THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 02:38:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Syracuse Falcons  (Read 142402 times)
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 30-Jun-14, 10:04:55 PM »

So precious!!!! heart heart heart heart heart

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 30-Jun-14, 10:34:19 PM »

Great pics, Joyce!  I'm very happy for Pigott and her baby, Barb, is beautiful!  Wonder if people there will give her mate a name too?

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 01-Jul-14, 08:40:23 AM »

Fledge Watch Report 6/30/14
Arrived at 5:30 AM and stayed until 7. Saw Pigott bring breakfast to Barb. She tried to entice Barb to fly up to the next higher level above the nest box, but when Barb refused to budge, Pigott flew around the building and landed 10 feet away on one of the pillars at the nest box level. Barb had to hop-fly (not a real flight) to get breakfast. Pigott was sparing with the meal and flew off to Chase bank with the remainder. Barb laid down and I left at 7:30.
Arrived back downtown about 2:30 PM. Jeff Gilka had kept an eye on the Peregrines off and on during the morning. Barb had begun traveling again along the balcony parapet from the nest box on the northeast corner to the northwest corner and around to the last pedestal where she laid down again. Just before I got there she began traveling back to the nest box area where she remained until after 3. She got restless between 3 and 4 and when Pigott and the male began circling the building, Barb began ledge hopping, this time actually taking short flights of about 8 to 10 feet between pillars. She actually launched out and flew from one to the next all the way to the end and back. After that, she laid down again and slept until 6PM.
Barb got hungry around 6, but both parents ignored her. Dad only 30 feet away on the east facia, and Pigott on the Verizon tower. Dad left at 7PM. Around 8PM, Pigott flew off Verizon and was soon seen on the top of Bank America. Dad returned shortly thereafter with dinner (a huge pigeon breast). He landed next to the nest box perch. Barb was screaming at him as he approached and landed. She leaped off the outer perch and attacked, demanding the food. She looked really angry as she grabbed it and wrenched it away. Dad backed off and went up on the perch to watch while Barb devoured the pigeon.
Watchers tonight were myself, Diane Green, Adriene Call (sorry if I don't get it correct), Paul and Linda Pflanz. Paul took a ton of pictures. He promised to share some which I'll post later. Jeff Gilka had to leave around 5, but he had some pictures which he may share later as well.

George Marleau   Syracuse fb page

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01-Jul-14, 09:01:13 AM »

Barb took. Her first flight this morning. Pigott was right with her ...will write more later

I am all alone down in Hanover Square...someone help!!!

Susan Lowe Wrisley fb  Feel bad they don't have many watchers!  Sad

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: 01-Jul-14, 09:12:01 AM »

Go, Barb!  Don't feel bad about very few watchers.  I did Jersey City solo for 9 days. 

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 01-Jul-14, 09:30:22 AM »

Go, Barb!  Don't feel bad about very few watchers.  I did Jersey City solo for 9 days. 

You are a trooper Bonnie, I'd be a wreck!!!

huddiecat
Juvie

Like Count: 44

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 14-Jul-14, 01:37:54 PM »

This is what I posted on the Syracuse Falcon Facebook page about our watch yesterday, between storms and such.  Don took some pics of Pigott which I will post.

Suzanne

Yesterday morning, about 7:45, Don and I went downtown.  We started near the Axa building as that is where Pigott and Barb have recently been seen.  We saw Pigott on the roof of 499 Warren, eating.  When she was done, she flew to the Hotel Syracuse roof.  We lost sight of her.

About a half hour later, we saw Pigott and another falcon, believe it was the male, flying around the State Tower.  Off we went back to our favorite viewing spot of the Tower/nest box, the Bank of America parking lot.  Pigott was perched on the bar in front of the nest box.  She eventually took off and flew low overhead...wow!  Then back to the Axa building.  I think she remembered us from Rochester.  We lost sight of the male and still hadn't seen Barb yet.

We drove back down to the Axa/Hotel Syracuse area and found Pigott on the corner of the building.  We heard a "kak kak" and saw the shadow of a second falcon, presumed it was Barb.  Pigott then took off for 500 South Salina Street, but we lost sight of Barb.

By then it was around 11 am, so we headed off for a bio break and lunch.  We returned about 1 pm, after a brief t-storm/shower, but didn't see any falcons this time.  Actually didn't see any pigeons flying either.  We left downtown about 3 pm.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 15-Jul-14, 05:57:20 AM »

2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 15-Jul-14, 08:35:49 AM »

So happy you were able to find Pigott and her fledgling!  I can't wait to visit with her.  It's been such a long time since I've seen her.   heart wub2

Peregrines know no borders.....
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 15-Jul-14, 05:07:23 PM »

Look who is home and on cam right now  heart

« Last Edit: 15-Jul-14, 05:25:25 PM by carly » Logged
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 15-Jul-14, 11:22:01 PM »

thumbsup  Aw, thanks Carly!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 16-Jul-14, 05:32:27 AM »

2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 16-Jul-14, 08:21:01 AM »

heart wub2 heart

Peregrines know no borders.....
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 17-Jul-14, 05:57:27 PM »

Pigott and her mate in nest box bonding right now.  Hard to get a good shot due to glare of sunlight!  I tried though  Grin

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 20-Aug-14, 06:13:01 AM »

Miss Pigott has been in her nest box doing some house keeping this morning, she's been there for about a half hour now!  wub2
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: