THE FORUM

18-Apr-24, 09:35:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New homes for Red Squirrels  (Read 5552 times)
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« on: 07-Oct-13, 09:39:47 AM »

Aren't they the sweetest little critters! Good luck to them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24418328
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07-Oct-13, 02:38:34 PM »

I especially like the long hairs on the ears.  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-Oct-13, 06:20:28 PM »

I loved that video! Wish we had Red ones here! So cute!! Thanks  wave

Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 07-Oct-13, 10:55:14 PM »

We do have red squirrels in the US (not the same species as in the UK, but still awfully cute).  I've only seen them in the mountains (both the Rockies and the Appalachians).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_red_squirrel
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-Oct-13, 08:06:23 AM »

We do have red squirrels in the US (not the same species as in the UK, but still awfully cute).  I've only seen them in the mountains (both the Rockies and the Appalachians).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_red_squirrel

I did not know there were American red squirrels either - til I was sitting by a stream in the Catskills and heard a chattering behind me. I turned slowly and was delighted to see one sitting only feet away. Charming.
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-Oct-13, 08:58:00 AM »

We had quite a few red squirrels, (a different species from the UK ones), in upstate NY at the eastern end of Lake Ontario.  They're smaller, friskier, and much more adorable than the grays.  Further north toward Watertown NY and the 1000 Islands into Canada, there are also black squirrels that look and behave just like the reds.

Dot in PA
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-Oct-13, 10:15:42 AM »

I did not know there were American red squirrels either - til I was sitting by a stream in the Catskills and heard a chattering behind me. I turned slowly and was delighted to see one sitting only feet away. Charming.

Yup...LOADS of them in my back yard in the foothills of the Catskills

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08-Oct-13, 12:41:36 PM »

My nephew Brian has red squirrels down in Nunda,NY. I love seeing them when I visit his place which I call paradise. I also call my sister (Brians' mom) Mary Ellens' place in Pearidge,Arkansas paradise where I've also seen red squirrels-ahh so many paradises, so little time!  wave

Here's a link to view pics I took of a red squirrel in paradise Nunda

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AaN3DFm0ZMWqivu

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Lynne in New Hampshire
Tiercel

Like Count: 35

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08-Oct-13, 01:36:58 PM »

We have red squirrels in our yard!  Never thought about them not being everywhere!  They are about half the size of grey squirrels-but they hold their own at the bird feeders they are all raiding!!

Lynne in New Hampshire
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-Oct-13, 08:08:12 AM »

Red Squirrels by Kate St John, today's blog

So cute!  But watch out, he’s fierce.

His small size, soft red fur, fluffy tail and big eyes are certainly cute but the red squirrel is also curious and combative.  I think his food habits made him that way.

Unlike gray and fox squirrels, red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) don’t bury one nut at a time.  Instead they gather food in a big cache called a midden in a hollow tree or underground.  This takes a lot of time and effort:  climb the trees, walk the branches, bite off the green cones, watch them fall, scurry down later and collect the cones, repeat the process. Along the way they pause to eat at the same prominent locations leaving debris piles, also called middens, that seem to say “I am here!â€

The red squirrel defends a 1 – 8 acre territory against everyone, especially other red squirrels.  He’s curious about new arrivals but then, watch out!

First line of defense?  Shout at the competition!  Burst into a sudden loud chatter that slows to a wheezy hiccup.  Really mad?  Jerk your tail and stamp your feet.  Really, really mad?  Chase!

In coniferous forests that’s usually another red squirrel but in mixed forests gray squirrels also get a verbal beating and relentless pursuit.  Though the red squirrels are only 1/2 to 1/3 the size of the grays, the red ones always win.

I, too, have been ejected from a red squirrel’s territory.  He used his voice.  

Now that winter is coming the red squirrels are changing into their drabber winter coats and rushing to increase their middens.  They have no patience for anyone.

Cute… ?

Don’t push me!

Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 09-Oct-13, 09:52:53 PM »

Unlike gray and fox squirrels, red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) don’t bury one nut at a time.  Instead they gather food in a big cache called a midden in a hollow tree or underground.  This takes a lot of time and effort:  climb the trees, walk the branches, bite off the green cones, watch them fall, scurry down later and collect the cones, repeat the process. Along the way they pause to eat at the same prominent locations leaving debris piles, also called middens, that seem to say “I am here!â€

I once spent about 10 minutes just watching a red squirrel in Yellowstone do this...he had dug out a hole between the roots of a big pine, and he was tirelessly running around collecting cones, ferrying them to his hole, stuffing them in enthusiastically, then running back for the next cone.  I admired his hard work, and walked down the trail hoping he would get through the fall without a grizzly bear discovering his cache.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: