THE FORUM

18-Apr-24, 06:22:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Syracuse Falcons  (Read 142376 times)
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 15-Mar-15, 07:42:53 PM »

Cam is working today!!  Someone home with back to cam so can't tell who...hoping it's Pigott!
Thanks, Carly! After so many weeks I was starting to think this cam was gone for good.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 16-Mar-15, 02:20:35 AM »

The Syracuse cam is down again, and the site shows this message:

Give it up! The falcon cam is down until at least Monday. WCS is working on a new camera. The new camera will include full streaming video.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 16-Mar-15, 03:52:03 PM »

The Syracuse cam is down again, and the site shows this message:

Give it up! The falcon cam is down until at least Monday. WCS is working on a new camera. The new camera will include full streaming video.

Great news!  Thanks!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 17-Mar-15, 05:23:22 PM »

New cam up and running!! Great view now! This is the male!!

http://falconcam.usadatanet.com/

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 17-Mar-15, 07:28:47 PM »

Egg butt???
Pigott!!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 17-Mar-15, 10:27:51 PM »

Pigott has egg butt!!!!  Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 18-Mar-15, 11:25:34 AM »

Wow, Donna! What great captures! I've been watching too, but have only seen an empty nest so far.

Wonderful to see Pigott and her mate again.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 18-Mar-15, 05:50:42 PM »

A new set of "live stream" cameras on top of the state Tower Building in downtown Syracuse will give bird watching enthusiasts a clear view of a pair of nesting peregrine falcons and their young this coming season.

For several years, there's been a nesting box on top of the building's 23rd floor. The building is located at the corner of Warren and Water streets.

Up to last year, a camera let viewers in on the birds' lives. However, at times it wasn't functioning at 100 percent and caused problems for certain internet browsers.

A new camera donated by Wholesale Carrier Services, a provider of business communications network services, was put up last week and is operating. It gives viewers a good look inside the nesting box. Check it out at falconcam.wcs.com.

Another camera is slated to be put up soon (possibly by the end of this week), giving viewers an additional perspective from above of the nesting box. It would show where the birds are perching apart from the nesting box, in addition to showing them coming and going.

"We've ironed out a few kinks (from the old system) and they should work on most computers, smart phones and tablets," said Christopher Aloi, an engineering manager for Wholesale Carrier Services.

Michael Hollenberger, facilities engineer for the building, said a state Department of Environmental Conservation staffer was present last week when the first new camera was installed. The DEC has been banding the new birds each year and keeping track of them.

Hollenberger said there's a new, unbanded male bird this year. A banded female, which was given the name "Pigott" by the Syracuse Peregrine Falcon's group, is back.

Members of the Syracuse Peregrine Falcons, who monitor the nest online and from the street below, have a Facebook page by the same name that contains frequent observations and the latest developments.

"I was told there's some indication that (Pigott) does intend to lay eggs," Hollenberger said. "She has already scratched out a (space) in the pebbles on the bottom of the nesting box."

He said the eggs would probably come during the first week of April.   2thumbsup

By David Figura | dfigura@syracuse.com
Follow on Twitter
on March 18, 2015 at 4:40 PM, updated March 18, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Pigott!!!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 18-Mar-15, 07:47:28 PM »

Someone needs to tell that DEC guy that Pigott was named in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada where she was hatched and not by the Syracuse Falcon Group.  whistle

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 19-Mar-15, 02:33:32 PM »

Someone needs to tell that DEC guy that Pigott was named in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada where she was hatched and not by the Syracuse Falcon Group.  whistle
I had the same thought, MAK! Madame X and Surge had something to do with Pigott, too . . .
« Last Edit: 19-Mar-15, 02:46:14 PM by AlisonL » Logged
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 19-Mar-15, 02:34:26 PM »

The second Syracuse cam is up and running!

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 19-Mar-15, 02:48:03 PM »

I am watching two cams more!  2thumbsup

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 19-Mar-15, 02:52:39 PM »

The second camera monitoring the pair of peregrine falcons occupying the nesting box on the 23rd floor of the state Tower Building in downtown Syracuse was put in place today.

Christopher Aloi, an engineering manager for Wholesale Carrier Services, the company that donated the camera, made the announcement today on the Syracuse Peregrine Falcons Facebook page.

Those wishing to watch the peregrines now have two viewpoints -- a view looking directly into the box, and a view from above it. See falconcam.wcs.com.

Susan Lowe Wrisley, a spokeswoman for the Syracuse Peregrine Falcons, told me today the name given to the female bird (Pigott) did not come from her group as I originally reported. It came from the Hamilton Peregrine Falcons watching group in Hamilton, Ontario.

And as for the new male bird, the Syracuse group took the initiative recently to give it a name.

"It's George," Wrisley said.

http://falconcam.wcs.com/ both cams

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 19-Mar-15, 04:20:09 PM »

Thank you for the updates, Donna. Love that photo of Pigott in the snow that you posted.

The male:

Donna, you're the expert on this nest; could this be Pigott?

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 19-Mar-15, 05:23:25 PM »

I am no way an expert but the bottom pic is Pigott as she was there for a while before when George was out on the perch!!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: