THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 08:42:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lily, the Black bear Cam  (Read 46387 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 11-Jan-10, 02:45:49 PM »

http://www.wildearth.tv/static/bearden

Watch her in her Den and soon to become a mama. Cams will catch the birth. Enjoy

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22-Jan-10, 01:42:12 PM »

Lily the Black Bear  Lily gave birth to one cub at 11:38am CST. So far we have been unable to confirm a second cub. We just haven't heard 2 cub voices.   clap

http://www.wildearth.tv/static/wildearth/channels/we_bear_den.html

NoraH
Juvie

Like Count: 26

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-Jan-10, 10:16:12 PM »

Here is a video that was posted of it, sounds like a human baby.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBNtANbW5vE
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-May-10, 09:07:37 PM »

I've been checking in on the bears sporadically since Lily & Hope left the den a while ago.  Imagine my surprise when I checked in tonight to find that Lily and Hope have been separated since Friday!  Lily wandered off leaving Hope sleeping in a tree (which they often do) and when she got back Sunday (also normal) Hope was gone and torrential rain had washed away her scent.  A search was set up and Hope was spotted yesterday & then she ran off.  She was finally treed tonight and lured down with condensed milk.  Apparently they're now taking her to Lily (who has a GPS collar) in a pet carrier and they'll see what happens from there.  Stay tuned!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-May-10, 09:14:52 PM »

Duluth News story

There's another news story that's refusing to load and I'm trying to follow the news on her facebook page-which is about impossible...in typical facebook fashion, it took me 20 pages of older posts to reach 5 minutes ago...which were all "thank God she's alive!"  Still haven't found the post with the actual news...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-May-10, 09:56:58 PM »

Looks like after one read the newspaper wants you to sign up...no thanks!

Someone posted the text...

EAGLES NEST TOWNSHIP (12 MILES WEST OF ELY) — Sue Mansfield started crying as soon as she saw the cub’s face.
Even with the cub 30 feet up a cedar tree, Ely bear researcher Mansfield knew it was Hope because of its light face.
After being missing since Friday evening, with researchers holding out little hope the cub was still alive, friends of Ely bear researcher Lynn Rogers called about 6 p.m. today to say they had a lone bear cub treed. The cub came down and was captured less than two hours later.
Mansfield and Rogers had rushed to the site, which was nearly two miles from where the cub was last seen but was in an area that the cub and its mother Lily had frequented.
“This is where it spent much of its time, but it’s amazing it made it this far away in less than a day,” Rogers said.
Mansfield said the cub covered the two miles around the lake and likely had to swim a stream on its own to find the area where it had spent time with its mother.
Now that the cub is back in safe hands, Rogers said a major question remains on whether Lily will accept it back. Because they’ve been apart for five days, Lily’s hormones may have turned to the new mating season and away from taking care of her cub.
Because Lily is fitted with a GPS collar that gives her location every 10 minutes, Rogers and Mansfield hope to find her yet tonight and reintroduce Hope to Lily to see the sow's reaction. They halted an initial attempt to reintroduce them tonight when Lily ran away from the approaching vehicles.
If Lily eventually accepts Hope, the story will end with their reunion. If not, Rogers will have to decide what to do with the cub with input from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. The cub could be raised by a wildlife rehabilitator and returned to the wild or could wind up as a captive bear at the North American Bear Center in Ely.
Hope hadn’t been seen since Friday, when she and Lily climbed a red pine to rest after a two-mile walk, Rogers said. Later Friday evening, Lily wandered more than two miles away, possibly chasing or being chased by a rival adult bear. By the time she returned Sunday, 50 hours later, Hope was gone from the tree and rain had erased any scent.
“We don’t know what happened — Lily spent the spring in very small areas, maybe 50 to 100 yards in diameter. It was hard to believe she was getting enough food — she finally left, we think to find better food, and took Hope two miles away,” Rogers said. “The last time Sue saw Lily and Hope together, about 6 p.m. Friday, they were both up a tree sleeping after the long walk.”
It took Lily until Sunday to get back to the red pine where she left Hope. But Hope was not in the area.
At nearly 4 months old, Hope is just beginning to eat food from the field and would not have been expected to survive for long on its own, Rogers said.
At this time of year, the cub’s best bet of nutrition in the wild probably would be ant pupae, Rogers said. But he noted that a young cub could not be expected to roll over logs or expose sheltered ant nests.
Lily is fitted with a collar that holds a GPS tracking unit so researchers can track and find her at any time. The cub, however, is too small to carry a collar.
Rogers, staff from the North American Bear Center and volunteers searched, as did Lily. But there had been no sign of Hope in the area. Rogers had all but resigned himself that the cub had perished.
That was until Tuesday afternoon.
Rogers said he left a pan of food in the area where the lone cub was sighted Tuesday and trained a trailcam on the meal-in-the-waiting.
As of 9 p.m. Tuesday, Rogers had not had any luck catching up to the missing cub, but he was expecting reinforcements. He said the St. Louis County Rescue Squad was on the way with a heat-sensing device that he hoped might reveal the young bear’s likely sleeping place in the tree canopy of the area.
Hope was born on Jan. 22 and left the den with Lily in late March after being watched for weeks by millions of people on the live Webcam placed in their meager den. It’s believed to be a first for a wild black bear birth in a den. Mansfield has continued to video the sow and cub since then, and she and Rogers often meet up with and spend time with the bears in the woods.
The videos and reports can be seen at www.bear.org.
Cathy Williamson of Brook, Ind., who last winter won a contest sponsored by Cub Foods to name Lily’s bear cub, echoed hundreds of messages left on Lily’s Facebook page this week.
“No matter what the outcome, little Hope will always be my shining star as well as many others’ shining star,” Williamson told the News Tribune. “She has done things for people better than any doctor could ever have done.”

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27-May-10, 06:20:00 AM »

Noticed you guys were following this too - great news Lily and Hope have been successfully reunited!

Video of the reunion - have tissue handy :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqqdkXpTfVc

Update May 26, 2010Share. Today at 11:28pm
Reunited at last!

It was the most satisfying moment of my 44 years of bear study. When Sue and I got the cub into the little carrier kennel and I saw Sue crying, I could hardly keep from breaking down myself. And then seeing Lily and Hope’s reunion was the most beautiful expression of animal emotion I have ever seen. Hope was bawling very loudly, and Lily was doing her pleasant grunts as Hope latched onto a nipple and Lily half dragged her nearer to the white pine where they had nursed together so many times in April.

Sue is readying video she took of the reunion. It’s late, and we were up half the night last night, so we’ll fill in details tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for pulling together with us as we all went through this emotional roller coaster. The roller coaster effect continued right up to the unexpectedly wonderful end. More on that tomorrow.

Thank you for the tremendous outpouring of support today. We can’t wait to meet many of you all at the Lilypad Picnic in a couple months.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27-May-10, 06:34:38 AM »

Wow, what a sweet, tender moment between Lily and Hope. This is definitely a  crying moment. Thanks Carly.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-May-10, 06:57:50 AM »

good news the_wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-May-10, 11:24:22 AM »

clap clap clap

Lucy
Big Clutch

Like Count: 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15-Jul-10, 07:08:56 AM »

Wonderful news this week about Lily and Hope!  After 6 weeks separation following the first reunion, during which Hope was given suplemental food and formula by the researchers but also foraged quite successfully, Lily (who had been off with male bears) wandered back into Hope's area and they reunited, July 11.  This time, Hope is big enough to follow Lily like glue, so we are all optimistic that they will stay together.  Also, the North American Bear Center won $100,000 in the Chase Bank contest for non-profoits, and 195 "runner-ups" won $20,000 each.  This is an annual (or semi-annual) event specifically designed for small local non-profits which use the Internet, so it seems to me that Rfalconcam would have a good chance if it is possible to enter the next time they have it. Read all about it on Lily the Black Bear's Facebook page! clap 
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 15-Jul-10, 08:21:17 AM »

This is an annual (or semi-annual) event specifically designed for small local non-profits which use the Internet, so it seems to me that Rfalconcam would have a good chance if it is possible to enter the next time they have it. Read all about it on Lily the Black Bear's Facebook page! clap 

With the addition of streaming video and improvements to reliability, hopefully Rfalconcam will be in a better position to compete for Internet nature-watching eyeballs next time.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11-Jan-11, 01:25:26 PM »

http://www.bear.org/livecams/lily-hope-cam.html Lily and Hope sleeping

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-Jan-11, 05:21:26 AM »

Ooooh! I just saw a BBC programme about Lily and Hope! I am not sure of the title, but I think it could be "The Bear Family and Me". It is amazing! Maybe you will get it on PBS, or perhaps National Geographic... but do watch for it, as it is something else. I will try to find a link later, but no doubt Donna will beat me to it! Go, Girl!

Bobbie
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-Jan-11, 05:27:20 AM »

Well, duuuh on me - I did not realise there was such a string of posts already about Lily and Hope. Still... that TV series is splendid and well worth a look... tho perhaps you have all seen it by now. I should get out more... or stay in less??

paperbag

Bobbie
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: