THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 01:55:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ms Harvey, the Great Horned Owl cam  (Read 21672 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 05-Feb-13, 09:52:40 AM »

http://www.livewildlifecams.com/Ms%20Harvey.html

Her story:

Ms Harvey, the great horned owl, came to the Feather Wildlife Rehabilitation center in May 1997 as a bird taken in illegal activity.   She was raised by humans and we did not think she would make a release when she was able to fly.  But she proved us wrong and flew and killed and was released in fall of 1997. She wears a US Fish and Wildlife band on her right leg, #599-10043.
She continued to stay in the area of where she was released and showed up on occasion.  We  put food out for her so she would stay here to get a good start.   That was the start of our “perk” with a great horned female owl.
  Starting in 2003 she started to lay eggs on top on another owl cage and they rolled off.  So we put up a bushel basket and she took it for her nest in 2004 and brought off one baby owl.
  Now the male she chose does not incubate the eggs when she gets off the nest to eat, etc.  So there are many years when the eggs freeze.   But each year we get young great horned owls that we can not put back in the nest, so until they can fly we put them in with our surrogate great horned. When the time is right we put them in the air by the nest and Ms Harvey takes over from there. 
  In 2009 she raised two young to about 2 weeks and both of them were predated, possibly by coons. In 2010 she had a late hatch and brought off two young.  Each year has a story to tell about the nest and the activity. In 2011 she again lost the first clutch and re nested two weeks later and brought off one chick.   We gave her two more young  owls to raise. One of them is still here food begging.
We have been blessed to have this bird in our lives and now wish to share it with all of you on the internet.  So many good things are happening all around us if we just pay attention.

She lost her 1st egg but has laid another.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05-Feb-13, 10:56:44 AM »

Great story and cam!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-Feb-13, 02:59:20 PM »

A very persistent owl! Thank you for sharing this story.  thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-Feb-13, 07:43:28 PM »

Thanks for sharing.Very special story.And another great cam to watch !
Wing Goose
Tiercel

Like Count: 37

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-Feb-13, 06:22:11 PM »

Thank you for the wonderful story. 
What dedication by Ms Harvey!
                yippee yippee
                       Lola

Lola
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-Feb-13, 09:44:16 PM »

#2 egg for Ms. Harvey today!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27-Apr-13, 06:46:21 PM »

None of Ms. Harvey's eggs hatched this year but she's just been given a baby to foster! Hope things go well!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27-Apr-13, 07:43:35 PM »

None of Ms. Harvey's eggs hatched this year but she's just been given a baby to foster! Hope things go well!

Aw!!  baby

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-Apr-13, 07:48:43 PM »

Mrs. Harvey needs to see her new baby! They are giving her 24 hours to accept it, if not, they will remove the baby!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-Apr-13, 08:02:59 PM »

Mrs. Harvey needs to see her new baby! They are giving her 24 hours to accept it, if not, they will remove the baby!

She's fostered several before so hopefully she will accept this new one!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27-Apr-13, 08:23:06 PM »

She's fostered several before so hopefully she will accept this new one!

Hope it all goes well, now I'm glued to the cam!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-Apr-13, 10:04:07 PM »

OH BOY, I think he jumped out of the box. he was up on the ledge, no Mrs H yet, then suddenly the cams were turned off. They all think he fell again. Stupid me to watch this too!  Sad

OK, the story is, he was just about to jump, so they turned the cams off, went out, grabbed him and put him with another Mom GHO, who also has adopted owletts. Her name is Baum!  PHEW!!!
« Last Edit: 27-Apr-13, 10:15:47 PM by Donna » Logged

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-Apr-13, 10:49:52 PM »

OH BOY, I think he jumped out of the box. he was up on the ledge, no Mrs H yet, then suddenly the cams were turned off. They all think he fell again. Stupid me to watch this too!  Sad

OK, the story is, he was just about to jump, so they turned the cams off, went out, grabbed him and put him with another Mom GHO, who also has adopted owletts. Her name is Baum!  PHEW!!!

I saw him on the ledge and couldn't watch!  I saw on chat that Baum would foster if this didn't work so glad they placed him there!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-Apr-13, 10:57:04 PM »

I saw him on the ledge and couldn't watch!  I saw on chat that Baum would foster if this didn't work so glad they placed him there!

Me too! Man, my heart pounded!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29-Apr-13, 02:24:18 PM »

The little jumper from Saturday night!! When we brought the baby down from the nest box at 9 pm, we did not have time to put pine needles in the nest box in this cage. We just opened the door and put the baby in, in the dark..This is the baby owl we got from the Princeton area and tried to put back in the nest box, that did not work, so it ended up with Baum until it is flighted. Baum is feeding and protecting it from me for now.

Baum and her new adoptee!

This is what happens when anyone walks past this cage now with the baby in it. Baum is a very protective bird when it comes to "her" baby. You have to be very careful when going past her home. She lost her right eye in the car injury, but that does stop her from being one mean owl.

Baum was a car hit and was picked up by Don over 10 years ago. We needed some owl feathers to imp another owl that was ready for release. This bird was thought to be dead and was in the cap of Dons truck, when she started to come to and her talons were working. I got a call and Don said "come and get this dead owl" She now lives in a 12 x 16 cage and gets fresh food every night.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: