THE FORUM

16-Apr-24, 05:18:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ostrich egg cam  (Read 48564 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 18-Aug-13, 10:19:01 AM »

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ostrich-egg-cam-live#

Very interesting how they get through that hard shell!!
« Last Edit: 03-Jun-14, 06:29:41 AM by Shaky » Logged

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18-Aug-13, 04:04:59 PM »

http://youtu.be/MtJMXNU_ltg

Success!

Welcome to the world Pip!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-Aug-13, 06:42:23 PM »

I watched them take her out of the egg this am! She was pooped and the egg was so thick! Very cute baby!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-Aug-13, 06:58:36 PM »

clap

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-Aug-13, 08:26:23 PM »

Look at those silly little wings  wub2
« Last Edit: 18-Aug-13, 08:32:24 PM by Dumpsterkitty » Logged

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-Aug-13, 09:10:44 AM »

She needed a bigger box already!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20-Aug-13, 10:10:06 AM »

She needed a bigger box already!!

Shocked

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20-Aug-13, 10:36:21 AM »

Born 8:42 AM 8-18-2013

1.110 kilograms (2.447 pounds)
11 inches tall

Ostrich Egg Cam Live! on USTREAM: Birthing video 3 minutes [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQehyKp6DYk#]The Birth of Pip 8-18-13! :-) Summary video of entire hatching 12...[/url]

Thank you for making these incredible videos
.To answer various questions
August 19, 2013
Pip is very healthy and doing great
She (and by 'she' I mean I don't know the gender) is beginning to drink water, the spoon in the waterer is shiny and attracts her attention. Ostrich chicks need to be taught to drink water. At first we used the spoon. (syringes are hazardous in a chick, too much water and she need to learn how to drink) She will begin eating chick starter in a day or two.

She stays warm with the red glow from a heat lamp, the temperature is 90 degrees on the left and 93 degrees on the right with the teddy bear. She does have two toes, the smaller toe is pressed up against her main toe and does not separate much yet. She really responds when we walk in and runs to the side of the box to see us and get some attention. We will stop using gloves soon, when she matures enough to eat regular food we will probably stop.

She appreciates being held and talked to. Its hard for me to leave her.

http://youtu.be/YS0etjivUs4  Pip learns to drink water.
« Last Edit: 20-Aug-13, 11:01:03 AM by Donna » Logged

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22-Aug-13, 09:26:11 AM »

What a precious baby!   heart

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25-Aug-13, 04:19:07 PM »

Just read on FB that Pip passed away this AM. RIP little one. sorrow

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25-Aug-13, 04:20:55 PM »

Oh no!  Did they report the cause of death?   crying

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25-Aug-13, 06:04:53 PM »

Oh no!  Did they report the cause of death?   crying

This was said in their posting about Pip's passing:

"Pip passed away this morning around 8 AM. She seemed fine yesterday. I Don't know why,

I heard her "trill" to me at 7 AM, softly, thought she was just sleepy so I let her rest.

We are all devastated. To me Pip was not just a pet, but a loving friend and a miracle. I do thank God for allowing me the one week with Pip, she was amazing.

Her remains will be sent to the State for an investigation. I would like to know what happened.

I am postulating a possible respiratory infection or the chick food did not agree with her." `LGK`

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25-Aug-13, 06:06:47 PM »

Sad

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25-Aug-13, 11:17:27 PM »

OMG!!!! Poor baby, maybe they just didn't know how to raise a baby Ostrich!! She was pretty wild in that box. So sad. I watched every day except today. Was out all day.  heart

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27-Aug-13, 06:18:59 AM »

From the Dash family about Pip  ~LGK~ ... "Dear Friends:

Thank you for your thoughts and concern, I read many of the tributes, poetry, and gestures of sympathy. They were beautiful. Thank you for your best wishes.

I heard that many of you are worried about our family.

I was super depressed, felt gutted, had a hole in my stomach feeling yesterday, I am better today.
We I have taken hits and losses before, but this one was tough.
Our daughter has been kept busy and is not vocalizing grief any more. We are healing. Thanks

We do miss Pip, she was just so cute, and full of life, and made the sweetest sounds. You cannot replace the weeks spent incubating and turning the egg, and the excitement to see the candling development and the first crack, and the first trilling sounds. She was a gift, and we fully appreciate the time she was with us. We loved her when she was just an egg. To see a wonderful creature come out of that egg was magical.
Hearing that my mother's got joy from logging on and watching Pip made me happy, and I am sorry that pleasure is now gone.

A friend, Beverly, sent along a beautiful quote:

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

As far as what happened, the preliminary examination is that there was an intestinal infection. A final report will be available from the State lab in a few weeks.

I spoke with a couple of ostrich breeders today to see what may have been done differently. I felt a great relief for my conscience when I was told I did nothing wrong.

They said that ostrich chicks are the hardest hatchlings to mature successfully. One breeder had 5 chicks a couple of weeks ago, and none survived. Last year she had 25 chicks, and 15 survived, and she thought this was fair to good. They felt that although this was not for anyone with no training, experience or even the proper equipment, they said that I was persistent and did everything possible.
I used the same feed the breeders use for newborn chicks. I suggested they use medicated (antibiotic containing) feed, and they thought that was a good idea and may try it next time.

We were generously offered ostrich chicks that are hatching soon. I'm not sure if this is the right time or even if we are prepared to take this emotional roller coaster again.

Again, thank you for being so wonderful to us, I am very impressed with all of your kindness.

Love,
Dash"

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: