THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 02:22:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Sightings  (Read 5777 times)
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« on: 29-Nov-13, 01:16:12 PM »

As many of you know, I live and work in Rochester but I am still a newbie to falcon watching and falcon cam watching, starting in 2011 when there were no hatches at this site.  The positive identification of Rosetta at Long Point with photographs is the first "official" ID of a Rochester eyas that I've had the pleasure to experience.  Although I was very excited to hear that Baron was sighted at Montezuma, I somehow didn't feel that was official without seeing band photographs.

Although I first heard this news last night, I still feel like dancing a jig. So to the others on this board I ask, who is the first Rochester-born falcon that you followed while being raised and then heard of a positive ID at another location?  And did you walk around with a lilt in your step and a smile on your face for a long time too after you heard the news?

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29-Nov-13, 01:47:00 PM »

That would be Rhea Mae for me.

The year she hatched...2006...was the year Mariah was injured just as the eggs were hatching. We lost 2 hatchlings that year so the 3 that survived were extra special to all of us.

There was a bittersweet moment when Rhea Mae was spotted at the Sheraton Toronto. I had been following Wind and Windwhistler there, though not as closely as Rochester. I was sad to see Wind displaced, but oh so happy it was Rhea Mae who took over.

I still get teary eyed at the memory...and now that her son Stormin' is successfully nesting...some days you just need a tissue box mounted on the computer!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 29-Nov-13, 02:20:12 PM »

So to the others on this board I ask, who is the first Rochester-born falcon that you followed while being raised and then heard of a positive ID at another location?  And did you walk around with a lilt in your step and a smile on your face for a long time too after you heard the news?

I assume you meant a positive ID at another location AND in good health? For me, that would be Ranger showing up in Toronto, the birthplace of her father,  in 2002. It was very exciting news.
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-Nov-13, 02:57:10 PM »

Yes, absolutely AND in good health.  And that's interesting that Ranger showed up at the birthplace of her father.  Rosetta has the right country but wrong direction to do that.  Long Point is considerably south of Etobicoke, and it's even slightly south (and west) of Rochester.

And Rhea Mae, what a lovely bird and a great mother she turned out to be.  Sometimes knowledge of their whereabouts can be bittersweet, I'm sure.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-Nov-13, 03:11:12 PM »

Rosetta has the right country but wrong direction to do that.  Long Point is considerably south of Etobicoke, and it's even slightly south (and west) of Rochester.

And just about due north of Pittsburgh...she could be headed toward Beauty's birthplace.

Callidora sorrow wasn't far from Pittsburgh when she was injured...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-Nov-13, 03:18:52 PM »

Rosetta has the right country but wrong direction to do that.  Long Point is considerably south of Etobicoke, and it's even slightly south (and west) of Rochester.

And just about due north of Pittsburgh...she could be headed toward Beauty's birthplace.

Callidora sorrow wasn't far from Pittsburgh when she was injured...

I was thinking either PA or even Ohio...Seneca ended up there.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-Nov-13, 03:23:32 PM »

That thought crossed my mind too.  It's just about a straight line down to Pittsburgh from Long Point.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-Nov-13, 08:16:15 PM »

For me it was Quest. The year of Mariah and Kavers' last brood is when I started watching online. I was lucky enough to take a trip to Canada with Joyce to not only see Quest but Kendal as well at the Pickering Power Plant when she was hanging out there. I still walk on air over that experience... heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-Nov-13, 08:23:03 PM »

For me, it was Ranger. Big smile -- check. Spring in my step -- check.
The best news was Alkyonis, who must have set a record for number of times found grounded and rescued. People talked about how she should have been considered non-releasable. Years later, she reappeared with a territory and a mate.

Paul
valhalla
« Reply #9 on: 30-Nov-13, 10:13:44 AM »

That would be Rhea Mae for me.

Me, too.  And of course, my "Red"; aka Sabrina/Valiant (RIP).
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30-Nov-13, 01:00:03 PM »

Thanks all!  Keep those stories coming!  I love hearing Rochester falcon history and am glad that feeling of euphoria is common.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: