THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 06:18:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lurkers Come Out Day! 2015  (Read 24548 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« on: 12-Feb-15, 08:50:10 AM »

This would be a great time to hold our "Lurkers Come Out Day"  paperbag, while we wait for Beauty and Dot.ca to start becoming more active at the nest box. falcon2 falcon

Winter has an iron grip on Western NY, but Spring will be here before we know it.   yahoo

There are many members of this forum that we have not been introduced to or have been in hibernation for awhile.  It would be a perfect time to come out of lurkerdom and say hello!   wave

Don't be shy!  We all started out as a lurker.  I remember the day I posted for the first time on the old Kodak Birdcam forum.  I asked a question and it took me a long time to hit the send button.  I sat there and waited.  Would someone answer me?  Yes!  A couple minutes after I posted my question, someone posted an answer.  I was so excited.   cheerleader

So, this is the perfect time to post a question or just a "hi there, nice to meet ya!"   hiya

If you used to post, we would love to hear from you.  It's always a special treat to hear from old friends.   handshake

Aafke had a great idea!  Here are some questions that we would like to ask new and old members!

How many years have you followed the Rochester Falcons?
What was your favorite moment from last year?
Who was your favorite falcon and why?
Tell us something about some nature thing close to your house?

Let "Lurkers Come Out Day, 2015" begin!!!   clap   logo

« Last Edit: 12-Feb-15, 09:57:03 AM by Carol P. » Logged

Peregrines know no borders.....
amytraveler
Eyas

Like Count: 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12-Feb-15, 09:38:44 AM »

I guess I'm a winter lurker, but very active in season.  Been watching since Mariah and Kavar, I believe 2003.
Favorite moment last year, actually 2.  1.  When Tess (I think it was Tess), stood up on banding day and 2.  When Tess made it back to the NB after being close to the street.

Jeannine
amytraveler
Eyas

Like Count: 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-Feb-15, 09:41:53 AM »

Oops, nature, close to my house.  We feed the birds, have many cardinal families who breed in the woods behind our house.  I don't know what will happen if we ever moved as most of them think their natural food source comes from a grey haired man carrying sunflower seeds.  LOL. Also Peregrines at Niagara Falls, 7 miles away.

Jeannine
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-Feb-15, 09:43:51 AM »

The way I figure, we have 883 members, out of those 883 members, approximately 620 are LURKERS!!!!!

It's time people, you signed up for this, time to come out of hiding and say HI!!!!  wave

Like Carol said, no time like the present...(today) to come on out!!!  lurker

I also lurked before I first posted on the Kodak Bird forum, was scary not knowing if someone would welcome me and say Hii!! They did and well..... 22,401 posts later, just on this forum alone!!  scared blue here I is!!!  Yes Bobbie, grammar, I know!!

Waiting!!!
   whistle

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-Feb-15, 10:03:07 AM »

I guess I'm a winter lurker, but very active in season.  Been watching since Mariah and Kavar, I believe 2003.
Favorite moment last year, actually 2.  1.  When Tess (I think it was Tess), stood up on banding day and 2.  When Tess made it back to the NB after being close to the street.

Hi Jeannine!  Good to hear from you.  Yes, poor Tesh was blown off of the nest box ledge by a strong gust of wind!  She got into a bit of trouble, but soon found her way back to the nest box.  falcon
« Last Edit: 12-Feb-15, 10:18:02 AM by Carol P. » Logged

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-Feb-15, 10:17:00 AM »

Ah, Tesh the drama queen, yes. But it is Tesh, not Tess.  Here she is peering in the window of the Aqueduct Building on the day of her fledge. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-Feb-15, 10:18:33 AM »

Come one lurker, come all!  I lurked for a year before even signing up on the forum. Once I did that there was no stopping me.  Smiley

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-Feb-15, 10:35:40 AM »

Grammar?? Moi!?

A big round of applause for any Lurker who comes out of Lurkdom. Look at those we might not have met who are now invaluable parts of the daily Falcon Watch. (MAK?? Your cheeks burning?!)

wave
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-Feb-15, 11:04:02 AM »

Oh yes they are Bobbie! I started watching in 2008, the last year Mariah and Kaver nested on Kodak Office-lurking for quite some time until Donna and Janet called me out. I mostly posted smileys in the beginning but as you know I have quite a bit to say now with over 9000 posts not including all the tweets thru the years. My favorite moment last year was seeing falcons flying in the High Falls Gorge. My favorite falcon is and has been Beauty as you all should know. And as far as nature near where I live-well, I have 2 falcons that hang out on my Seneca Towers apartment building named Billie and 99!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12-Feb-15, 11:10:06 AM »

So, Lurkers!  Now that you've heard from some of the regulars (that used to be lurkers), it's your turn to add your voice to the Rochester Falcon family.

Please sign into the forum and c'mon in.  The water's fine!   wave

schlaf374
Juvie

Like Count: 58

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12-Feb-15, 11:38:48 AM »

I've been a semi-lurker since late 2004. I'm not big on writing, so I don't post often.
I got really hooked on the old Kodak cam watching the antics of Aconcagua aka "Little Bit".
Most of my question were always answered by reading what others wrote. That saved me the trouble of asking.
 Last years memorable moments  were watching Nettie's interaction with Nor'easter after he met up with the wall. She was such a devoted sister.
 Most of our bird visitor this year are woodpeckers, cardinals and blue jays.. My neighbor has a coopers hawk that's a regular. It took him a while to figure out why he kept finding bird parts in his lawn.
Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-Feb-15, 01:31:44 PM »

I've been a semi-lurker since late 2004. I'm not big on writing, so I don't post often.
I got really hooked on the old Kodak cam watching the antics of Aconcagua aka "Little Bit".
Most of my question were always answered by reading what others wrote. That saved me the trouble of asking.
 Last years memorable moments  were watching Nettie's interaction with Nor'easter after he met up with the wall. She was such a devoted sister.
 Most of our bird visitor this year are woodpeckers, cardinals and blue jays.. My neighbor has a coopers hawk that's a regular. It took him a while to figure out why he kept finding bird parts in his lawn.

If I remember wel, isn't your name Linda?

So nice to read these posts.
greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
valhalla
« Reply #12 on: 12-Feb-15, 02:02:36 PM »

Oh yes they are Bobbie! I started watching in 2008, the last year Mariah and Kaver nested on Kodak Office-lurking for quite some time until Donna and Janet called me out. I mostly posted smileys in the beginning but as you know I have quite a bit to say now with over 9000 posts not including all the tweets thru the years. My favorite moment last year was seeing falcons flying in the High Falls Gorge. My favorite falcon is and has been Beauty as you all should know. And as far as nature near where I live-well, I have 2 falcons that hang out on my Seneca Towers apartment building named Billie and 99!  wave

LOL!  Once you got started.....
 rofl
bess440
Eyas

Like Count: 15

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-Feb-15, 02:27:29 PM »

Okay - you've shamed me into leaving lurkdom.  I go back to the Kodak Birdcam and started watching after Cabot-Sirocco.  I don't know if that was 2006 or 2007.  So I must say that my favorite falcons are Mariah, Kaver, and their son, Havoc.  I loved watching M&K and their offspring when they nested on the Kodak Tower.  My office has a view of the former nest box and High Falls.  I really miss those times.  Our office will be moving this Spring to B&L (now Legacy Tower), so I'm hopeful I'll be able to see Beauty and DC and their offspring on my lunch hours!  As for our nature at home, we feed the birds (and squirrels, deer, rabbits, etc.) year round and truly enjoy watching them, especially when they're building their nests and raising their young.  We also have a red-tail hawk couple in our back yard, although my husband found a deceased red-tail up the road.  I guess we'll have to wait and see if one or both come back to the nest.  We also have a Coopers Hawk up the road, as well as hearing owls hooting in the morning while it's still dark.  I think they're barn owls. We also have ducks in our creek when it's not frozen and Great Blue Herons flying around.  Can't be sure.  Anyway, I check Falconcam every day, and confess I am a lurker.  I really enjoy all of the reports and all the other posts from our members.  Keep up the good work, and I hope to come out of lurkdom and into watching mode this Spring  Cheesy  Sue (Bess)
schlaf374
Juvie

Like Count: 58

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-Feb-15, 03:19:29 PM »

If I remember wel, isn't your name Linda?

So nice to read these posts.
greetings Aafke

yes it is
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: