THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 12:19:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photo of Crossroads Building Jan 27  (Read 18627 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27-Jan-13, 06:43:28 PM »

While waiting for photos and videos to upload and for me to write my report I thought I'd post the pic of the bird on Crossroads.

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27-Jan-13, 07:03:44 PM »

It seems like a very strange pose for a peregrine, living or dead, to be in. The proportions seem strange -- where is the tail? -- and there seems to be a light spot on one of the wings. It also seems wider than I would expect a peregrine to be.  It's a mystery.

Paul

All the watchers that were downtown believe it is a peregrine.

After finding Beauty eating on the Widow's Walk, and letting MAK know where she was, we (Kathy O, Lisa McK, Dana and I) went over to get a look at the bird on the Cross Rds Bldg.  Dark tail and yellow feet for sure, but I cannot be 100% sure it is a Peregrine.  I'm not saying it isn't a Peregrine, it may be.  I hope it's not.  This is just my opinion.  Guess, we'll all have to wait and see.

Very happy to hear that Pigott and BST were seen today.  Thanks for checking on them MAK!   happy 

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27-Jan-13, 07:16:03 PM »

That pic reminds me of the one MAK took of Archer on the B & L back in March of last year.

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28-Jan-13, 06:12:00 AM »

if it is a falcon can you tell if its an adult or a juvie? Now I'm worried about Orion  scared blue
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28-Jan-13, 07:19:07 AM »

So anxious to hear any developments about this. Thanks, Watchers!
DebbieB
Fluffball

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31-Jan-13, 12:26:37 PM »

Any word on the bird?
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31-Jan-13, 02:30:52 PM »

Any word on the bird?

No word about the dead bird on Crossroads.  Sad

-John Burroughs
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05-Feb-13, 01:02:07 PM »

June Summers president of Genesee Valley Audubon Society (GVAS) asked me to post the following on our forum for her.

"I know that you have all been waiting to find out about the dead bird that was on the ledge of the Crossroads Building a week ago.  Patience is a virtue some of us need more of. Despite my instructions, several people contacted the management of the Crossroads Building.   The DEC called the Crossroads management and asked to come up to go on the roof.  By the time the DEC technician got there, a few hours later, the manager had changed his mind because, they had spent enough time on the issue. The DEC can force private property owner to allow them on their property.  It seems several people had called before the DEC, taking time away from the manager’s work.   The actions of these people have cost us the chance to find out if this bird was a Peregrine Falcon or if it had a band. 
We need to remember that Peregrine Falcons are Federal listed threatened species and a New York State listed endangered species.  Under both laws, regulations prohibit harassment of live birds and/or possession dead birds for example.   So you see it is not the DEC that does not allow us to run around picking up dead Peregrines, it is the law.   We need to obey the law and let the DEC do their job.  Sometime that requires patience." 

June

What a shame we won't find out about this bird!  Sad

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05-Feb-13, 02:34:58 PM »

This is sad but who has the bird? It's not there anymore.  Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05-Feb-13, 02:43:48 PM »

June said in her statement that the DEC can force a private property owner to allow them on the property but I believe that is incorrect. I don't think they can force them which is the reason we can't get a nest box at the Brighton Site. I'll have to find out if this is correct so don't quote me at this time.  Roll Eyes

-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05-Feb-13, 02:55:42 PM »

I wish we could at least have known who this bird was. Very sad that this won't happen.
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 05-Feb-13, 02:56:16 PM »

June said in her statement that the DEC can force a private property owner to allow them on the property but I believe that is incorrect. I don't think they can force them which is the reason we can't get a nest box at the Brighton Site. I'll have to find out if this is correct so don't quote me at this time.  Roll Eyes

Typo. No doubt she meant "can't."
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05-Feb-13, 03:37:37 PM »

I wonder-if they can (if it wasn't a typo), why didn't the official show their authority?  Who would have harrassed the building manager so much after we were all told by June in a previous post to be patient?  Why say the DEC official can go see if the bird is up there and then when the official shows up, change their mind in letting them have access to the roof? Lots of questions. Just a shame that there will never be an answer to this.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05-Feb-13, 03:45:50 PM »

I wonder-if they can (if it wasn't a typo), why didn't the official show their authority?  Who would have harrassed the building manager so much after we were all told by June in a previous post to be patient?  Why say the DEC official can go see if the bird is up there and then when the official shows up, change their mind in letting them have access to the roof? Lots of questions. Just a shame that there will never be an answer to this.

Like I said, the bird disappeared! Someone knows something!

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 05-Feb-13, 04:45:56 PM »

I wonder-if they can (if it wasn't a typo), why didn't the official show their authority? 

Exactly. If the technician had the authority, s/he would have gone up there. S/he didn't because s/he couldn't. Evidence of a typo proven. Case closed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: