THE FORUM

18-Apr-24, 11:19:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buffalo Falcon News 2013  (Read 111381 times)
cshunters32
Fluffball

Like Count: 2

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 18-Mar-13, 01:29:34 PM »

It's a deep hole.  Evaporation would have dried it out by now. I'm calling it an optical illusion.   surprise

Sorry for the previous post.

Carl
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 18-Mar-13, 01:51:59 PM »

carly, yes, that was odd. But coming into nesting season, Gleig had been hanging out at her nestbox, and Diamante would usually perch above where he had a good view. The nest side of the tower also protect them from the fierce winds that roar through the spot, in that the tower stands alone and on considerably higher ground than anything else in the vicinity.

With migrating pefas which would be likely to check out this high spot, they may well be on high alert, but this is mating/nesting season now, not November, which makes me suspicious. We have to confirm the bands, then I'll relax!  Wink

To make matters worse, work in being done on the building, today, on the nest side. which is likely adding to the problem, but this may be a bad year for CT because they will be retiling the whole roof. It may almost be better if they don't nest there this year, yeh, right, because roofing and fledging will not be a good mix.

If eggs are at the site, i don't think they can continue work on the building

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 18-Mar-13, 02:04:46 PM »

carly, yes, that was odd. But coming into nesting season, Gleig had been hanging out at her nestbox, and Diamante would usually perch above where he had a good view. The nest side of the tower also protect them from the fierce winds that roar through the spot, in that the tower stands alone and on considerably higher ground than anything else in the vicinity.

With migrating pefas which would be likely to check out this high spot, they may well be on high alert, but this is mating/nesting season now, not November, which makes me suspicious. We have to confirm the bands, then I'll relax!  Wink

To make matters worse, work in being done on the building, today, on the nest side. which is likely adding to the problem, but this may be a bad year for CT because they will be retiling the whole roof. It may almost be better if they don't nest there this year, yeh, right, because roofing and fledging will not be a good mix.

Jeanne-Sage told me the building owners can do whatever they want, even if Peregrines are nesting there.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 18-Mar-13, 04:00:11 PM »

Jeanne-Sage told me the building owners can do whatever they want, even if Peregrines are nesting there.

when Kodak removed the nestbox, I think they could have removed the eggs.  However, that might be a case by case basis because I think it becomes a protected area with eggs.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
cshunters32
Fluffball

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 18-Mar-13, 05:02:45 PM »

Snow Falcon Prints - female.

More Photos on Facebook -  Peregrine Place Group.

Carl
cshunters32
Fluffball

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 18-Mar-13, 05:28:47 PM »

Look at the foot size difference.
~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: 18-Mar-13, 06:33:29 PM »

At UB this morning, UF was perched on a ledge with Y above, on opposite side from nest. UF likes to go to water tower and sometimes Y is seen on nestbox perch looking in direction of WT. Later today they were in box bowing to each other. Smiley

At CT, this is the only bird we could get though at one point, I saw two fly off. This pefa appears to have black bands, but I had to drop to 3mp to get it so it's not very good.

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 19-Mar-13, 07:28:36 PM »

Yankee and the new, unbanded female both visited the nest box today:

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 19-Mar-13, 07:37:25 PM »

Both were in the nest box briefly:

cshunters32
Fluffball

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 20-Mar-13, 07:09:06 PM »

Uneventful day today 3.20.13 was. The new female didn't frequent the box as often today.  Yankee took care of the apartment most of the day calling for her - with no response to visit the box. Not sure what type of indicator that may be. 

Did the snow in the nesting box put her off?  Is she not interested and will be moving on?  Stay tuned folks. It's been 5 days since she first showed up.  Maybe her vacation is over?

All I know is we need another cam and audio. Will be working on this this coming year.

Carl
cshunters32
Fluffball

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 22-Mar-13, 09:18:29 PM »

Cams were up and down all day. Visited Mackay around 6pm today. Female on top tier of stack facing Winspear keeping warm in the heat coming off the chimney.

Introduced several UB MBA students to the UB Cam and peregrines. They had no idea the nestbox and falcons were there. What do they teach in that school anyway? Wink
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 24-Mar-13, 04:33:33 PM »

Since the cams have been down a few times lately, I haven't seen much activity at the nest, but I just caught a fleeting visit.

The nest was empty, until suddenly there were two:

The female took off towards the left:

Yankee followed in the same direction.

cshunters32
Fluffball

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 27-Mar-13, 09:48:16 AM »

Three items:

1. Statler Falcons (Buffalo) - For several trips to Downtown Buffalo and the Statler, pefas did not reveal themselves - I glassed all around the Statler, City Hall, and Liberty Buildings.  Yesterday 3/26 after returning from some business at City Hall I walked to my car via Niagara Square and looked down to find a perfectly picked over bird wing case intact - minus the head and body.  Neatly picked over and fresh - I thought - good sign as they are near by.

2. Statler (later in the afternoon 3/26) I returned to attend a function at the Convention Center - upon exiting I chatted with two Erie County Sheriffs were on mounted horseback. As I looked up to the Statler nesting platform, a Pefa came by and landed on the perch and started calling out loudly.  The Sheriffs were knowledgable about the falcons and said they fly all around the area.

3. UB Mackay (Buffalo) - This morning the new unbanded female and Yankee were in the nest box and bowing for a very long time.  Much longer than other observations.  She was clearly submissive to Yankee, who appeared to be running the show.  At time she froze and didn't move a muscle for a minute or two at a time. Some times they both froze for a minute. But she was clearly submission to him.  It's interesting watching and learning.

Carl
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 27-Mar-13, 10:08:13 AM »

Thanks, Carl! I read on FB yesterday that Diamanté is no longer at CT-another male is there with Gleig.  That's sad news if true.  Any idea who the new male is?

cshunters32
Fluffball

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 27-Mar-13, 10:49:44 AM »

No idea who replaced Diamante. When I went there a few days ago I only saw Glieg. I need a good scope or camera - I'm just using 10x50 binocs.

Interesting development as the pair of Pefas near the waterfront and found often at the ADM elevators near the Buffalo Bison Rod and Gun Club (Ohio and St. Claire Sts.) have not been seen in a few weeks.  Wondering if they broke up and the female found Yankee and the male found Glieg.

Carl
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: