THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 06:40:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36] 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest (2008) and Skye - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 314559 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: 14-Jun-16, 02:07:23 PM »

clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: 28-Jun-16, 12:49:02 PM »

crying crying crying crying

!!! McKinney or Mac as he was nick-named has been put-down as a result of his injuries!
June 28, 2016 - Toronto - Don Mills and Eglinton - Amexon

Mark Nash Reports:

June 28th - 2016
We have some terrible news to report about Mac,, the new resident adult male with Quest at the Duncan Mills nest site.

Sadly, we have just received a call from Lisa at the TWC that an adult peregrine with Red tape, banded with a Black Canadian Recovery band W over 78 was just received from the Toronto Animal Services moments ago after being picked up from the streets on Bayview Ave., with multiple bone breaks and fractures along with severe internal trauma. Black W over 78 turns out to be McKinney,, Quests mate!!

Unfortunately Mac, (McKinney) had to be put down, as there was absolutely no way of saving him given the extent of his injuries and internal trauma.

McKinney,, (or Mac as he was nick-named), was produced at the Don Mills and Eglinton nest site at the Amexon building in 2014. Mac re-appeared out of the blue late this season where he replaced the existing resident adult male (Sky) at the Duncan Mills nest site where Quest and Sky were already involved in full time incubation of four fertile eggs.

Incredibly, Mac, assisted Quest with both with her incubation duties of the four eggs, and then adopted the hatchlings and assisted with feeding and raising them as if they were his own!

We were all waiting and closely watching with baited breath to see if Mac would continue on with the role as a father. He proved himself and proceeded to both assist with the feeding of the four hatchlings and then carry on with the other parental duties throughout. He has in fact been flight training the four fledglings as we documented during the fledge watch several weeks ago!!

Sadly, it looks like Quest is now on her own once again to finish the flight training of her four fledglings and to teach them to hunt, (a role that is usually undertaken by the adult male).

We will be watching closely again to see if Quest will be able to keep up with the demands of her four fledglings again this season!

As you may recall, the same thing happened to poor Quest several seasons ago when her long standing mate “Kendal” was found injured and Quest was left to raise her four fledglings on her own for the balance of the season. Kendal was not able to be returned back to the wild given the severity of his injuries.

Quest was successful as a single parent that year, (although two years younger),, but there is no reason to believe that she should have any problems this time, so long as she herself stays out of the traffic and clear of the buildings!!!!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: 28-Jun-16, 12:57:47 PM »

Oh nooooooo! Fly free McKinley. Please let Quest be able to raise her young on her own. Thanks to all those watching over her.  crying heart

huddiecat
Juvie

Like Count: 44

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: 28-Jun-16, 01:51:11 PM »

How crushing for Quest and her family  crying   Sad  Hoping all will go well for Quest and her family!  She's a wonderfully strong and capable gal!!

Suzanne in Ithaca
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: 28-Jun-16, 04:15:26 PM »

I am so heartbroken over all the disasters at this site since Kendal's injuries. It's been bad juju since!! Poor Mac! Fly free little guy!! Hope Skye is slinking in the wings and comes back!! Quest is a great mom and will do what needs to be done. She's like an Army General!! I salute her!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: 28-Jun-16, 06:15:19 PM »

Heartbreaking news. crying  Fly free, McKinney!  sorrow

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: 28-Jun-16, 06:21:34 PM »

This is so sad!!!  Fly free, little one Cry

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: 28-Jun-16, 08:07:36 PM »

Quest sure has had a rough time of it this year. I'm very sorry about McKinley and hope Quest can handle raising her family alone.

Dot in PA
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: 29-Jun-16, 10:33:10 PM »

I'm confident our girl Quest will do what needs to be done for her kids. After all, she was brought up by one of the best!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: 13-Jul-17, 12:43:17 PM »

I know this is an old topic but Cosmo is Quest and Skye's son so I put it here - feel free to move if you like.

Some fantastic news...thanks to CPF watcher Lucie!  Belle (Beauty's sister and Unity's mama) and Allens daughter Dr Jane is Cosmo's mate and they have two babies!  

From CPF Facebook:

Canadian Peregrine Foundation
44 mins

A new nest site in St. Mary's, Ontario, has been discovered and its family of peregrine falcons is getting a lot of attention. So much that they even made the headlines in the local newspaper! (I have attached a link)

At the time this article went to press, we knew about dad. He's COSMO (W/73), 2014 hatch at Duncan Mills, North York. He is the son of the famous Quest (from Rochester, New York) and her mate Skye (Toronto boy, from Bloor/Islington). There are two surviving juveniles, the second having fledged just a few days ago. As I observed yesterday, both juvies are flying well.

I am happy to report that after much determination, I have managed to ID the female! She is DR. JANE (32/Z), 2014 hatch from University of Toledo in Ohio. She is the daughter of Belle and Allen, and yesterday I learned the bittersweet story behind this couple and why Dr. Jane is a very special falcon. Belle (hatched in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 2003) and Allen (hatched in Lima, Ohio in 2004) have been together since late 2006. They produced 24 offspring from 2007-2014. In 2014, Belle was attacked by another female and was seriously hurt .. while incubating her four eggs! Two eggs hatched and Belle, even in her injured state, took care of them. It was not expected that these eggs would hatch, much less thrive and fledge, but they did! And one of them, Dr. Jane, is now a mother of two in St. Mary's!

Belle never returned to the nest, and as of 2015, Allen has been with a new female, so the legacy of Belle continues with Dr. Jane as her last child. I don't know the status of Dr. Jane's brother, Tennant.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: 13-Jul-17, 12:58:11 PM »

Great news Carly, thank you. Hard to keep up with these falcons and their lineage!! Sometimes I have to read these things over and over until I finally get who they are!! LOL   thumbsup

My brother's sister-in-laws brother's fathers son. Like that!!  stupid

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: 13-Jul-17, 01:00:58 PM »

Dr Jane would be Unity's younger sister and Beauty's niece Smiley   Cosmo would also be DotCa's nephew through DC's brother Skye.    

So ... they have to bring a gift to the house warming now  lol
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: 13-Jul-17, 01:09:40 PM »

Great news Carly, thank you. Hard to keep up with these falcons and their lineage!! Sometimes I have to read these things over and over until I finally get who they are!! LOL   thumbsup

My brother's sister-in-laws brother's fathers son. Like that!!  stupid

ditto

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: 13-Jul-17, 01:35:51 PM »

These juvies are descended from the legendary pairings of Mariah and Kaver and Dorothy and Erie.  WOW!  Super falcons!!!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: 16-Jul-17, 06:41:49 AM »

I know some people don't like that the falcons are banded, but I just love to know who they are and where they come from. Thanks for this wonderful news Carly!

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36] 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: