM by Kris G. » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23-Mar-14, 07:17:54 PM »

Glad she is OK....still feel bad for her. Those man Eagles!!! 

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23-Mar-14, 07:50:48 PM »

Me too. I couldn't believe he abandoned her to take up with new female after everything they've both been through this past year.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23-Mar-14, 07:56:46 PM »

Now I just read that people on Eagles4kids FB page think this Eagle has 2 feet and they can't say that this is Lucy.  Bummer...I really had hoped this was her.   Sad

NoraH
Juvie

Like Count: 26

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24-Mar-14, 12:31:05 AM »

Me too. I couldn't believe he abandoned her to take up with new female after everything they've both been through this past year.
I'm hoping it's her, but really can't tell from the picture.  Why do people keep saying Larry abandoned her?  It's just like the peregrines and Lucy may have beat a lot of odds in the last year, but she sure couldn't fight another big female and males most times would fight the males.  Male eagles pick a nest spot and do a lot of the building and share it with their female.  He was protecting and staying with his nest.  We see the peregrines fight and whichever one wins stays with the mate that is there already, both the male and female don't leave normally.  I hate to see what happened and do worry about her, but we all know from the sounds of things she also was not the original Lucy, what happened to the first one?  I'm sorry, I'm not directing this at you Kris, or anyone in particular, just venting about the situation.  I DO hope someone can find and get a good picture of Lucy just so we know.  Sad
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24-Mar-14, 05:57:30 AM »

I'm hoping it's her, but really can't tell from the picture.  Why do people keep saying Larry abandoned her?  It's just like the peregrines and Lucy may have beat a lot of odds in the last year, but she sure couldn't fight another big female and males most times would fight the males.  Male eagles pick a nest spot and do a lot of the building and share it with their female.  He was protecting and staying with his nest.  We see the peregrines fight and whichever one wins stays with the mate that is there already, both the male and female don't leave normally.  I hate to see what happened and do worry about her, but we all know from the sounds of things she also was not the original Lucy, what happened to the first one?  I'm sorry, I'm not directing this at you Kris, or anyone in particular, just venting about the situation.  I DO hope someone can find and get a good picture of Lucy just so we know.  Sad

I understand exactly what you are saying Nora, it's just the way it is in the bird world. As humans, we may not like it and we have an over flow of emotions about it all. I'm sure Lucy understands more than us about all this and knows what she must do to protect herself! If she was well, she would have fought for that nest. I just feel kind of sad for her.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24-Mar-14, 07:37:35 AM »

More drama: Intruder!

http://youtu.be/qIoI2lNkIDY  New Female went left & Larry went right

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24-Mar-14, 09:14:59 AM »

I understand exactly what you are saying Nora, it's just the way it is in the bird world. As humans, we may not like it and we have an over flow of emotions about it all. I'm sure Lucy understands more than us about all this and knows what she must do to protect herself! If she was well, she would have fought for that nest. I just feel kind of sad for her.

I wasn't aware of this but chat people said that Lucy had started to defecate in the nest so there was speculation that she wasn't well.  Larry could have sensed this and went for the stronger female, the one that had the highest chance of reproduction and Lucy probably knew she couldn't fight so she, hopefully, left on her own accord. I just felt, as many did, that he was so good to her during her severe foot injury, taking care of her and providing her with food, that he flipped mates so fast.  Bonded pairs like Eagles usually do mate for life but, as we have discovered here, mating for life, which was thought to be the norm for Peregrines, just isn't so.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23-Feb-15, 05:10:43 PM »

9:11 a.m. in Wisconsin and Blair is still incubating. She calls out for relief but nobody's coming. It's my assumption that "Mister" sent Taylor packing. frown emoticon Don't quote me; just my assumption.
Social Stream on the site is saying that this is nature: "Mister" knows the egg isn't his so he's having no part of incubating. Speculation is that if "Mister" and Blair mate, which there is time yet, maybe he'll "get" it; it's assumed he is a young male, probably a first try at mating.
All we can do is watch, wait and pray. I miss Lucy and Larry terribly but feel bad for the kids who are watching. They're missing the excitement of having viable eggs, chicks, etc. Let's keep them in our hearts. heart emoticon.

2-22-15
Blair needed to leave this morning. Eagles use a lot of energy in sub zero temperatures even when they do not do much moving around. They need to keep their body temperatures up and food equals energy. While this is not a good situation to be in, Blair needs to eat, and will see to her own survival first. This is nature and we realize it can be difficult to watch. We understand if you turn yourself off from watching.

This just in from E4K: Blair just laid a 2nd egg around 5 pm. "Mister is there. . . " Fingers crossed, everybody!
(apparently, Mister is not the dad) and he won't help incubate the eggs that are not his. May be a young male.

Today:2-20
DAY 2...ALMOST A WRAP.
It is snowing, and Blair was still incubating. Females tend to do the incubating in snowy/rainy weather. So, this is normal. She got up and left it and the male that many are calling "Mister" right now came in. We were hoping that he would take over but he seems to not make up his mind. This is normal.
If we are right, and the egg is Taylor's he would rather it be his genes in this clutch. He is not in daddy mode yet and may still be looking to bond. Blair is in mommy mode. For success, they need to get in synch. It may not happen. Blair will not starve. If she needs to eat to survive, she will, and she will leave the egg unattended. We have seen this happen at other nests. If "Mister" can somehow get in daddy mode, and adopt this egg, there is a chance for success. If not, it's simple. We will not have a hatch with this clutch. If it does fail there is still time for a 2nd clutch for Blair and "Mister."
Mister did bring in some food today. That is a positive sign. However, he has not joined in on incubating.

WLOL: Sounds like the "baby daddy" flew the coop and "Mister" is left to play dad. Hopefully he gets in the "dad mode" and he and Blair can have their own egg together. Hoping this couple will get at least one viable egg for these students.
Please go to the E4K FB page for videos.
Sounds like the "baby daddy" didn't stick around. D

More news....and sadly, drama: 2-19-15
NEST UPDATE
Last Thursday and Friday we know that Blair and Taylor mated. Saturday rolled around and Taylor was a no show and still is. Friday night we had the attack and some questions still surround that episode. Was it Taylor attacking or was it this male we are seeing that attacked the mature eagle on the nest? I think it was Taylor but am not certain. Next, if it was Taylor, was he injured in the attack as he hit hard and that is the reason we do not see him? Or, did the male that we see simply chase him off? Sorry, no answers. Still no sighting of Taylor since then.
Last night we were all elated at the sight of the first egg of 2015. This morning when there wasn't the traditional changing of the guard where the male takes over incubation, worry immediately set in. There was an attempt by the male to mate with Blair or it was a sign that he wanted to incubate, and she wasn't having any of it. So, it was more likely a sign that he wanted to mate knowing this was not his egg. He stayed for quite some time, and finally left. Later this afternoon, she called out and the male flew to the side branch and she left to the front perch. The male did not respond and come to incubate. By the way, I could hear everyone cheering him on, but he was not listening. This is not a good sign. Time will tell but she will have to eventually go and eat. It is still very cold. There continues to be more questions than answers. I do not have a crystal ball. At this time, just please know that I am praying for a Cinderella story as you all.

Very confusing and hope all works out but if she has to leave the eggs to hunt for herself, the eggs may not hatch with these cold temps!!    Pray all works out with this nest!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23-Feb-15, 06:22:43 PM »

9:11 a.m. in Wisconsin and Blair is still incubating. She calls out for relief but nobody's coming. It's my assumption that "Mister" sent Taylor packing. frown emoticon Don't quote me; just my assumption.
Social Stream on the site is saying that this is nature: "Mister" knows the egg isn't his so he's having no part of incubating. Speculation is that if "Mister" and Blair mate, which there is time yet, maybe he'll "get" it; it's assumed he is a young male, probably a first try at mating.
All we can do is watch, wait and pray. I miss Lucy and Larry terribly but feel bad for the kids who are watching. They're missing the excitement of having viable eggs, chicks, etc. Let's keep them in our hearts. heart emoticon.

2-22-15
Blair needed to leave this morning. Eagles use a lot of energy in sub zero temperatures even when they do not do much moving around. They need to keep their body temperatures up and food equals energy. While this is not a good situation to be in, Blair needs to eat, and will see to her own survival first. This is nature and we realize it can be difficult to watch. We understand if you turn yourself off from watching.

This just in from E4K: Blair just laid a 2nd egg around 5 pm. "Mister is there. . . " Fingers crossed, everybody!
(apparently, Mister is not the dad) and he won't help incubate the eggs that are not his. May be a young male.

Today:2-20
DAY 2...ALMOST A WRAP.
It is snowing, and Blair was still incubating. Females tend to do the incubating in snowy/rainy weather. So, this is normal. She got up and left it and the male that many are calling "Mister" right now came in. We were hoping that he would take over but he seems to not make up his mind. This is normal.
If we are right, and the egg is Taylor's he would rather it be his genes in this clutch. He is not in daddy mode yet and may still be looking to bond. Blair is in mommy mode. For success, they need to get in synch. It may not happen. Blair will not starve. If she needs to eat to survive, she will, and she will leave the egg unattended. We have seen this happen at other nests. If "Mister" can somehow get in daddy mode, and adopt this egg, there is a chance for success. If not, it's simple. We will not have a hatch with this clutch. If it does fail there is still time for a 2nd clutch for Blair and "Mister."
Mister did bring in some food today. That is a positive sign. However, he has not joined in on incubating.

WLOL: Sounds like the "baby daddy" flew the coop and "Mister" is left to play dad. Hopefully he gets in the "dad mode" and he and Blair can have their own egg together. Hoping this couple will get at least one viable egg for these students.
Please go to the E4K FB page for videos.
Sounds like the "baby daddy" didn't stick around. D

More news....and sadly, drama: 2-19-15
NEST UPDATE
Last Thursday and Friday we know that Blair and Taylor mated. Saturday rolled around and Taylor was a no show and still is. Friday night we had the attack and some questions still surround that episode. Was it Taylor attacking or was it this male we are seeing that attacked the mature eagle on the nest? I think it was Taylor but am not certain. Next, if it was Taylor, was he injured in the attack as he hit hard and that is the reason we do not see him? Or, did the male that we see simply chase him off? Sorry, no answers. Still no sighting of Taylor since then.
Last night we were all elated at the sight of the first egg of 2015. This morning when there wasn't the traditional changing of the guard where the male takes over incubation, worry immediately set in. There was an attempt by the male to mate with Blair or it was a sign that he wanted to incubate, and she wasn't having any of it. So, it was more likely a sign that he wanted to mate knowing this was not his egg. He stayed for quite some time, and finally left. Later this afternoon, she called out and the male flew to the side branch and she left to the front perch. The male did not respond and come to incubate. By the way, I could hear everyone cheering him on, but he was not listening. This is not a good sign. Time will tell but she will have to eventually go and eat. It is still very cold. There continues to be more questions than answers. I do not have a crystal ball. At this time, just please know that I am praying for a Cinderella story as you all.

Very confusing and hope all works out but if she has to leave the eggs to hunt for herself, the eggs may not hatch with these cold temps!!    Pray all works out with this nest!

It's sad to watch..she has no support from this male.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24-Feb-15, 09:59:37 AM »

8:23 am and Blair is on the nest. Light snow and 23 degrees. Softly calling for Mister....or Taylor? Social Stream says he was there earlier, but no mention of food. Loren Allen, thank you for reporting that you had watched all day and it was not Mister that brought the food; she got it herself. But I've been told they mated, so maybe in a few days we'll have an egg that Mister will help with.
I agree with all of you: it is so sad to see/hear her on the nest trying to incubate by herself.
I'm no eagle expert, but from what I've read, Mister will not accept another male's egg as his own. That said, if she lays another egg, now from him, his parenting skills may kick in. We can only hope. Blair  heart

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: